Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-12-2019, 12:01 PM   #11
evileeyore
Banned

Default Re: [Basic] Disadvantage of the Week: Increased Life Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaevictis Asmadi View Post
So I'm guessing then that ILS (Massive or Large) isn't something that happens just for having a large SM, except in cramped quarters on a ship or spaceship.
Exactly, Massive isn't about the creature's size, but the size (the logistics) of their life support requirements.
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 12:37 PM   #12
johndallman
Night Watchman

Quote:
I must say, I'm finding these [X] of the Week threads very informative.
That is rather the point of them; to look at the way traits are used in games, and find new and interesting possibilities. See my signature for indexes.
johndallman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 12:48 PM   #13
Ulzgoroth

Increased Life Support specifically pertains to increased demands in a life support situation. It doesn't really address the related problem of turning a lot more gameplay situations into life support situations if
Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs View Post
I would say not even then. That part is accounted for just by being big and awkward. You don't have to pay points for being SM -4 and taking up far less space than a human; you shouldn't get points back for being SM +4.
Of course, there are some real doubts about whether SM as a feature is really fair even in its best contexts. I think it's not really questionable that it's not at all fair if the limitations of enclosed life support environments are a significant factor for your game.
Old 01-12-2019, 01:29 PM   #14
Vaevictis Asmadi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulzgoroth View Post
It doesn't really address the related problem of turning a lot more gameplay situations into life support situations if
if.... fnord? :)

Quote:
Of course, there are some real doubts about whether SM as a feature is really fair even in its best contexts. I think it's not really questionable that it's not at all fair if the limitations of enclosed life support environments are a significant factor for your game.
I think that may be what ILS (Large) variant in Space addresses. I'm not certain.

Published GURPS Settings
(as of 4/2013 -- I hope to update it someday...)
Vaevictis Asmadi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 02:11 PM   #15
Ulzgoroth

Quote:
if.... fnord? :)
Indeed, oops.

If the character has many of the kinds of needs that produce Increased Life Support.

Though not necessarily all of them - if you have ILS(Radioactive) because you are radioactive, that doesn't really mean you need more life support but rather that your presence means 'normal' humans need more life support!
Old 01-12-2019, 05:22 PM   #16
RogerBW

Quote:
Though not necessarily all of them - if you have ILS(Radioactive) because you are radioactive, that doesn't really mean you need more life support but rather that your presence means 'normal' humans need more life support!
For the "you are radioactive" version, if you want to interact in a normal society of non-radioactive people (without killing them), you need to carry around your radiation armour.

(After all, this trait is only the logistics aspect.)
RogerBW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 05:50 PM   #17
whswhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerBW View Post
For the "you are radioactive" version, if you want to interact in a normal society of non-radioactive people (without killing them), you need to carry around your radiation armour.

(After all, this trait is only the logistics aspect.)
If the campaign is set on a planet with intense radiation everywhere, humans would have ILS and indigenous lifeforms would not, of course.

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
whswhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 02:47 AM   #18
RogerBW

Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs View Post
If the campaign is set on a planet with intense radiation everywhere, humans would have ILS and indigenous lifeforms would not, of course.
Yeah, this is a thing where GURPS inevitably has to give up some of its genericity and universality; I think the best solution is probably to extend the Reference Society tool, most conveniently described in GURPS Fantasy: Portal Realms.
RogerBW is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
disadvantage of the week, increased life support