Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Ogre and G.E.V. > Ogre Video Game

Old 10-18-2017, 03:36 PM   #1
Yablonsky

Default Multiplayer game - HOW TO?

So, I got notified by my good friend Kris about the new Ogre computer version game. Grabbed up a copy as soon as I could and have gone through some of the games and tutorials and now want to play my good friend, however I can't for the life of me understand how.

I've connected/friended him on Steam and then also sent the Friend or Group add request but when I try to create a multi-player game, he's nowhere to be found.

He has accepted the steam friend request. Is it the Group request I am waiting for now?

Any help would be great.

Ken
Yablonsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 03:49 PM   #2
GranitePenguin
Ogre Line Editor

Default Re: Multiplayer game - HOW TO?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yablonsky View Post
So, I got notified by my good friend Kris about the new Ogre computer version game. Grabbed up a copy as soon as I could and have gone through some of the games and tutorials and now want to play my good friend, however I can't for the life of me understand how.

I've connected/friended him on Steam and then also sent the Friend or Group add request but when I try to create a multi-player game, he's nowhere to be found.

He has accepted the steam friend request. Is it the Group request I am waiting for now?

Any help would be great.

Ken
  1. Make sure you are both on the same version of the game (check the version on the title screen)
  2. Make sure you are friends in Steam
  3. Make sure you are both online
  4. Under Multiplayer, select "Custom game"
  5. Pick your scenario and Create Game
  6. Click "Invite Player" and select your friend from the list

They should get the invite and you should see them show up in the list of unassigned players. Pick your sides and play.
Old 10-18-2017, 04:14 PM   #3
Yablonsky

Does it require that he be online at the same time? If so, makes it tough as he's in New Zealand and I'm in So. Cal.

Ken
Old 10-18-2017, 05:45 PM   #4
GranitePenguin
Ogre Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yablonsky View Post
Does it require that he be online at the same time? If so, makes it tough as he's in New Zealand and I'm in So. Cal.

Ken
It's supposed to be capable of async play, so hopefully not?
Old 10-20-2017, 10:54 AM   #5
AurochJake

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranitePenguin View Post
It's supposed to be capable of async play, so hopefully not?
You both need to be online to start the game - otherwise deployment wouldn't be possible. Once the game has started, you can take your turns separately but unfortunately you can't begin a game this way.
AurochJake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 12:13 PM   #6
Yablonsky

Well that's odd. How am I supposed to play with friends all over the world? I gotta wake up or they gotta wake up so we're both online at the same time to start a game?

Should be a Challenge to a Friend and the game starts.

I'll have to schedule a start of a game on a Weekend when we're both available at the same time.

IMHO, this needs to be fixed so you can challenge any friend at any time.

Ken

Quote:
Originally Posted by AurochJake View Post
You both need to be online to start the game - otherwise deployment wouldn't be possible. Once the game has started, you can take your turns separately but unfortunately you can't begin a game this way.
Old 10-20-2017, 01:35 PM   #7
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Ranked play should also allow offline starts if it is going to allow multiple games per player and asynchronous play (and if there are only going to be a few hundred people worldwide playing anyway).
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 02:54 PM   #8
Steve Jackson
President and EIC

Good points being made here. Thank you.
Steve Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 05:22 PM   #9
Yablonsky

OK, so I got my friend in New Zealand on at the same time and we started a heads-up game of Ogre vs Ogre and the turn timer is ticking down the whole time. We didn't finish the game to see what happens with the timer.

We then started two more games, with different Ogres and objectives to see what each one looks like and they also have the turn timer counting down.

Isn't this supposed to be turn based?
You take your turn and opponent takes their turn, when they can get to the game?

Does this require that, once the game is started, it must be finished in one session? If so, this has got to change. It's got to allow for each player to do their own thing and come back to the game when they can.

I only know one person that plays and he's in NZ. How are we supposed to play a game if we're so far apart and different time zones.

Steve...I'm pleading here....Let's get this fixed/changed so we can take our turns whenever we can.

Ken
Old 10-24-2017, 05:46 PM   #10
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

The turn timer isn't doing whatever is it is supposed to be doing.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote