Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Roleplaying in General

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-29-2016, 07:56 PM   #131
Flyndaran
Untagged
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Forest Grove, Beaverton, Oregon
Default Re: bending stereotypes

Quote:
Originally Posted by simply Nathan View Post
On that train of thought, someone well below average intelligence who loves reading books.
My best friend learned how to read in her 20s. She's slow, but tries much harder than lazy me ever could.
__________________
Beware, poor communication skills. No offense intended. If offended, it just means that I failed my writing skill check.
Flyndaran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 07:57 PM   #132
Flyndaran
Untagged
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Forest Grove, Beaverton, Oregon
Default Re: bending stereotypes

My housemate is an odd one in that she is obsessed with zombie and horror movies but in real life is full on Gurps Squeamish.
__________________
Beware, poor communication skills. No offense intended. If offended, it just means that I failed my writing skill check.
Flyndaran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 10:22 PM   #133
David Johnston2
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Default Re: bending stereotypes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
My housemate is an odd one in that she is obsessed with zombie and horror movies but in real life is full on Gurps Squeamish.
That's not odd. In order to find horror movies really appealing they have to touch something visceral in you. If they don't stir up a bit of fear and or disgust (but not too much) in the viewer, they're probably going to seem just tedious.
David Johnston2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 11:00 PM   #134
jason taylor
 
jason taylor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Portland, Oregon
Default Re: bending stereotypes

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Johnston2 View Post
That's not odd. In order to find horror movies really appealing they have to touch something visceral in you. If they don't stir up a bit of fear and or disgust (but not too much) in the viewer, they're probably going to seem just tedious.
I never had a taste for horror myself.
__________________
"The navy could probably win a war without coffee but would prefer not to try"-Samuel Eliot Morrison
jason taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 11:09 PM   #135
Flyndaran
Untagged
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Forest Grove, Beaverton, Oregon
Default Re: bending stereotypes

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason taylor View Post
I never had a taste for horror myself.
Me too, but because I'm a giant major chicken with anxiety issues. It's either not scary or ARRGH! run away from the TV, with no real in between.

It's that she gets nauseated when I simply mention I'm about to check my blood sugar because of the tiny stick. Just an oddity, as well as being the first person I've ever met that perfectly epitomizes Phobia: Squeamish.
I'm not sure I would accept her without at least a raised eyebrow if she were a written up PC.
I do think it is a stereotype for the horror nut to be a lover of grossness in reality.
__________________
Beware, poor communication skills. No offense intended. If offended, it just means that I failed my writing skill check.
Flyndaran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 11:22 PM   #136
jason taylor
 
jason taylor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Portland, Oregon
Default Re: bending stereotypes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
Me too, but because I'm a giant major chicken with anxiety issues. It's either not scary or ARRGH! run away from the TV, with no real in between.

It's that she gets nauseated when I simply mention I'm about to check my blood sugar because of the tiny stick. Just an oddity, as well as being the first person I've ever met that perfectly epitomizes Phobia: Squeamish.
I'm not sure I would accept her without at least a raised eyebrow if she were a written up PC.
I do think it is a stereotype for the horror nut to be a lover of grossness in reality.
Well I am a bit fastidious in a lot of things some more then others(I almost morbidly hate having unwashed hands for instance). Also, while I won't say I don't have a sadistic streak buried down there somewhere(given my taste for mildly dark humor I probably do), nonetheless a whole movie about the characters doing nothing but suffering helplessly does not attract me.
__________________
"The navy could probably win a war without coffee but would prefer not to try"-Samuel Eliot Morrison
jason taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 11:24 PM   #137
jason taylor
 
jason taylor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Portland, Oregon
Default Re: bending stereotypes

A big macho all-american country boy whose animal best friend is-a cat.
__________________
"The navy could probably win a war without coffee but would prefer not to try"-Samuel Eliot Morrison
jason taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 11:28 PM   #138
Flyndaran
Untagged
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Forest Grove, Beaverton, Oregon
Default Re: bending stereotypes

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason taylor View Post
A big macho all-american country boy whose animal best friend is-a cat.
Not far enough as every grain farmer could use a good mouser.
You need an animal devoid of classic masculinity like our chihuahua mix. Adorable at times, but annoyingly yappy the other 23.4 hours a day. ;)
__________________
Beware, poor communication skills. No offense intended. If offended, it just means that I failed my writing skill check.
Flyndaran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 12:57 AM   #139
RyanW
 
RyanW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Southeast NC
Default Re: bending stereotypes

I guess not exactly bending a stereotype, but certainly a bit different: I once had a JSDF unmanned orbital patrol craft which had an AI that used as its visual avatar an elderly Japanese woman tending a vegetable garden.
__________________
RyanW
Shuri is the best Disney Princess.
RyanW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 02:33 PM   #140
Johan Larson
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Toronto, Canada
Default Re: bending stereotypes

A work of art that celebrates following convention or the guidance of your elders rather than youthful dreams.

A work of art the celebrates unity of background or purpose rather than diversity.
Johan Larson is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Fnords are Off
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:35 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.