Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin 101

Old 04-14-2014, 01:56 PM   #1
Stanith

Default Reloaded Die for previous die roll

Hi,

In a game of munchkin I had the other day a few of us were in disagreement over a particular situation, I thought I'd come here to get some clarification on what the official rules should be! I'll describe it as best I can:

- I was facing two monsters and had failed to beat them, so I decided to Run Away.
- I announced that I was running away from Monster A, rolled successfully, then announced that it had been successful (in no particular haste).
- I then announced that I was running away from Monster B, rolled successfully again, then announced that fact.
- I then picked up the cards (to discard them), and while discarding one player announces that they have two Reloaded Die cards and want to use them to nullify both of my Run Away attempts.

This is where the dispute occurred. I argued that they could change my last roll (albeit a grey area, as they had their chance and I was discarding the cards), however that they could not change them both because the first die was no longer even on the table (the card specifically says if I remember correctly that you're meant to pick up the die and change it, but it was no longer there any more because it had been rolled again). I also argued that the whole point of Munchkin is that you get a chance to react, and then once something else has occurred you cannot turn back time (unless time was unreasonably withheld in order to cheat and prevent people reacting). Two of us agreed this was the case, but two disagreed (their argument was that it was valid because it wouldn't change the outcome of the second roll, they were completely separate events). In the end I felt bad because I owned the game and therefore had the final say, but was also biased as it was my turn. Was I correct in allowing them to only change my last roll, or should they have been allowed to change both my dice rolls?

Thanks! :)
Stanith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 02:19 PM   #2
Brf

Default Re: Reloaded Die for previous die roll

You are correct. The Reloaded Die can only be used to change a roll that has just happened. You cannot retroactively change an event after a following event has happened. Once you have rolled the second run-away roll, it is too late to change the first. In Munchkin events happen sequentially.
Brf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 02:20 PM   #3
MunchkinMan

I would say that once you picked up the cards to discard them, it was too late to play anything. At best, as you guessed correctly, they could only affect the last roll, but I would only be that charitable with a newer player. More experienced players should know better than to try to pull those kind of shenanigans. . .
MiB #1029
MunchkinMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 02:24 PM   #4
Mister Ed

They definitely couldn't change the first roll at that point. Once you successfully Ran Away from that monster, and moved on to the next, that action was resolved. It was too late to play a card to effect that first Run Away roll.

What if the person had only ONE Reloaded Die card? The way they seem to want to play it, it sounds like they would be able to wait until AFTER you had rolled to Run Away from both monsters, THEN choose which one they wanted to use the Reloaded die on. That is CLEARLY not fair. The decision to use a Reloaded Die card MUST follow the die roll it is intended to alter, not be thrown in retroactively after you get to see the resolution of multiple rolls...
Mister Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 03:08 PM   #5
Stanith

Thanks a lot for the replies, that's what I thought! The player who wanted to use the cards wasn't an experienced player so I don't blame them, but then none of us playing were exactly experts at Munchkin really. :)
Stanith is offline   Reply With Quote