Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin 101

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-16-2013, 07:41 PM   #21
Clipper
 
Clipper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Sydney, Australia
Default Re: Slightly confused NOOB questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Augster View Post
MM, thanks for the reply.

In your sentence, "may take one from the Door deck" is that meaning Door deck discard pile? Otherwise I'm confused.

But the card he draws from the Door Deck Discard Pile, goes into play immediately as what he would have gotten from KOTD. I think I got it.

In your last paragraph, the Cleric must decide before doing face-up draws how many he will take from the discard and how many from the top, not the ability to go back and forth. I think I understand.

Thanks so much!
He did mean the discard pile, yes. Sounds like you understood everything else correctly, too.

Quote:
One last question, off this topic, but on topic to the original thread...

Your class can be discarded at any time? So when a monster card is drawn on KOTD and that monster gets +4 vs. Warriors, the player can just discard his Warrior or does he have to wait until after battle? We played it that you can discard your class at any time, and if you have one in your hand, you can play that at anytime also. LMK if this is close to correct.

Thanks very much!
They can be discarded at any time, on any player's turn, so that is a viable strategy to remove the bonus the monster gets. Playing Race and Class cards is slightly different. You can play it at any time on your turn, or immediately when you receive one. So yes, you can play a new Race or Class card during your own combat, but you probably won't be able to if you are Helping someone else, as it's not your turn.
__________________
My unofficial, but comprehensive Flowcharts: Munchkin: A4 Letter; Munchkin Quest: A4 Letter
Rules Checklist for all Munchkin sets: A4 Letter.
Clipper is offline  
Old 01-16-2013, 08:12 PM   #22
Augster
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Default Re: Slightly confused NOOB questions

Thanks Clipper.

So Race and Class, PLAY at any time on your OWN turn, but can be discarded at any time on any turn.

Last thing, can your race card and super-munch be discarded for powering up class abilities? I'm assuming so. Or is it only items that power, say, Berserker?

More clear, if I want to add some Berserker points to my Warrior, can I discard my Race and Half-Breed card for a +2?

That's a little better. Thanks much. :)
Augster is offline  
Old 01-16-2013, 08:21 PM   #23
Clipper
 
Clipper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Sydney, Australia
Default Re: Slightly confused NOOB questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Augster View Post
Thanks Clipper.

So Race and Class, PLAY at any time on your OWN turn, but can be discarded at any time on any turn.
Yep. But don't forget you can also play them when you get them (on any turn).

Quote:
Last thing, can your race card and super-munch be discarded for powering up class abilities? I'm assuming so. Or is it only items that power, say, Berserker?

More clear, if I want to add some Berserker points to my Warrior, can I discard my Race and Half-Breed card for a +2?

That's a little better. Thanks much. :)
Yes, those cards count as in-play and qualify to be discarded for Class abilities that tell you to discard cards. Yes, you can discard them both at the same time for a +2.
__________________
My unofficial, but comprehensive Flowcharts: Munchkin: A4 Letter; Munchkin Quest: A4 Letter
Rules Checklist for all Munchkin sets: A4 Letter.
Clipper is offline  
Old 01-17-2013, 06:22 AM   #24
MunchkinMan
Super Moderator
 
MunchkinMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Macungie, PA
Default Re: Slightly confused NOOB questions

Just remember that you can not discard a Class or Race in order to power one of its abilities. I.e., you can't discard your Warrior to get the berserking bonus.
__________________
Erik D. Zane
Munchkin NetRep -- munchkin@sjgames.com
MiB #1029
MunchkinMan is offline  
Old 01-17-2013, 08:05 AM   #25
tremorlaine
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Default Re: Slightly confused NOOB questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rules, page 5
Any Item card may be played to the table as soon as you get it, or at any time on your own turn other than in combat (unless the card itself says otherwise).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clipper View Post
Yes, and it should perhaps also be mentioned that you still mustn't be in combat nor Running Away at the time you receive the card if you want to play it immediately like that.
I just want to make sure since the wording in the rules can be taken both ways.

Does the phrase "other than in combat" refer to both conditions or only the condition that it follows?

In short, if I use Wand of Dowsing during combat to get a Gentleman's Club can it use it immediately or not?
tremorlaine is offline  
Old 01-17-2013, 09:24 AM   #26
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor
 
Andrew Hackard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Austin, TX
Default Re: Slightly confused NOOB questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by tremorlaine View Post
In short, if I use Wand of Dowsing during combat to get a Gentleman's Club can it use it immediately or not?
You may not start to use new (non-one-shot) Items during combat unless a rule explicitly circumvents that prohibition.
__________________
Andrew Hackard, Munchkin Line Editor
#PlayMunchkin on social media: Twitter || Facebook || Instagram || YouTube
Follow us on Kickstarter: Steve Jackson Games and Warehouse 23

Let people like what they like.
Andrew Hackard is offline  
Old 01-21-2013, 12:31 AM   #27
Augster
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Default Re: Slightly confused NOOB questions

More games, more questions...

The level 1 thief has nothing to lose besides discards on repeated theft attempts correct? I think I read that in a post. Lmk

Order of play question. I am a level 1 thief. I KOTD and get a curse, lose your highest bonus item. An opponent has a wishing ring in their items. If I discard cards, can I repeatedly try to steal the ring to vanquish the lose item curse? Or is it a card-timing thing where the next card down would have to vanquish the curse? Some curses like chicken on the head, that stays with you, I can see being able to repeatedly try stealing. But an instant? Again lmk.

Another item, magic missile. Combat and a player casts magic missile to help himself defeat a monster. Another player casts transfer and transfers the monster to another player. What happens to the magic missile? The player had cast it on himself for +5, but now he's not in the combat. What if he gets asked to be a helper? It was quite confusing.

Lastly, if I want to trade an item, it has to be in play and carried right? I can't trade it from my hand? This came up because a player already had a big item carried and wanting to keep and wanted to trade the big item he had in his hand with another player. I told him because he couldn't legally put it into play, he couldn't trade it.

I'm sure I'll have more questions after our next few games.

Thank you!
Augster is offline  
Old 01-21-2013, 12:48 AM   #28
bonetm
 
bonetm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Brazil
Default Re: Slightly confused NOOB questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Augster View Post
The level 1 thief has nothing to lose besides discards on repeated theft attempts correct? I think I read that in a post. Lmk
From the FAQ:
Quote:
Q. What happens to a Level 1 Thief who fails an attempt to steal? Does he die?
A. Nothing happens to him. You can't go below Level 1. (Beware the Level 1 Thief – he literally has nothing to lose!)
Quote:
Order of play question. I am a level 1 thief. I KOTD and get a curse, lose your highest bonus item. An opponent has a wishing ring in their items. If I discard cards, can I repeatedly try to steal the ring to vanquish the lose item curse? Or is it a card-timing thing where the next card down would have to vanquish the curse? Some curses like chicken on the head, that stays with you, I can see being able to repeatedly try stealing. But an instant? Again lmk.
In Munchkin you always resolve each action before doing another. So, if you are hit with a Curse you have to deal with it before doing anything else, including stealing. There are exceptions to this, of course, but they are clear in the card. Wishing Ring, for example, lets you cancel a Curse that was previously played, before it takes effect. But it there is no expecification, just assume you have to resolve one card after going to the other.

Quote:
Another item, magic missile. Combat and a player casts magic missile to help himself defeat a monster. Another player casts transfer and transfers the monster to another player. What happens to the magic missile? The player had cast it on himself for +5, but now he's not in the combat. What if he gets asked to be a helper? It was quite confusing.
It is easier if you think about sides of combat, instead of playing the cards to one self. You have the players (or Munchkins) side and the Monster side. Magic Missile is played on the players side. But the Transferal Potion resets the player side, changing the combat to another player. Any one-shot previously played has no effect and is just discarded, even if the player enters combat as a helper.

Quote:
Lastly, if I want to trade an item, it has to be in play and carried right? I can't trade it from my hand?
From the rules:
Quote:
An item card in your hand does not count until you play it; at that point, it is “carried.”
and after that:
Quote:
Trading: You may trade Items (but not other cards) with other players. You may only trade Items from the table – not from your hand.
This two parts make it clear that cards are not Items until they hit the table and can only be traded after they are carried. If you can't carry more than 1 Big Item, you can't trade it.
__________________
Igor Toscano
MiB: #1602
bonetm is offline  
Old 01-21-2013, 12:53 AM   #29
bonetm
 
bonetm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Brazil
Default Re: Slightly confused NOOB questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Hackard View Post
You may not start to use new (non-one-shot) Items during combat unless a rule explicitly circumvents that prohibition.
Like the rule from page 5 of the rulesheet where it reads:

Quote:
Any Item card may be played to the table as soon as you get it,
?

I believe the intention of this rule is: if you are a helper and gets Treasure out of turn, you can get it. But, re-reading it now, it is very misleading. The rules clearly state you can play any Item if you just got the card (which would qualify for Wand of Dowsing).

Edit: just to be clear, I'm not questioning Andrew's ruling, I'm just questioning the way this is presented. It's not clear, from the way it is written in the rules, that an Item can't be played if you just got it and it's the middle of the combat.
__________________
Igor Toscano
MiB: #1602

Last edited by bonetm; 01-21-2013 at 12:56 AM.
bonetm is offline  
Old 01-21-2013, 01:19 AM   #30
Clipper
 
Clipper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Sydney, Australia
Default Re: Slightly confused NOOB questions

Actually, there is a way you can handle trading of a Big Item in your hand to another player, but it takes two trades to complete instead of just one. First, you just give your current Big Item to the other player. Then you play the one you actually wanted to give them in front of you. Then you trade the two Big Items with each other. It's a little complicated, but it gets the job done legally!
__________________
My unofficial, but comprehensive Flowcharts: Munchkin: A4 Letter; Munchkin Quest: A4 Letter
Rules Checklist for all Munchkin sets: A4 Letter.
Clipper is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Fnords are Off
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:48 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.