Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-25-2017, 11:27 PM   #1
weso12

Default Question about Scaling Weapons from GURPS Low-Tech Companion 2

I've noticed that rules in Low-Tech Companion 2, while it doesn't say it, doesn't seem to really cover low-tech long-range weapons such as Bows, Crossbows, slings, and throwing weapons, correct me if I'm wrong: but I'm assuming damage works the same as melee weapons, how would it work for blowpipes? (I'm guess that it'd work by using the Damage (0 or less) table but that's just a guess), accuracy would be the same, if I had to guess multiply range multiplier by the the reach multiplier, apply the same weight rules for both missile and ammunition, RoF and Shots remains the same I assume?

Also they are any rules for guns of different sizes, anywhere, should i just assume they work the same?

Also am I the only one who feels the costs of the scaled weapons and armor are wonky, the costs only make sense if the only factor of cost was the material used, but that's ignoring labor, cost of distribution and demand, i'm thinking if I need to use these weapons rules, I'll use this formula to determine cost for small weapons (I'd still use the regular formula for large weapons): 50% of Cost + (Weight multiplier * 50% of cost), basically the justification that roughly half the cost of the weapon is material cost and rest is labor and transportation cost etc, this is probably not perfect accurate but it's close enough: So for example: An SM-6 axe instead of costing $0.5 costs $25.25)
weso12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 11:36 PM   #2
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Default Re: Question about Scaling Weapons from GURPS Low-Tech Companion 2

For bows and crossbows you probably want to use "The Deadly Spring".
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 12:53 AM   #3
Prince Charon

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
Unless you're especially bad at math, IIRC, in which case you may not want to (or I could be mixing that up with another article; I've forgotten which issue The Deadly Spring was in).

"The more corrupt a government, the more it legislates."
-- Tacitus

Five Earths, All in a Row. Updated 12/17/2022: Apocrypha: Bridges out of Time, Part I has been posted.
Prince Charon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 12:55 AM   #4
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince Charon View Post
Unless you're especially bad at math, IIRC, in which case you may not want to (or I could be mixing that up with another article; I've forgotten which issue The Deadly Spring was in).
Just use the spreadsheet.
Old 07-26-2017, 12:58 AM   #5
Ulzgoroth

Quote:
Although if you do, you're probably not going to be using the regular stat-lines for the default-size versions...
Old 07-26-2017, 01:02 AM   #6
weso12

Quote:
Just use the spreadsheet.
I might sound like an idiot but where is this spreadsheet i can't find it anywhere?

Also that doesn't solve the issues with thrown weapons, slings, blowpipes, guns etc.
Old 07-26-2017, 01:06 AM   #7
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by weso12 View Post
I might sound like an idiot but where is this spreadsheet i can't find it anywhere?[
Pyramid #3/33: Low-Tech

Quote:
Also that doesn't solve the issues with thrown weapons, slings, blowpipes, guns etc.
Yeah there isn't anything really for slings that I know of. There is an article about blowpipes, but I don't think it addresses scaling, for guns there's nothing official (yet), but there is the spreadsheet available from Gaming Ballistic (Douglas Cole's blog).
Old 07-26-2017, 01:15 AM   #8
weso12

Quote:

Yeah there isn't anything really for slings that I know of. There is an article about blowpipes, but I don't think it addresses scaling, for guns there's nothing official (yet), but there is the spreadsheet available from Gaming Ballistic (Douglas Cole's blog).
I checked that article but there isn't an actual spreadsheet attached to it just says that a spreadsheet might help the process. I'll just make the spreadsheet on my own with the information in it, I'm moderately talented in google sheet.
Old 07-26-2017, 01:17 AM   #9
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by weso12 View Post
I checked that article but there isn't an actual spreadsheet attached to it just says that a spreadsheet might help the process. I'll just make the spreadsheet on my own with the information in it, I'm moderately talented in google sheet.
The spreadsheet is bundled with the download.
Old 07-26-2017, 02:35 AM   #10
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:

The blowpipes' article does cover a few sizes within human norm.

Tags
low-tech companion 2, pyramid 3/33