Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 12-29-2019, 03:03 PM   #1
pips

Default Returning to RPGs/new to GURPS!

Hey there! So I’m completely new to GURPS, but played D&D through middle school and high school. So I have fantasy role playing experience, but GURPS is new to me. I recently got the Basic Set books and I love it. I was looking into Dungeon Fantasy, but I’m more interested in creating my own thing, so my question for you all is this: what all fourth edition books should I get to do this? I’ve seen other threads of people recommending a couple at a time like Low-Tech and Magic, but if I wanted to get every relevant book, what would make the list for a high fantasy setting? Appreciate the help!
pips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2019, 03:21 PM   #2
johndallman
Night Watchman

Default Re: Returning to RPGs/new to GURPS!

Welcome! There are several ways to do the kind of thing you're talking about, which is quite normal for GURPS.

The Dungeon Fantasy line of PDFs provide lots of support for high-powered adventures based on killing things and taking their stuff. They don't come with a built-in setting: there is one published (Caverntown) and many people have made their own.

If you want to run a fantasy game that isn't based on slaying and looting, you have a lot of choices:
  • Banestorm is a rationalised fantasy world, within the Infinite Worlds setting.
  • Fantasy is a book about designing fantasy settings.
  • Portal Realms deals with a specific kind of fantasy setting.
  • Adaptions is about adapting settings for GURPS.

Once you've decided what kind of game you want to run, we can help you choose the books to make that easier. Some books that are likely to be valuable for any fantasy game:
  • If you like the magic system in the Basic Set, the Magic supplement enlarges it considerably,
  • If you prefer a different style of magic, Thaumatology is about designing magic systems, and there are several published in the Thaumatology PDF series.
  • Martial Arts is the advanced combat rules.
  • Powers builds on the Advantage system for general super-human abilities.
  • Low-Tech has much more detail than Basic on armour, weapons and equipment.
johndallman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2019, 03:24 PM   #3
Refplace

Welcome to GURPS!
I hav a listing by genre on my blog (see the sig line) but some early recommendations off the top of my head.
How to be a GURPS GM is good and helps sort out what books and rules to use.
GURPS Fantasy is helpful for building a fantasy world, GURPS Adaptations is helpful for converting one to GURPS.
Please read my section on magic which briefly describes the various systems published when I wrote it. Need to see if it needs an update. But different systems give magic different flavirs, more than just mechanics or rules.

The Dungeon Fantasy line is good for faster play, as are all the genre lines but also has good stuff you can use in other circumstances.
Martial Arts is great if you want heavy focus on melee combat.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2019, 03:53 PM   #4
AlexanderHowl

I would personally avoid the default magical system. You may want to look at Path/Book Magic (in Thaumotology) or Ritual Path Magic (in the supplement of the same name).
AlexanderHowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2019, 04:01 PM   #5
Stormcrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by pips View Post
what all fourth edition books should I get to do this? I’ve seen other threads of people recommending a couple at a time like Low-Tech and Magic, but if I wanted to get every relevant book, what would make the list for a high fantasy setting?
I don't recommend getting every relevant book. Get those books that will help you run the game that you want. You can play just about anything using just the Basic Set, so anything further is just for the added value of work you don't have to do yourself. Here are my suggestions; this is not an exhaustive list of what you might like, just the most obvious.

Get GURPS Fantasy if you want a book to teach you how to construct a fantasy campaign. It's got some monsters and templates and such, but it's not a full source of these. Instead it tells you how to fit all these things together. Don't get this if you already know what you want out of a fantasy setting and can put it together yourself.

Get GURPS Magic if you want more spells than come in the Basic Set. Get GURPS Thaumatology if you want a book that helps you construct alternative magic systems. Thaumatology has a bunch of supplemental PDF titles for specific types of magic. Don't get these if the spells in the Basic Set are enough for you.

Get GURPS Low-Tech if you want a detailed equipment catalog. Don't get it if the D&D-like list in the Basic Set is enough for you. Low-Tech has supplemental PDFs that go into further detail about certain technologies.

Get titles from the GURPS Dungeon Fantasy series if you want over-the-top, D&D-style adventures. These create a specific configuration of GURPS to run it this way. Don't get Dungeon Fantasy if you want something more realistic or lower-powered — although certain titles might still be useful for inclusion in a more general fantasy game.

Get GURPS Banestorm if you want a worked-out fantasy setting covering many styles: D&D-esque high fantasy, low-magic knightly romance, Vikingesque barbarians, Arabian Nights, more realistic Middle-eastern, pirates and swashbuckling, all packed into one setting. You can stick to one location to remain in one style. Don't get this if you want to make your own world.

Get GURPS Powers if you plan on including a lot of characters with exotic or supernatural powers, or if you want a lot of options in creating such powers. Don't get GURPS Powers if the number of characters with such abilities is small, or if the options in the Basic Set are enough. Powers doesn't add a whole catalog of new advantages; it mostly adds new modifiers to the advantages of the Basic Set and gives you more detail on how to put them together.

GURPS Underground Adventures is a PDF that focuses on the logistics of adventuring underground, whether in the D&D style or something more realistic. Don't get it if the underground doesn't play a large role in your adventures.

There are a lot of 3rd edition GURPS titles that are still perfectly good to use with the 4th edition.
Stormcrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2019, 05:04 PM   #6
pips

Thanks for all the replies! I guess I'll probably start with Magic, since that's what I'd like to expand my knowledge on most first. I've only read the Basic Sets, and I've never actually read any other GURPS books, so I don't know what kind and how much information is usually found in them. As far as PDFs go, I'm getting back into RPGs as a way to cut back on screen time and kick it with my friends. Unfortunately, none of the places I've visited in my area (I live in Washington, DC) have GURPS books stocked. From what I've seen on other threads, books aren't printed as much because of costs. So this means I'll probably have to pick up books on the secondary market and with some books rising in price, I just wanted a list of everything I could possibly need to start a collection sensibly.
pips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2019, 05:21 PM   #7
khorboth

Quote:
I've only read the Basic Sets, and I've never actually read any other GURPS books, so I don't know what kind and how much information is usually found in them.
Most (but not all) of the GURPS supplements can be divided into "fluff" books or "crunch" books.

Fluff books like Fantasy, Horror, or Supers will have some game rule information, usually a fair bit of guidelines on how to apply existing rules, and LOTS of good information on how to play/run some types of games. These are great resources for figuring out how to set the right mood, which GURPS optional rules to use (not a small task) and have lots of good, well-researched information. When we talk about "fluff" it's not pejorative, but a category. Fantasy, for instance, will have information about different takes on fantasy races, ways to make the world come alive, and what it is that makes a fantasy game actually fantasy. It includes modern and high fantasy and is a fantastic book. Many of the older edition books in this category still totally work. I've gotten good use out of 3ed Greece, for instance.

Crunch books like Powers, Martial Arts, or Magic are very heavy on rules. They are packed with new ways of using the system, applications of old rules, ways to build things using points, templates, and techniques. They tend to be full of charts, numbers, and nitty-gritty goodness. Be careful applying these too early because they add complexity. Make sure it adds to your game rather than detracting from it.

A few books, most notably the -tech line, straddle the two categories. There are lists of equipment and charts of when things are available, but also good guidelines on world-building and when all manner of things became available.

You can usually tell by the description of a book which ones fall into which category.

If you are looking for new hard copies of the books and don't need to thumb them, there are online purchasing options. SJG has been pushing their print-on-demand service for a while. I haven't used it myself, but know the option exists.
khorboth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2019, 05:31 PM   #8
evileeyore
Banned

Quote:
Thanks for all the replies!
I know everyone else has ignored it... but DFRPG isn't bad. Exploits and Spells alone are somewhat worth the price of admission just for some of the streamlining of rules and the drastically cut down spell list (yes, it is a good thing).
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2019, 06:34 PM   #9
Shostak

Quote:
Thanks for all the replies! I guess I'll probably start with Magic, since that's what I'd like to expand my knowledge on most first.
If you also pick up Thaumatology, you will not regret it. You might also consider GURPS Magical Styles: Dungeon Magic for several ready-to-go wizardly groups.

Quote:
From what I've seen on other threads, books aren't printed as much because of costs.
GURPS on Demand to the rescue!

I'll second the suggestions for GURPS Fantasy. It is the best book for building settings for fantasy game. Even experienced GMs will find it very, very helpful

Lastly, if you don't read through How to Be a GURPS GM, just know that you turn switches on and off. You will not want to use all rules, advantages, disadvantage, skills, etc. in your game.
Shostak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2019, 06:41 PM   #10
Refplace

One other suggestion.On W23 all the GURPS books have a preview PDF which includes the table of contents and gives a good idea on whats in the book before you buy it.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is online now   Reply With Quote