Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Car Wars

Old 12-28-2019, 03:11 PM   #1
steam_bucky

Default 6th ed - Home brew continuing characters?

To the community - with the limited info we have available, what are your thoughts for continuing characters in 6th ed? Any ideas percolating yet?

I know its early days, but i am sure some genius has some thoughts?
steam_bucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2019, 08:45 AM   #2
beetle496

Default Re: 6th ed - Home brew continuing characters?

I hope to do this. I think the only house rule I will need is that engines do not explode upon losing their last damage point. Instead, the car decelerates 2 speed per turn, moves only in a straight line, and weapons will not fire.

I am not sure if 6e RAR allows players to surrender, but house rule that if not.

Early arena battles will be sponsored by 2nd Chance battle armor, doubling the damage points for Driver and Gunner. There is a catch though, in that the battle armor is wired into vehicle computer. Once breached, the car locks up (per above).

For experience points / level progression, see CW Compendium 2nd Edition, Chapter 4 Characters (p. 39). It is pretty lightweight, and character skills progress fast, which is just want you want! I am confident those translate easily to 6e crew points.
beetle496 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2019, 09:49 AM   #3
baakyocalder

Quote:
Originally Posted by beetle496 View Post
I hope to do this. I think the only house rule I will need is that engines do not explode upon losing their last damage point. Instead, the car decelerates 2 speed per turn, moves only in a straight line, and weapons will not fire.

I am not sure if 6e RAR allows players to surrender, but house rule that if not.

Early arena battles will be sponsored by 2nd Chance battle armor, doubling the damage points for Driver and Gunner. There is a catch though, in that the battle armor is wired into vehicle computer. Once breached, the car locks up (per above).

For experience points / level progression, see CW Compendium 2nd Edition, Chapter 4 Characters (p. 39). It is pretty lightweight, and character skills progress fast, which is just want you want! I am confident those translate easily to 6e crew points.
I'd also house rule that the engine does not automatically explode and you can surrender for continuing campaigns.

There's already a Flak Jacket in the game, so I'd go with them being standard for my 'Amateur Nights' events where we don't want massive crew death.

Waiting For: Schedule Sanity to Play Car Wars and my Fnordcon special alt Car Wars cards!
baakyocalder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 03:06 AM   #4
MIB.6361

Location: Phoenix, Arizona, USA, Earth, Sol, Milky Way, Infinity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by baakyocalder View Post
I'd also house rule that the engine does not automatically explode and you can surrender for continuing campaigns.
The rules don't specify that the Power Plant or car explodes. It just says the car is destroyed and the player is eliminated when the Power Plant reaches 0.

It also says that the player is eliminated when both driver and gunner are "lost" which could mean critically injured, incapacitated, etc. so you don't automatically lose them.
Also, there's no reason not to bring back the Gold Cross.
Old 01-20-2020, 07:56 AM   #5
beetle496

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIB.6361 View Post
The rules don't specify that the Power Plant or car explodes.
Correct, I was glad to find that was the case when the rules posted shortly before the KS ended. For the on-the-road-shows they had the vehicles exploding, but that now seems to have been for dramatic flavor. @baakyocalder and I were spit-balling before we had RAW.
Quote:
It also says that the player is eliminated when both driver and gunner are "lost" which could mean critically injured, incapacitated, etc. so you don't automatically lose them.
Agreed, a player being elminated ≠ characters being killed.
Quote:
Also, there's no reason not to bring back the Gold Cross.
Absolutely, but that does not seem like it would be an option for amateur night!
beetle496 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 10:40 AM   #6
MIB.6361

Location: Phoenix, Arizona, USA, Earth, Sol, Milky Way, Infinity.

Quote:
Correct, I was glad to find that was the case when the rules posted shortly before the KS ended. For the on-the-road-shows they had the vehicles exploding, but that now seems to have been for dramatic flavor. @baakyocalder and I were spit-balling before we had RAW.
Same. I think we were all making presumptions based on the videos alone. And I'll likely continue to do so in some aspects until I have product in hand.

Quote:
Absolutely, but that does not seem like it would be an option for amateur night!
Agreed, probably not in the budget of an amateur.

The one that hit me as extreme but definitive wording was when a car flips it says "crew members inside the car are immediately killed."
I'm wondering if that'll be softened up to align with the other "Player Elimination" rules more easily or not.