Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 12-16-2019, 04:40 PM   #1
AlexanderHowl

Default Setting Fusion

One of the more interesting things that you can do in GURPS is crossovers between various settings. If you really want to run a fusion of Aliens, My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic, and Wheel of Time, GURPS is your system. What settings would you want to fuse? What specific GURPS subsystems would you use for your fusion?

For example, I would like to try a fusion of Star Wars and Warhammer 40K. For the Force, I would use a version of RPM with Paths derived from Mage the Ascension (and I would use the optional rule that give Alchemy its own condition ritual track). For Psychics/Sorcerers, I use a version of Psychic Powers with a Corruption (Resistable) modifier added in (Resistable just gives the character a chance to avoid corruption when they succeed on a Will roll, which halves the value of the modifier).
AlexanderHowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2019, 04:49 PM   #2
whswhs

Default Re: Setting Fusion

The Lensman novels and the Cthulhu Mythos.

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
whswhs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2019, 06:08 PM   #3
Kesendeja

I'm running Warhammer 40k and Shadowrun with a healthy dose of Stargate.

The other game is Dark Inheritance, Call of Cthulhu, Assassin's creed, and Tombraider.

I just really can't seem to leave well enough alone.
Old 12-16-2019, 09:07 PM   #4
Sorenant

Armored Core and Banestorm/Yrth
Another large banestorm deposits several giant robots across Yrth (not unlike Sprockets). These robots seems to scan pilots for something and only those that passes through this process can pilot it. In order to defend their own interest from authority of emperors, kings and caliphs, those pilots forms a sort of guild in the image of the Armsmen's Guild to sell themselves as mercenaries without becoming puppets to the nobilities. Of course, not all pilots are so free-willed or rebellious and instead pledges their services to institutions and individuals. Ammo cannot be resupplied and most of it were wasted in the beginning chaos so those who still have it keeps them as silver bullets. Thus combat tends to melee, and despite not all mechas owning a melee weapon at first, by now some weaponsmiths guilds (particularly Dwarven) has already adapted to the business and is happy to sell such weaponry (for a hefty price).
For the mechas I'd probably use the scaling up rules used in Cyberme for Battlesuits, but in this case I'd scale up a men in plate armor for something like ST 45, SM+3, DR 30 and so on. For weaponry I'd check LTC2 and maybe Fantasy Tech 2 for its Giant Swords. Combat Writ Large and Martial Arts would also be important.
It's pretty campy, but I kinda like the basic idea. It reminds me of Five Star Stories but with much lower TL. One of my complaints of Banestorm is that it seems too static, with clear borders, established power structure, and a group of competent mages doing black ops to keep the status quo. Adding mechas that shakes the entire society, shifting powers from nobility to pilots, superseding conventional forces making smaller groups with access to a mecha more daring to challenge the old big names, and so on could make for a more interesting times.

Last edited by Sorenant; 12-16-2019 at 09:11 PM.
Sorenant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 02:42 AM   #5
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Plausible wish: mix Transhuman Space and Eclipse Phase. Use Basic Set, UT, BIO and Spaceships almost as written int terms of rules, but adjust some of the purchasable things and their stats.

Implausible wish: mix Dishonoured, Dark Void, and bits of Swashbucklers of Seven Skies. Would need a hypothetical GURPS High Tech: the Divergent Tech Levels. Also lots of tinkering with Spaceships to produce not-flimsy ironclads that are worth boarding.
Old 12-17-2019, 02:56 AM   #6
Johnny Angel

Not sure if this counts, but a weird thought I've been mentally sketching out lately...

Into The Badlands fused with American fast food chains. The prominent NPC rulers plotting political intrigue and war against each other would be The Burger King, The Dairy Queen, Wendy, Ronald McDonald, and so on.
Johnny Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 03:08 AM   #7
Mysterious Dark Lord v3.2

I was thinking once of a less-than-serious campaign combining Atomic Horror and Bunnies and Burrows. After all, if atomic radiation makes giant insects, why not intelligent rabbits?

The Martians invade, the Humans fall before their death rays ... then the Humans discover an ally they didn't know they had. The Rabbits invade the Martian ships and destroy them from within. And after the war? Do Humans and Bunnies go to war? Do they strike an uneasy truce? Do the Bunnies remember when they were food? Do the humans dread the coming of the Dreaded Two-Ton Devilbunny?
Old 12-17-2019, 05:26 AM   #8
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

I'm not sure it counts, but I believe one could create an interesting game world that cherry-picks plots, people, tech, and dystopias from Banlieue 13, Children of Men, Code 46, eXistenZ, Gattaca, Inception, Minority Report, Moon, and perhaps one or two others. The reason why I'm uncertain this counts is because in a loose sense, the background they depict is the same: mostly dystopian near-future Earth with almost-plausible science-fiction tech. In a tighter sense, though, most exclude the others because they make very different assumptions about future history and global politics; resolving the extreme range here would be a splitting headache of a world-building exercise.
Kromm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 05:44 AM   #9
Donny Brook

In a way, fusion settings are what I always do.

I've run a post-apoc blend of Gamma World, Mad Max, Car Wars, and Damnation Alley.

I've run a TL4 very low fantasy on a Sargasso planet where colonists started at TL10.

Now I'm building a TL2 mythic fantasy that's sort of a fusion of Conan, Lankhmar, and RW classical antiquity.
Donny Brook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 06:55 AM   #10
tbone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Angel View Post
Into The Badlands fused with American fast food chains. The prominent NPC rulers plotting political intrigue and war against each other would be The Burger King, The Dairy Queen, Wendy, Ronald McDonald, and so on.
Are you looking to recreate the official Wendy's RPG?

Twitter: @Gamesdiner | RSS: here ⬅︎ Updated RSS link | This forum: Site updates thread (occasionally updated)

(Latest goods on site: GLAIVE Mini levels up to v2.4. Update to melee weapon design tool, with more example weapons and commentary.)
tbone is offline   Reply With Quote