Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 07-27-2018, 05:26 PM   #21
Terquem

Default Re: Hex & Chit Scaling

I sort of agree with Sirikus

I want those 1.5 inch hex playmats, which is why i pledged I want it all ( backer #32, thank you very much)

But, i also like the old sized melee and wizard map sheets and counters

I imagine providing both would not be practical

But, i still want them both
Terquem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 05:31 PM   #22
Rick_Smith

Default What are the size of the hexes now?

Hi all,
I am confused. I had thought that the Melee and Wizard hexes would be either 23 mm (the size of the original game), or 25 mm (the size of the Chessex hex maps). Either was fine with me, they are about the same size after all.

I have thousands of counters for these sizes, (most hand drawn), and have no desire to change. Additionally, the counters that George Dew is producing for Dark City Games fit these size hexes.

The big, art play maps were going to have larger sizes for miniature play and people who have cardboard heroes. That is fine, I was not planning on buying them.

But based on the last couple posts in this thread, it sounds like all of TFT is going to 1 and 1/4 inch hexes (call them 32 mm).

I hope this is not the plan. I have 24 and 30 hex dragons which won't fit the new hexes. For that matter, the new larger monsters won't fit on my Chessex hex map.

Furthermore, if the length of a counter increases by 1.25 then the area of square counter increases by 1.5625. This means we will get 1.5 times fewer counters per area printed.

Anyway, perhaps someone from Steve Jackson Games can weigh in, and tell us what the hex size will be in the standard Melee and Wizard games.

Warm regards, Rick.

Last edited by Rick_Smith; 07-27-2018 at 05:37 PM.
Rick_Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 05:34 PM   #23
GlennDoren

Frankly, it wouldn’t be difficult to simply print out a smaller melee/wizard map if that’s what you prefer. You’ll have the pdf. Only issue is the mult hex counters.

Being one of those “old timers over 40”, I like having a map that isn’t cramped. Especially if ur handling thicker die cut counters.

Hopefully the counters look decent on the bigger hexes if they’re not being enlarged.
GlennDoren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 06:02 PM   #24
Oneiros

I think we should go with the Chitin Microgame scale of 15mm. Then we could have HUGE battles on the same piece of paper (with itty-bitty counters.)

Just kidding. I was originally for the 1.5" scale upgrade, but now I'm torn. I already own more than one Chessex hex mats at 1" scale ... so I might have to invest in one of their 1.5" scale mats. Or, since I backed the KS at IWIA, we may have enough hex sheets that I won't need a new mat.
Oneiros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 06:25 PM   #25
Sirikus

well... I too am an "old timer over 40" but definitely in the "don't mess with the sizes camp" and the same logic can be used in reverse as well. You'll have the PDF. just print out larger copies.

I just don't see why the "increase the size" crowd is so adamant at removing the option to have a smaller more compact game.... I prefer increasing options rather than limiting them. we have in a single update gone from "large maps I'm not going to use but smaller ones I will" to "all larger maps and I'll have to mess with printing and making my own" and the reason given is "feedback and encouragement" which *may* very well be out of proportion to the actual overall desires of the community at large - I have no idea honestly, all I know is what *I* prefer - and I felt I should give MY feedback as well, since until this update I didn't even realize this was going to be a possibility.

Either way I'm thrilled this game is coming back and I can't wait to get my hands on a copy, if the majority of people actually do want the larger hexes everywhere rather than just the playmats *shrug* I guess I'll get crafty... I just don't really know for sure that is the case and would prefer that a bit more research be done beyond what appears to be a single forum thread visited by a small handful of people changes direction of the entire project, without considerations for other opinions and points of view on the matter which is definitely how this particular issue is coming across to some of us.
Sirikus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 06:43 PM   #26
malchidael

I'm not a fan of the 1.5" hexes. But, I'll make do.

I'm just happy TFT will be back in print.

I spent some time and money getting a collection of properly-sized minis (both paper and metal/plastic) together for TFT; I have plenty of newer minis that I can rebase for 1.5" hexes.

In case anyone is interested, many of the old Ral Partha fantasy miniatures now produced by Iron Wind Metals work perfectly on the old Melee/Wizard maps, and the Reaper Bones "Young Fire Dragon" is just about perfect as a 7-hex dragon.

As seen here
malchidael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 06:54 PM   #27
ParadoxGames

Hey, @Sirikus, could you enable private messages from other users in your EDIT OPTIONS? I wanted to send you a message.
ParadoxGames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 07:00 PM   #28
Kirk

Aargh, I just saw this proposed increase to the standard maps, and the problems with mulit-hex figures, and the current sized counters (which I have hundreds of), and especially the ability to fit an encounter on a map on a regular table and being able to allow reasonable player and GM access to all parts of the board.

I know SJG is trying to do the right thing. I know a small vocal minority can highjack common sense, as well.

My two cents is leave the multi-hex counters alone, leave the maps alone, and if someone wants to use minis or whatever that is what the *Playmats* are for.

It´s not easy to reverse a decision, but I certainly hope making GIANT 4.5" megahexes that dwarf the pieces and take up too much table space, and make all multi-hex creatures be that much bigger to properly fit in 3 or 4 or 7 hexes and any legacy material created and accumulated over decades difficult to use, is seriously reconsidered.
Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 07:04 PM   #29
malchidael

Just for fun, I scaled a Steve Jackson Games Cardboard Heroes Large Red Dragon up by printing it at 11x17, and based it on a 1.5" 7-hex base.

Here is the comparison between the 1.5" 7-hex dragon and the 1" 7-hex dragon.
malchidael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 07:12 PM   #30
Sirikus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParadoxGames View Post
Hey, @Sirikus, could you enable private messages from other users in your EDIT OPTIONS? I wanted to send you a message.
I'd love to but I can't at the moment - I assume it's because my account is so new. I will when I'm able to
Sirikus is offline   Reply With Quote