Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 02-01-2016, 01:20 PM   #1
mr beer

Default Character Design help please: Magic Bow

Dear Forum,

One of my players would like a new character, a magic longbow. It will Mind Control those who pick it up in order for them to do it's bidding.

What I'm unsure of:

1) How to stat Mind Control with the limitations that a) the victim must be holding the Bow for the Mind Control attempt to be made - some variant of Reduced Range? and b) the Bow may only have one mind slave at a time.

2) Is the Bow template below reasonable? Am I missing anything? Note: this thing does repair itself like a living thing, it's magic.

Bow Template [-19]:

ST:0 [-100]
HP: 12 [24]

Advantages:
Damage Resistance +2 [10], Doesn't Breathe [20], Doesn't Eat or Drink [10], Doesn't Sleep [20], Immunity to Metabolic Hazards [30], Injury Tolerance: Homogenous [40], No Blood [5], No Eyes [5], No Head [2], No Neck [5], Unaging [15]

Disadvantages:
Cannot Speak [-15], Quadriplegic [-80], Social Stigma: Valuable Property [-10]

Features:
Does not have Fatigue [0]
mr beer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 01:44 PM   #2
Nereidalbel

Default Re: Character Design help please: Magic Bow

No, the bow does not have Valuable Property or Quadriplegic. Instead, it should have No Legs (Portable).

For the Mind Control, give it Melee: C. That's enough to bring it down to just whoever picks it up.
Nereidalbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 01:49 PM   #3
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Decide if you want the bow to give orders to its owner or if you want the bow to possess the owner. Those are two very different advantages.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 01:51 PM   #4
Clockwork_Virus

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr beer View Post
1) How to stat Mind Control with the limitations that a) the victim must be holding the Bow for the Mind Control attempt to be made - some variant of Reduced Range? and b) the Bow may only have one mind slave at a time.
For (a), you can use the "Melee Attack, Reach C, -30%" limitation. If skin contact must be made, that's another -30% for "Contact Agent".

For (b), you can try the "Reduced Duration" limitation, as detailed here, to decrease the amount of time that the control "lingers". Combined with the Reach C limitation and needing to continuously concentrate, I think it should work out.
Quote:
2) Is the Bow template below reasonable? Am I missing anything? Note: this thing does repair itself like a living thing, it's magic.

Bow Template [-19]:

ST:0 [-100]
HP: 12 [24]

Advantages:
Damage Resistance +2 [10], Doesn't Breathe [20], Doesn't Eat or Drink [10], Doesn't Sleep [20], Immunity to Metabolic Hazards [30], Injury Tolerance: Homogenous [40], No Blood [5], No Eyes [5], No Head [2], No Neck [5], Unaging [15]

Disadvantages:
Cannot Speak [-15], Quadriplegic [-80], Social Stigma: Valuable Property [-10]

Features:
Does not have Fatigue [0]
Is it wood? Can it burn? If yes to both, add Fragile: Flammable [-10].

How much HP does it have? Unless it has magical hardiness, its HP can be calculated from its weight.

Does it have any method of seeing, hearing, smelling, tasting, or feeling? Blindness, Deafness, No Sense of Smell/Taste, and Numb might be in order.

Can it make any sounds at all on its own? If not, Cannot Speak should be increased to Mute.

I would use No Manipulators and No Legs (Portable) instead of Quadriplegic, as the latter implies that the physical structures still exist.

Social Stigma: Valuable Property is for things like slaves, pets, etc. Not things like bows.

I assume it can't move on its own, so DX and Basic Speed could be reduced to 0.

HT should be determined by its construction. 12 is average for a bow, I think, unless you take the bowstring into account, in which case 11 might be more accurate.

Pressure Support 1 and Sealed might also be appropriate.
Clockwork_Virus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 02:26 PM   #5
mr beer

Thanks for feedback all, just one question before I rework the Bow:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nereidalbel View Post
No, the bow does not have Valuable Property or Quadriplegic. Instead, it should have No Legs (Portable).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clockwork_Virus View Post
I would use No Manipulators and No Legs (Portable) instead of Quadriplegic, as the latter implies that the physical structures still exist.
For the Mind Control, give it Melee: C. That's enough to bring it down to just whoever picks it up.
I don't see No Legs: Portable in Basic, can you please assist?
Old 02-01-2016, 02:34 PM   #6
mr beer

Quote:
For (a), you can use the "Melee Attack, Reach C, -30%" limitation. If skin contact must be made, that's another -30% for "Contact Agent".

For (b), you can try the "Reduced Duration" limitation, as detailed here, to decrease the amount of time that the control "lingers". Combined with the Reach C limitation and needing to continuously concentrate, I think it should work out.
Makes sense, that's not going to work for the fluff though. I should have been clearer about this: the Bow is going to Mind Control someone and use them as a wielder for an indefinite period of time. The Bow will pay for this with Ally.

So I want something whereby the Bow controls a single person but doesn't need to maintain control all the time. Not sure how to do this.

Quote:
Is it wood? Can it burn? If yes to both, add Fragile: Flammable [-10].
I want to be magically tough, so maybe not. Will think about it, good idea.

Quote:
How much HP does it have? Unless it has magical hardiness, its HP can be calculated from its weight.
That's what I did, will probably add HP for being magic though.

GTG. Thanks all.
Old 02-01-2016, 03:04 PM   #7
Nereidalbel

Quote:
I don't see No Legs: Portable in Basic, can you please assist?
Thaumatology, p119.
Old 02-01-2016, 04:32 PM   #8
mr beer

Quote:
Does it have any method of seeing, hearing, smelling, tasting, or feeling? Blindness, Deafness, No Sense of Smell/Taste, and Numb might be in order.
It has human normal senses, just no eyes/ears/tongue etc.

Quote:
Can it make any sounds at all on its own? If not, Cannot Speak should be increased to Mute.
Excellent, thanks.

Quote:
Got it.

Quote:
Social Stigma: Valuable Property is for things like slaves, pets, etc. Not things like bows.
OK.

I think the Bow is not considered a person though legally, so I think some kind of penalty should be in order?

Quote:
I assume it can't move on its own, so DX and Basic Speed could be reduced to 0.
I'm keeping DX for Innate Attacks, but Basic Speed definitely, good pick up.

Quote:
HT should be determined by its construction. 12 is average for a bow, I think, unless you take the bowstring into account, in which case 11 might be more accurate.
Sounds reasonable, I was toying with the idea of adding a new Hit Location called Bowstring but I might leave it for the moment.

Reminds me, I need to add an appropriate Size Modifier for the Bow.

Quote:
Pressure Support 1 and Sealed might also be appropriate.
Agree.

Thanks for all that.
Old 02-01-2016, 04:36 PM   #9
mr beer

Turns out that The Silver Harp (Thaumatology p.120) provides a useful model for this kind of thing - looks like Social Stigma - Valuable Property is intended for such things.
Old 02-01-2016, 04:58 PM   #10
Nereidalbel

Quote:
Turns out that The Silver Harp (Thaumatology p.120) provides a useful model for this kind of thing - looks like Social Stigma - Valuable Property is intended for such things.
The Silver Harp gets the stigma because it's made of silver. Unless this bow is made of something more precious than wood, it's not blatantly valuable.