Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-01-2020, 06:51 AM   #1
AlexanderHowl

Default Beastfolk

Beastfolk are human-animal chimeras or hybrids that are a major feature of many fantasy, horror, and science fiction settings, as well as anime and video games (we will also include fungifolk and plantfolk in the discussion). Whether natural or created, species of beastfolk can add depth and wonder to a setting, though there are a few things to consider:

1. How biologically similar are they to humans? Are they sexually or even reproductively compatible to humans? If the former, how does each group accept such relationships? If the latter, what is the nature of the resulting children? (While it is simply easier if the children take after the mother, that is not the only possibility).

2. How psychologically similar are they to humans? Are they humans with fur? Are they psychological hybrids? Are they beasts with human intelligence and humanoid physiology?

3. What is their place in society? Are they equal to humans? Inferior? Superior? Monstrous? If there are multiple species, are they all treated the same or is each species treated differently? (For example, rat folk are treated as inferiors while rabbit folk are treated as equals)

How have you used beastfolk in your games? Have they been a good addition for NPCs or PCs? What have been your favorite beastfolk?
AlexanderHowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 08:58 PM   #2
Varyon

Default Re: Beastfolk

I'll answer this with regards to my Oubliette setting, which is intended as a DF setting. As a brief introduction, there are 6 "human" races - elves, dwarves, havlin (halflings), nornu (giants), malofae (catfolk), and pixies. Yes, all 6 are referred to under the generic term "human" in the setting (although the nornu just look like humans scaled up to SM+1), and there's no race that actually matches "normal" humans. There are also monsters, who originate from the dungeon; monsters are strongly inclined to protect their home dungeon, but those who survive the destruction of their home dungeon no longer have any such compulsion; some manage to integrate into human society, often as adventurers themselves. The malofae and the humanoid monsters are basically beastfolk (and with their intelligence, many of the non-humanoid monsters should probably count as well); pixies might count as well, but really their only beast-like aspect are insect wings (they're also tiny - SM -5).

The dungeons in Oubliette form on their own, and produce monsters to protect the dungeon, expand it, and go on occasional raids of nearby human settlements. Dungeons have a sort of "miasma" that slowly corrupts humans who enter it; this will (after some time) cause the character to be disinclined to leave the dungeon or destroy its core (eventually to the point of actively fighting back if anyone tries to make them leave or attack the core), and can even addle the mind such that the character has difficulty distinguishing friend from foe. Staying in too long irreversibly corrupts the character; most adventurers die upon reaching such terminal corruption. A few adventurers* (and the bulk of captured non-adventurers - the rest die as above) will instead be turned into something akin to mindless breeding livestock for the monsters. A tiny fraction of adventurers instead become demons, maintaining sapience but having their minds twisted into absolute servitude to the dungeon. Monsters will attempt to capture humans when feasible; captured humans have their wounds treated and gear confiscated and are locked away to let the corruption do its thing, giving their allies (or other adventurers who happen to be exploring the dungeon around the same time) the chance to rescue them**. Breeders and demons die if removed from the dungeon, or if the dungeon collapses. With all that out of the way...

*I intend to give players who have their characters reach terminal corruption the choice of if they want their character to die or sort-of live on as mindless breeders, making it clear there is no way to restore the character in either case; I expect the vast majority will opt to have their character die with some dignity. For those who opt otherwise, there's a tiny chance - which goes up the higher the character's Quintessence is - the character will turn into a demon instead.

**A captured human typically succumbs more quickly to the corruption than one actively exploring the dungeon. This is because they are kept from sleeping (their accommodations aren't very accommodating, and monsters tend to rap on their cell doors or make other noises if they try to nod off), eating, or drinking while locked away, but the miasma doesn't allow characters to lose FP from this - instead, the miasma sustains the characters, with each FP they would have otherwise lost instead causing corruption. Active delvers need to also be cautious of this and carefully track time, with regular breaks for sleep, food and drink to keep the corruption from taking hold too quickly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderHowl View Post
1. How biologically similar are they to humans? Are they sexually or even reproductively compatible to humans? If the former, how does each group accept such relationships? If the latter, what is the nature of the resulting children?.
Genetically, all 6 human races and all of the monsters are human. Elves, dwarves, havlin, and nornu are all compatible with each other, but couplings within a race are more likely to result in offspring. Malofae and pixies are compatible with each other and the other human races (although pixies usually don't couple with other races, due to... mechanical constraints), but couplings with one of the four previous races are more likely to result in offspring than couplings with each other, or even within their own race. Monsters are compatible with humans (but couplings with malofae or pixies are less likely to result in offspring), but are not reproductively compatible with each other, not even if they are the same species (although recreational sex is a thing amongst same-race monsters).

Monsters in most dungeons will only attempt to couple with breeders, and are indeed unaware coupling is even possible with humans who haven't been restructured by the dungeon. Demons (humans turned into monsters by the dungeon) are an exception here, being universally sterile, although there are a related class of monster called cambions; they look and function identically to demons, but have a different origin (being born as cambions, rather than born as humans and transformed into demons) and can both survive outside of the dungeon and breed with humans. Some rare cambions can breed with other cambions.

Monsters who have survived a dungeon's destruction are all at least second generation (meaning they have one human parent; first generation monsters - those created directly by the dungeon - die when the dungeon is destroyed). They are still unable to breed with each other, and thus must rely on humans to expand their population.

Society frowns on couplings between different human races. Human-monster couplings are generally considered abhorrent, and humans who have been known to participate in such are often ostracized (women far more-so than men).

Halfbreeds don't exist. For couplings amongst the first four human races (elves, dwarves, havlin, nornu), or couplings between malofae and pixies, roughly 60% of offspring will have the same race as the mother, 40% will have the same race as the father. For couplings between malofae or pixies and the first four human races, if the mother is one of the first four races there's roughly a 40% chance the offspring will match the race of the mother, 60% it will match the race of the father. If the mother is a malofae or pixie, there's roughly an 80% chance the offspring will match the race of the mother, 20% it will match the race of the father.

With dungeon monster-human couplings, 100% of offspring are the same type of monster as the monstrous parent. With free monster-human couplings, there's a tiny chance (probably less than 1%, but I haven't decided yet) the offspring will match the human parent, otherwise it matches the monstrous one. This chance goes up if the human parent is a malofae, a pixies, or a female (the highest chance is with a malofae/pixie mother).

Quote:
How psychologically similar are they to humans? Are they humans with fur? Are they psychological hybrids? Are they beasts with human intelligence and humanoid physiology?
The first four human races are pretty much human in mindset, although there's some slight behavioral differences due to different morphology (although cultural differences will largely trump these). Malofae have some catlike behaviors, and pixies tend to be hyperactive, but they're mostly human. Dungeon monsters are fairly intelligent, often roughly on par with humans, but are consumed with an overwhelming desire to protect and expand the dungeon. Free monsters have somewhat-hybrid psychology between human and whatever sort of animal they resemble, but leaning more toward human - their quirks are more pronounced than those of malofae and pixies, but not terribly so.

Quote:
What is their place in society? Are they equal to humans? Inferior? Superior? Monstrous?
The 6 human races are roughly equal in society, although the malofae and pixies - being the most different from the others - tend to suffer a bit more discrimination (but not to the extent of having a Social Stigma). Dungeon monsters are... well, monsters, and are kill on sight. Free monsters typically lack legal protection, but humans tend to be more inclined to try to talk and do business. They typically suffer from Social Stigma (Monster), although this can be effectively reduced to be more akin to Social Stigma (Second Class Citizen) by things like Reputation, Guild memberships (the Adventurer's Guild is a popular choice; women also tend to join to offset their Social Stigma (Valuable Property)), etc.
Old 01-01-2020, 09:56 PM   #3
Refplace

I have three types in my Chalice World setting.
Chimera are the most common and well known. They were created by a trickster god called Chimera who would just merge two or more races and create a new hybrid. They can breed with humans or their animal counterparts but normally breed among themselves. They also have access to special divine based powers (even the non-sapient ones).

The Blessed are generally pure animal types but fully sapient, very rare, and also of divine origin. They breed with the normal animals but often choose to not breed at all unless they can find others of their kind. This contributes to their rarity.

Fera are the final type and they are lycanthropes and their descendants.

The Blessed are so rare they are assumed to be exceptional animals unless they start talking. At which point they are treated with some fear and respect, possibly considered mages but if known to be of the Blessed its more respect and deferment than fear, though hurting one is considered likely to attract divine wrath.

Fera have their own society and generally stay outside of cities and generally hide their abilities among most humans. Not from fear so much as a privacy thing. They have no special rules or treatment of them and generally they are treated as shamans (which they usually are) or mages.

Chimera are the most well known and generally treated as sterotypes. They include Coatl, Centaurs, Griffons (animal intelligence), Gryphons (falcon sized but sentient) .

There are also non human type intelligent races such as Leapers (kangaroos with hands), dolphins, merfolk, chelone (sea turtles), Fauns, Gravers (large weasels), Khemites (humanoid bears), Koads (trees), Reptillians, mudfolk (just weird) tat are considered of mundane origin. They only breed with themselves and have their own society or place in a larger parent society.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 11:18 AM   #4
Humabout

Beast-folk are the monstrous human-animal hybrids. They are marked by corruption and killed on sight by any sane person with the means. They typically congregate in tribes in the wild lands beyond the reach of society, amd form warbands that raid human civilization for loot. Once in a while, a BBEG will gather than for footsoldiers in his legion of doom. Killing them evokes no sense of remorse or ambivolence. They are pure evil and need killing. Only another monster would feel sorry for or empathize with them. And you know what we do with monsters...

Quote:
1. How biologically similar are they to humans? Are they sexually or even reproductively compatible to humans? If the former, how does each group accept such relationships? If the latter, what is the nature of the resulting children? (While it is simply easier if the children take after the mother, that is not the only possibility).
They are as biologically similar as an animal and a person are. They are definitely sexually reproductive with humans. Horror stories about them raping during their pillaging abound. Their offspring are particularly malevolent beastmen born of chaos. Why would they possibly take after their mothers (unless their mother was the one doing the raping)?

Quote:
2. How psychologically similar are they to humans? Are they humans with fur? Are they psychological hybrids? Are they beasts with human intelligence and humanoid physiology?
They are monsters born of chaos who seek only to defile what humanity creates. Their motives are moot; they just are. Beast-men tend to behave as intelligent animals with a malevolent, sadistic, and aggressive bent.

Quote:
3. What is their place in society? Are they equal to humans? Inferior? Superior? Monstrous? If there are multiple species, are they all treated the same or is each species treated differently? (For example, rat folk are treated as inferiors while rabbit folk are treated as equals)
Again....beastmen are monsters. They are to be killed on soght without remorse unless you are the kind of weirdo who deserves to be killed on sight without remorse.

Free Stuff:
Dungeon Action!
Totem Spirits

My Blog: Above the Flatline.
Humabout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 10:53 AM   #5
Luke Bunyip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humabout View Post
Beast-folk are the monstrous human-animal hybrids.... as biologically similar as an animal and a person are. They are definitely sexually reproductive with humans. Horror stories about them raping during their pillaging abound.
Giving birth to a beast man (they all seem to be male) is invariably fatal for the human host. Women, men, children and the elderly. Beast folk don't seem to care who they rape.

And on a different note, they literally stink. Really badly,
Old 01-05-2020, 11:37 AM   #6
Humabout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke Bunyip View Post
Giving birth to a beast man (they all seem to be male) is invariably fatal for the human host. Women, men, children and the elderly. Beast folk don't seem to care who they rape.

And on a different note, they literally stink. Really badly,
I assume that's how you treat them in your game? What about the OP's other questions?

Free Stuff:
Dungeon Action!
Totem Spirits

My Blog: Above the Flatline.
Humabout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 03:23 AM   #7
Luke Bunyip

Quote:
I assume that's how you treat them in your game?
I was reminded by your post of a monster from the Glorantha setting of Chaosium.

Quote:
What about the OP's other questions?
They are interesting.
<Goes off to ruminate>
Old 01-06-2020, 11:25 PM   #8
dataweaver

I'm reminded of an idea seed from GURPS Fantasy Folk: “Lizards, Bugs, and Fish Humanity”.
Humanity is the only intelligent mammalian life form, but he shares his world with Fishmen, Insect Men, and Reptile Men.
I expanded on this, adding Bird Men (using the Winged Folk as a starting point, but changing their appearance to be more bird-like), Amphibian Men (based heavily on frogs), and Tree Men (think “Ents”).
Old 01-07-2020, 12:03 AM   #9
Gef

I have lots of beastmen in fantasy setting I've used for several campaigns so far, in various parts of its history and geography. Here's a condensed back-story to explain their common origins:

---There's a divine plan to introduce humans to the world, but the angels have to prepare it first. Angels are like spirit robots - no free will, just following a program.

---Angels aren't supposed to be able to breed, but they do (thank you, goddess of love), and their offspring, the fairies, inherit muddled programming (i.e., capricious natures). They jump the gun and introduce humans early, except they don't have the actual humans, so they make their own based on the "stuff of life" of lesser creatures.

---The green men created by fairies is pretty close to human, except for being adapted to a hostile (unfinished) environment. However, it's unstable, degenerating to the various goblinoid races. In order to stabilize the green man (or goblin type), the fairies back-breed it with animals. This takes magic because goblins aren't normally interfertile with beasts. It works, but there are consequences.

>>>1. How biologically similar are they to humans? Are they sexually or even reproductively compatible to humans? If the former, how does each group accept such relationships? If the latter, what is the nature of the resulting children? (While it is simply easier if the children take after the mother, that is not the only possibility).

Goblins and beastmen are interfertile with humans, and worse, they find humans sexually attractive (because the original green men looked human except for skin color). Half-breeds are generally regarded as exotically attractive in goblin societies and ugly to the point of abomination in human societies. Game mechanically, Half-Breed is a perk but that justifies shopping a al carte from the exotic traits of the parents racial templates.

>>>>2. How psychologically similar are they to humans? Are they humans with fur? Are they psychological hybrids? Are they beasts with human intelligence and humanoid physiology?

There's the rub. While well-adapted to their beast stock's native environment and therefore often able to survive in marginal habitats that humans eschew, they inherit assorted instincts from the beast stock and impulse control issues from the goblin stock, and in most a lower general IQ (balanced by acute sense or other Talents). Also, most have shorter lifespans, limiting the wisdom they acquire from experience. However, the also inherit the anti-conscience from their goblin stock, meaning that under the right psychological or sociological stresses, a switch gets flipped in their brains that makes the smarter but more ruthless. A leadership position provides the stresses, as does learning one of the Elder Tongues: the Black Speech of devils.

>>>>3. What is their place in society? Are they equal to humans? Inferior? Superior? Monstrous? If there are multiple species, are they all treated the same or is each species treated differently? (For example, rat folk are treated as inferiors while rabbit folk are treated as equals)

Not treated the same, but in general, a beastman warrior is superior to a human one thanks the beastman's physical adaptations, but a beastman army is inferior to a human one thanks to the beastman's psychological handicaps. Of course, there are not only many species of beastmen but many societies of humans, and some beastmen are respected in some societies. Again, marginal habitats have modest value for the well-adapted beastmen and low value for humans, meaning that the military cost rises and the economic payoff drops for kicking them out of such areas. Humans forced to share these habitats with the beastmen, or live at the borders of their domains, respect them. Also, many beastmen are slaves, and many are mercenaries under human officers, arguably living better in captivity than their wild kin.

>>>>How have you used beastfolk in your games? Have they been a good addition for NPCs or PCs? What have been your favorite beastfolk?

I ran a gladiator campaign where many PCs and NPCs were beast-men, and they were all fun, but I think the various bugboys were the most fun. Scorpion-men turned out to work great with the Technical Grappling rules. We had a bugbear become a mad prophet, a tusked ogre (mammoth beastman) who was basically the anchor man, and I ran a team of NPC gnole gladiators with a special grudge against the lion-centaur princess (Enemy is the best disad). Imagining the fate of these beast man races in the future of the campaign world as technology advanced, I have to say it looked bleak.

-GEF
Gef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 07:47 AM   #10
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

I've used beast folk in a few different contexts. I keep on using hawk-people, because flying is cool. In my science fiction game the most popular gene-tweak was tiger people. Sometimes I'll reach for beast-folk when creating worlds, especially when I need a lot of distinctive races or groups quickly. I've got a world where the soldiers are snake, bear, bird, or cat people. I've also got a world where each beast-folk is individually created by his King.

My hawk-folk generally breed true, and are their own species. I suppose they could get it on with humans, but its never come up. No children would result. The comparative social standing between humans and hawk-folk varies a great deal by setting, but it probably averages out to somewhere between "equals" and treating each other as foreigners.

The other groups I've mentioned are literally derived from humans, created through magic or technology. All are essentially human in thought processes and core physiology. The Individual Beast-folk just make human children.

Tiger Morphs I didn't consider in game (sex works, and tigers breed true, but I'm not sure what a tiger and a baseliner make, if anything. probably nothing). The soldier castes probably only breed with themselves as well. I've never found it that important.

The soldier castes had the status of a military caste, which is usually a great place to be. The Tigers were equals with humanity, like most of the gene-mods. Though in that campaign it usually meant they were on the planet before the artifact rush, and that set them apart from everyone else. The Individual Beast-Folk are decidedly above the common population, but are the lowest rank of transformed soldier (dragons, griffins, and other proper monsters rank higher).

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is offline   Reply With Quote