Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Ogre and G.E.V. > Ogre Video Game

Old 10-09-2017, 06:29 AM   #1
fierman

Default System requirements

Wanted to buy the game on steam today, when I saw the system requirements - which made me worried a bit.

A system with quad core processor + modern era video card required? My gaming system does not meet those requirements at all, and yet still I am able to play most current strategy games without any problems at all.
Is the game that 3d heavy? Does it perform well on lower end machines?

Thanks for answering!
fierman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 06:36 AM   #2
Ursus

Default Re: System requirements

I first installed it on my circa 2008/2009 Thinkpad T61p laptop. It played just fine. I think they overstate the minimum specs required.
Old 10-09-2017, 07:32 AM   #3
GranitePenguin
Ogre Line Editor

It performs fine on older hardware. I'm playing it under Wine on a 2011 MacBook Pro and it does just fine. I've also played it on the same system on Win7 in a VM, which is more painful, but at least possible.
Old 10-09-2017, 08:47 AM   #4
fierman

Thank you for the answers. I'll give it a try then.

How did you run it in wine btw? Do you have a complete steam setup running, or a binary of just the game?
fierman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 08:59 AM   #5
atomic

Does anyone know if there is a limit on the number of times the game can be installed? I've installed it on my desktop and laptop with no issues. When I tried to install it on my work latop I got a message saying I couldn't install on that system. No explanation, just a denial. My work laptop runs rings around my personal laptop, so it's not a system spec issue. I couldn't find anything on Steam about it, but I also didn't devote a great deal of effort to looking either.
atomic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 09:21 AM   #6
GranitePenguin
Ogre Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by fierman View Post
Thank you for the answers. I'll give it a try then.

How did you run it in wine btw? Do you have a complete steam setup running, or a binary of just the game?
I just followed this article for installing wine with homebrew to set it up.

After that, I ran the full Steam application, not just the Ogre binary. There were a couple quirks that I ran into.

- The Steam app itself is a little odd. All the browser-based stuff in the app shows as a black screen. This is apparently a known issue, but I didn't care to fix it because the game runs (and I don't give a rip about the Steam env).
- Ogre video needs to be set to windowed instead of fullscreen. The Shift-Tab and other related Steam things get weird if you are in fullscreen. Chat does work, though.
Old 10-09-2017, 09:30 AM   #7
GranitePenguin
Ogre Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by atomic View Post
Does anyone know if there is a limit on the number of times the game can be installed? I've installed it on my desktop and laptop with no issues. When I tried to install it on my work latop I got a message saying I couldn't install on that system. No explanation, just a denial. My work laptop runs rings around my personal laptop, so it's not a system spec issue. I couldn't find anything on Steam about it, but I also didn't devote a great deal of effort to looking either.
I have three different installs. Are you sure you don't have any work policy issues? If your system is managed by work, there may be Windows Group Policies getting in your way.
Old 10-09-2017, 10:20 AM   #8
GranitePenguin
Ogre Line Editor

These are the full stats for the system I'm using (again, runs fine at "high" graphics settings)

Model Name: MacBook Pro
Model Identifier: MacBookPro8,1
Processor Name: Intel Core i5
Processor Speed: 2.4 GHz
Number of Processors: 1
Total Number of Cores: 2
L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB
L3 Cache: 3 MB
Memory: 16 GB

Chipset Model: Intel HD Graphics 3000
Type: GPU
Bus: Built-In
VRAM (Dynamic, Max): 512 MB
Old 10-09-2017, 10:59 AM   #9
atomic

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranitePenguin View Post
I have three different installs. Are you sure you don't have any work policy issues? If your system is managed by work, there may be Windows Group Policies getting in your way.
Thanks, that's a good point. I have admin rights to the box. I just assumed I was violating a license limit so I didn't do any troubleshooting on my end. I'll look in the logs for next steps. Much appreciated!
atomic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 10:10 PM   #10
swensont

I'm on Lubuntu 16. I installed PlayOnLinux and then installed the Steam option. Once this installed, it ran Steam, where I created my account. I used the Steam web page to pay for Ogre. Then back to my Steam account to have it download and run. Once I started it, it took about 30 seconds for the game to start. Initially I was worried, but it started and ran fine. I did go through part of the tutorial to test it out.

I'm running on an older Lenovo L430 laptop with 4 Gig of RAM.
swensont is offline   Reply With Quote