Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 07-27-2018, 07:27 PM   #31
DarkPumpkin

Default Re: Hex & Chit Scaling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirikus View Post
I really don't get this. I mean those who wanted 1-1/2" hexes had an option with the playmats available. Now because of what appears to be a very small but also very vocal handful of supporters, those of us who WANT 1" counters for a number of reasons (as I posted on the kickstarter page - I don't have the luxury of a dedicated gaming room or even table, I have a VERY small amount of space to set up my games, which is why I don't get to play the awesome designers edition of ogre - it's just TOO BIG) don't get that option any more.

I hope I don't come across as belligerent, that is not my intention, but I am really displeased with this change, and don't understand why the maps and counters from the melee and wizard basic sets have to be involved in this change to a larger size, when those who DO want the larger size already have that option available with the playmats.
Agree 100%. Don't like the new 1.5" hexes at all. I think it was a hasty decision to change all the maps and my intuition is that, although not all may feel as strongly as I, the majority of backers were just fine with the old scale.
DarkPumpkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 07:35 PM   #32
Armin
GCA Prime

I have never played TFT. I know nothing of the old games. My entire experience for this game will come from this Kickstarter.

I would prefer that all the new stuff be at the same scale. Having that scale be something that works with my existing D&D minis would be lovely.
Old 07-27-2018, 08:36 PM   #33
tomc

I can put my old counters on larger hexes. They may look a little small, but it will be all right. #firstworldproblem

Freedom of Speech is not Freedom of Podium
tomc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 08:47 PM   #34
GlennDoren

Here's a link showing the original Melee map (Hex a little under 1") next to a piece of Gloomhaven board (Hex = 1.25"). Melee counters on both.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=14o...Ql6jR1pW60f_Qc

Personally, I've always loved those smaller Melee maps and counters. BUT... I would also love to get higher quality maps and counters. That means thicker counters. And frankly, if the counters are thicker, I want slightly bigger hexes so it isn't frustrating moving those tightly packed counters around.

The Gloomhaven hexes are bigger and a pretty standard size in higher production quality games nowadays with thicker/sturdier counters.

My only request--make the counters slightly bigger than the existing Melee counters. I presume that's the case, but... ? I'd prefer they take up a little more room in those bigger hexes.

I think hexes bigger than 1.25" do start looking a little silly unless the counters are big enough.

The reason I said it's easy to print out the smaller maps for those who prefer: because the original maps were meant to fit on a legal-size paper. Easy to print that out. Printing out larger maps wouldnt be nearly as easy, simply because most people dont have printers big enough. So you'd have to go to a printer/kinkos, and or do a tape up job with multiple sheets. Most printers will print legal-sized paper.

Just my opinion of course...
GlennDoren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 09:42 PM   #35
ColBosch

I'll be happy with all 1.5" hexes. It means I'm not forced to use tiny miniatures. At that size, I could squeeze in some 32mm figures to really up the spectacle of arena combats.
ColBosch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 10:15 PM   #36
TurboCooler

I will add to the voices that love the decision of the 1.5" hexes. I plan on proxy miniatures for the chits because we have taken the time to create and paint so many and that is how we like to play. So, happy to get the larger hexes.
TurboCooler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 10:19 PM   #37
DarkPumpkin

With 1.5" inch hexes, the counters will look too small - two engaged figures will look like they can't poke each other with a stick. And this way the options are reduced: previously, those who wanted the larger hexes could just use the playmats.
DarkPumpkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 10:27 PM   #38
GlennDoren

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkPumpkin View Post
With 1.5" inch hexes, the counters will look too small - two engaged figures will look like they can't poke each other with a stick. And this way the options are reduced: previously, those who wanted the larger hexes could just use the playmats.
Again--the practical solution is to make sure the counters are big enough. Hopefully Steve n crew are willing to reconsider counter size to ensure the counters-only experience doesn't feel like a hack just to get the bigger hexes in there for the minority that will use minis. I'm fine going bigger on the hexes--just make sure the counter size is appropriate.
GlennDoren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 01:17 AM   #39
Shroomofinsanity

Maybe I'm also part of a vocal minority, but this will also be my first time really playing tft, and I also have a ton of traditional minis for 1" squares, so this works for me. And for everyone saying the playmats would solve it all, my players like exploring a real time dungeon map that just flows into combat, not a tiny dungeon map and a different "battle screen" for fighting. I do appreciate a standardization of sizes overall.
Shroomofinsanity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 05:12 AM   #40
ak_aramis

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennDoren View Post
Here's a link showing the original Melee map (Hex a little under 1") next to a piece of Gloomhaven board (Hex = 1.25"). Melee counters on both.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=14o...Ql6jR1pW60f_Qc
that illo shows that it's only the larger than 4 hex creature counters that are going to be a problem. the 4 hex will look rather small, but will still work.
ak_aramis is offline   Reply With Quote