Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 06-22-2019, 09:38 AM   #21
malchidael

Default Re: Death Test Mappable?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mallen the dark View Post
I also love GrailQuest, but you forget Orb Quest. I thought it was better than the Silver Dragon. What I liked best about Silver Dragon was the dragons... magic proof dragons really trow the players for a loop.
By the time we bought Orb Quest, we were already into full game-mastered campaign mode and spending much of our gaming time elsewhere, so it didn't get played much.

I'm not sure which brother has our copy. Its not in my collection, though, so I can't even give it another try.

And we never owned Unicorn Gold, so I know nothing of that adventure.
malchidael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2019, 02:41 PM   #22
Skarg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mallen the dark View Post
I also love GrailQuest, but you forget Orb Quest. I thought it was better than the Silver Dragon. What I liked best about Silver Dragon was the dragons... magic proof dragons really trow the players for a loop.
I liked Orb Quest at the time but didn't play it much because we only had one main Death Test party that had gone through DT 1 & 2, and they were so powerful they just mostly stomped their first Orb Quest. I still have my copy though, and have used the nice counters a lot. I most liked that it gave the characters that survived Death Tests something to do, though Orb Quests seemed rather similar.

I think it'd be cool & popular if SJG publishes some material for Death Test survivors.

I remember Silver Dragon and Unicorn Gold (which I also still have) as being both deadly and poorly edited, and marred by being part of a weird inscrutable treasure hunt puzzle so it felt like PCs wandering around and dying so that the players could get hopeless clues to an out-of-character puzzle, without much in-game goal or continuity. And I thought the weird beasts and "dragonodons" seemed mainly gratuitous. (I'll never have too few giant beaver counters, and they were useful to use as the horse counters Metagaming never provided.)

But they were the most strange and mysterious of the programmed adventures - if someone wanted a weird/gonzo TFT experience, there it is, and a GM might develop it further into something with more continuity. Or maybe it was genius that I never found an appreciation for.
Skarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2019, 08:22 PM   #23
malchidael

Somewhere, a long time ago, I read suggestions that Howard Thompson was familiar with or into the Toltec mysticism movement, and that's where some of the spiritualism in Treasure of the Silver Dragon came from. I don't know how true that is, nor does it really matter. It definitely gave the adventure a flavor that was pretty unique

Most of the time, when I played Treasure of the Silver Dragon, I started much closer to the numbered hexes than the rules stated, because the random encounters were pretty lethal.

But, my liking of Treasure of the Silver Dragon is mostly nostalgic. I owned it before Melee and Wizard, because my mother didn't read the warning on the back.

Later on in life, I kept thinking about the Dragonodon world - the Toltec empire was dominant in the 9th-10th century. Per TSD, travel across the Atlantic was known. It could be a fantastic world to adventure in. I never did anything with it - I'm not well enough versed in history to pull it off successfully, but it could be nifty.
Old 06-24-2019, 02:07 AM   #24
Tywyll

Back to the OP...

My players reached the dragon room in DT2, only to back up and return to the four way intersection right before it. Instead of going East they went North, turned East, hit another room, went east from it, turned south and...ended up at the first 4 way intersection that led to the dragon room....

ARRGGHGHGHGH....

Luckily, most of the other mapping has been better in DT2, though my players have chosen to go east with every option they've been given, so it's been fairly simply to keep track of.
Tywyll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 11:56 AM   #25
malchidael

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tywyll View Post
Back to the OP...

My players reached the dragon room in DT2, only to back up and return to the four way intersection right before it. Instead of going East they went North, turned East, hit another room, went east from it, turned south and...ended up at the first 4 way intersection that led to the dragon room....

ARRGGHGHGHGH....

Luckily, most of the other mapping has been better in DT2, though my players have chosen to go east with every option they've been given, so it's been fairly simply to keep track of.
So, I tried to follow along - assuming they left the dragon room from the east, which means they hit the four-way intersection from the west. Heading north from there goes to 46, which has them turn west, not east.

My breadcrumbs
Spoiler:  

At some point, you may have gotten the cardinal directions mixed up - it's very easy to do. Or, it's possible I got my breadcrumbs wrong and something else happened. Again, easy to do. And very frustrating.