Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Play By Post

Old 10-31-2019, 12:42 PM   #261
Plane

Default Re: A Challenger Appears! Green versus Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
No, such a system would be about controlling the hex, not about getting bonuses to attack.
Feints/Beats great penalties to active defenses of those you target OR penalties to hit you (defensive variant) but can't give a bonus to hit.

The closest to that is you can more freely use Telegraphic for a +4 to hit since you're less worried about that +2 to defend.

Quote:
You could make a system where swordplay is treated as a grapple, with "weapon control points" being added up and spent to try and hit, but that's a different kettle of fish and a rather ambitious project.
I could've sworn I came across someone doing that in a GURPS blog already but I forget where. The grappling aspect of weapon combat seems really valuable in expanding how parrying/blocking works though, what with the locking swords / presses being a pretty interesting part of many cinematic sword fights.

Quote:
He has his defense bonus to keep him happy. And a defensive slam is a particularly weird attack.
I figure it's just like a half-committed sort of thing when you keep most of your focus on defending.

I'm talking about rolls to hit nearby targets in general, not specifically slams.

Quote:
I think there is a little of both "you don't get bonuses to hit the immobile guy" and "they get a dodge".
Er, in the 1st did you mean you don't get penalties to hit immobile guy?
Plane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 10:31 AM   #262
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plane View Post
Feints/Beats great penalties to active defenses of those you target OR penalties to hit you (defensive variant) but can't give a bonus to hit.

The closest to that is you can more freely use Telegraphic for a +4 to hit since you're less worried about that +2 to defend.
a -2 to their defense is nearly equivalent to a +4 to your attack. I make liberal use of the deceptive attack exchange rate. But either way, control of a hex shouldn't make it easier to hit your opponent, block your opponent, or be missed by your opponent. Its a different type of control

Quote:
I could've sworn I came across someone doing that in a GURPS blog already but I forget where. The grappling aspect of weapon combat seems really valuable in expanding how parrying/blocking works though, what with the locking swords / presses being a pretty interesting part of many cinematic sword fights.
Maybe someone has. It'd be interesting to try, though I'd struggle to navigate it, at least at first.

Quote:
I figure it's just like a half-committed sort of thing when you keep most of your focus on defending.

Er, in the 1st did you mean you don't get penalties to hit immobile guy?
Actually, I meant you don't get bonuses to hit the mobile guy. Sorry

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 07:54 PM   #263
DouglasCole
Doctor of GURPS Ballistics

Quote:
Maybe someone has. It'd be interesting to try, though I'd struggle to navigate it, at least at first.
https://gamingballistic.com/2017/07/...ting-in-gurps/

Towards the bottom.

What? You're surprised?
DouglasCole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 10:15 AM   #264
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasCole View Post
https://gamingballistic.com/2017/07/...ting-in-gurps/

Towards the bottom.

What? You're surprised?
So you spend it to penalize specific defenses? that's... a lot simpler than I was expecting. But I suppose it works.

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
Old 11-09-2019, 07:17 AM   #265
DouglasCole

Quote:
So you spend it to penalize specific defenses? that's... a lot simpler than I was expecting. But I suppose it works.
Some of these things aren't playtested; they're ideas. And these days, I really, really try and keep my stuff playable at the table. Think Fantastic Dungeon Grappling instead of Technical Grappling and that's where my mind is
Old 11-10-2019, 10:58 AM   #266
Plane

The deity is summoned!

Sometimes I've seen where an ally pulls another ally out of the way of some attack, rather than jumping in front of it.

Rather than lumping that into sacrificial dodges (which is weird because it assumes you automatically have the mass/accuracy/unavoidability of being able to actually knock down your ally) there is totally some way grappling / shoving / slams could cover this as an active defense reaction with a free (limited) attack on a success similar to aggressive parry / jam / grabbing parry, cept there should be defenses allowed against it by the ally since it wasn't their attack you were defending against.
Old 11-10-2019, 04:19 PM   #267
DouglasCole

Quote:
The deity is summoned!

Sometimes I've seen where an ally pulls another ally out of the way of some attack, rather than jumping in front of it.

Rather than lumping that into sacrificial dodges (which is weird because it assumes you automatically have the mass/accuracy/unavoidability of being able to actually knock down your ally) there is totally some way grappling / shoving / slams could cover this as an active defense reaction with a free (limited) attack on a success similar to aggressive parry / jam / grabbing parry, cept there should be defenses allowed against it by the ally since it wasn't their attack you were defending against.
This methodology is covered in Human Shield, on p. 8 of FDG. Reactively, you'd grapple the principal and then roll vs half your ST-based skill to *reactively* yank the guy a hex away. You'd need to do this as a Rapid Strike, and to do it reactively you'd need to Wait because that grapple is an attack.

It's a tough thing to play it; but another way to go would be to assume that the person you're yanking out of your way isn't going to resist it. Just slap -6 to skill (like a Rapid Strike) and then half the ST-based skill roll (like a parry) for Frog March.

Last edited by DouglasCole; 11-10-2019 at 04:23 PM.
Old 11-18-2019, 11:15 AM   #268
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

So I think Red is still trying to kick green, and green still has questionable options when trying to preserve AP...

Old 11-18-2019, 02:43 PM   #269
Plane

That's right...

*reviews log 282 at https://dicelog.com/joinlogdice *

Your kick is en-route to connect with the torso (ie chest) I must choose my defense.

As we discussed previously, since you forgot to apply the -2 for kicking technique (which means you rolled assuming you had skill 15, when it should've been 13), I'm going to consider this semi-telegraphed (+2 to hit) and give a +1 to defense, rather than charge you 2 AP for a Committed Attack (which is the only other way I could explain your skill getting a +2) because that would be harsh.

The throwing of this kick reduces your AP by 1... this seems to be where we last discussed your AP, so I think you were at 8/10 and then spent 2 reducing yourself http://forums.sjgames.com/showpost.p...t=224] to 6 AP so now you're down to 5/12?

Quote:
will either have to run past red (go ahead, show your back) or burn a lot of energy stopping.
I'm going to postpone thinking about this dilemma for the moment because I should probably resolve whether or not I defend against this attack before resolving where I move after it!

I was down to 9/12 AP last I think... so an active defense attempt will reduce me to 8/12 AP.

Since I just attacked with my good hand, I think I'm forbidden from using that good hand to parry, so it seems like a dodge is my only option?

If I were houseruling, I would say something like M+A should only ban retreatish things in the direction opposite you were moving, so retreating backward (or even sideways, that's backwardish!) should be off limits if you just ran forward, but slips/drops would be fine, whereas if M+A was done backward/sideways, then you shouldn't be able to slip forward as your retreat, only backward/sideways (and of course dropping is always fine)

But RAW, I think slips/sideslips still count as retreat variants and should be off limits... so I won't force the issue without your consent...

It seems like if I'm not decelerating then slipping is basically what I'd be doing automatically anyway...

You know, I'll just roll the dodge without the +1, up to you on what to do if it's MoF 1.

Trying to figure out where I was... my base dodge is normally 9, but due to being at 9/12 FP, I suffer a -1 HT -1 DX penalty which reduced my Basic Speed enough that Dodge is 8...

+1 One Foe... I guess I could get another +2 by using Feverish Defense (AP from 8/12 to 6/12) so that I can roll against 11.... Not going to bother with Acrobatic since that's bound to fail. I'm not forgetting any other possible bonuses am I?

I rolled an 8! Success!

I didn't need to use Feverish at all... AP waste fail.

*EDIT: actually a DOUBLE fail for me, since I forgot to incorporate that proposed +1 semi-telegraphed bonus to my defense anyway, meaning I should've rolled against a 12, or a 10 without feverish, which might've been appealing enough not to waste the AP. OH WELL.

Um... so Arthur Green just ran at Zack Red and tried to punch him in the leg, Zack dodged and threw a kick at Arthur's chest and Arthur dodged... but Arthur still has forward momentum which if he doesn't voluntarily decelerate, will continue to carry him forward, forcing an automatic Quick Contest of evasion...

...which I don't want to pay for, since I don't actually want to get behind you and expose my spine to a back-kick... I'd actually rather you just get in my way and slow me down with your body. If you chose to voluntarily move out of my way, that would be a bad thing for me! Then I'd either have to spend AP to decelerate or let momentum carry me past you (lacking the AP to change my facing) and get spine-kicked.

Yeah I'm still stuck, but at least we've resolved that I dodged your kick? Ideas?
Old 11-20-2019, 09:15 AM   #270
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
Yeah I'm still stuck, but at least we've resolved that I dodged your kick? Ideas?
I wouldn't have done the the telegraphing, but I don't think its worth changing anything: red attacked, green burned AP dodging, and that's the expected result.

I think green has either needs to spend AP to stop or make an attack. Or we can have him make that really penalized attack at -4 and defensive attack damage.