Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game

Old 09-23-2017, 08:46 AM   #1
Taliesin
Banned

Default Sweet heaven is this well written.

Way to go Doc!

Easy to understand without dumbing down the rules. Significant improvement in clarity and organization over the basic set. Things that have caused much head scratching over the years are now easy to understand.
Most important - fun to read. The cool little asides from the characters really add to the "ambience" of the books.

Several small tweeks. Nearly all of which I will be importing in my other GURPS campaigns.

99% of the GURPS rules that apply to fantasy have been jammed into a much small word count which is an interesting achievement because I never considered the basic set to be wordy.

One thing I intend to import into DF is perks. I like perks.

Also allies. I understand and agree with them being too fiddly for an introductory set but they are just too cool leave out if you have experience with the full glory (and insanity) of GURPS.
Taliesin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 09:52 AM   #2
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

Default Re: Sweet heaven is this well written.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taliesin View Post

Way to go Doc!
Thank you! I can take credit only for the organization, writing, and rules engineering . . . All improvements in layout and page/book design are thanks to my colleagues.

Quote:

Most important - fun to read. The cool little asides from the characters really add to the "ambience" of the books.
I had lots of fun writing those. You'll be pleased to know that we continued the practice throughout the two booklets bundled with the Dungeon Fantasy GM Screen, the three stretch-goal PDFs (Traps, Magic Items, and Against the Rat-Men), and the Pyramid issues associated with the game. The writing is mine, but the space to do it is once again thanks to my capable colleagues.

Quote:

One thing I intend to import into DF is perks. I like perks.
Quite a few are there . . . we just don't call them "perks." They're treated as advantages that happen to cost 1 point.

Quote:

Also allies. I understand and agree with them being too fiddly for an introductory set but they are just too cool leave out if you have experience with the full glory (and insanity) of GURPS.
I want to seriously rethink Allies before dropping them in. I think we need a better pricing scheme, especially if it is to handle summoned entities in a balanced way. GURPS fans already have tons of house rules, but we can't assume that for the Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game.
Kromm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 09:59 AM   #3
Refplace

On the Allies I would like the rules for Contacts, Allies and Patrons merged together and modifiers applied. I have fiddled off and on with some concepts but nothing gelled yet.

The new Profession templates layout is something I have talked about before but I cant say enough how much an improvement they are over the current layout. So much easier to read!
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 11:25 AM   #4
rknop

Even in the main writing, the tone of it does a great job of fitting the genre. That is, it's not all jokey, but it also doesn't take itself too seriously -- as is the case for an action-and-loot driven dungeon romp (as opposed to an intricate-plot driven or angst-driven game). Things like the mildly humorous headings, or the fact that only alchemists bother to distinguish acid from "acid". They make it less dry than some more technical GURPS writing, but they're not so common as to be a distraction.
rknop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 08:25 AM   #5
demonsbane

Quote:
Originally Posted by rknop View Post
Even in the main writing, the tone of it does a great job of fitting the genre. That is, it's not all jokey, but it also doesn't take itself too seriously
What you say here is very interesting to me, and I think I also noticed the same by taking a very brief look to some DFRPG PDFs, but refraining myself from actually reading them while I'm waiting for receiving the box (it seems that the shipments to European backers will start this week).

It's also great to see Kromm around. Cheers!

"Physics is basic but inessential."
Wolfgang Smith

My G+
demonsbane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 08:37 AM   #6
Bruno

Quote:
Originally Posted by rknop View Post
...or the fact that only alchemists bother to distinguish acid from "acid".
I missed that one! Where's that from?
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 11:05 AM   #7
Evilboy

Echoing what all of the above have said. I backed this KS just expecting a nice, self contained and polished version of the Dungeon Fantasy line, and my expectations were very much exceeded!

I mean this as a total compliment when I say that this DFRPG box set feels like the spiritual realization of the The Fantasy Trip deluxe set Steve wanted to put out all those years ago.

I realize that likely wasn't the intention at all of the Dr and Crew, and I don't want to downplay the efforts of today's Gurps Experts (tm). I'm just saying that they managed to awaken the old school nostalgia in me with a package made with the best of today's design. :-)
Evilboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 11:43 AM   #8
Rupert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno View Post
I missed that one! Where's that from?
Exploits, p.65
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acid
Acid is any liquid that corrodes equipment and flesh. There
are many such chemicals, not all of which are properly “acid.”
Only alchemists bother to distinguish.

"A pessimist is an optimist with a sense of history."
Rupert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 11:28 PM   #9
rknop

Actually, I think my favorite line is in the Races chapter of Adventurers. It's the response that half-elves give to elves not offering them access to elven equipment.... (That line was in GURPS Dungeon Fantasy 3, though, so it's not new.)
rknop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 01:23 PM   #10
Pseudonym

P.109 of Dungeon Fantasy - Adventurers, under "As You Like It," that's the most absolute madman thing in the entire set.