Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 09-08-2020, 03:38 AM   #1
Anders

Default Copper weapons and armor

If you haven't discovered bronze, or are low on tin, you may have to do with copper. You can make crappy weapons and tools with copper - better than stone tools but far worse than bronze or steel. So...

1) You can make copper spearheads and axeheads, as well as knives. They are +1 CF and automatically cheap quality.

2) You can make copper plates to use as armor, but it has -1 DR and +1 CF.

3) Working with copper tools for applications that assume bronze or iron tools gives -2 to skill. Again, +1 CF.

What do you think?
Old 09-08-2020, 05:47 AM   #2
AlexanderHowl

Default Re: Copper weapons and armor

Copper is often worse than stone for the purpose of making weapons (though a copper mace would just be more expensive than a stone mace), so I would treat it as stone but -1 to cutting/impaling damage and 3x the cost. There is no reason to make armor or tools out of copper (leather is better for the former and stone is better for the latter), so it would only be used for either in ceremonial settings.
AlexanderHowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 06:31 AM   #3
maximara
On Notice

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderHowl View Post
Copper is often worse than stone for the purpose of making weapons (though a copper mace would just be more expensive than a stone mace), so I would treat it as stone but -1 to cutting/impaling damage and 3x the cost. There is no reason to make armor or tools out of copper (leather is better for the former and stone is better for the latter), so it would only be used for either in ceremonial settings.
The Chalcolithic period is interesting in that is lasted around 1,000 years but as you mention copper just doesn't seem to have used for armor or weapons.
Help make a digital reference for GURPS by coming to the GURPS wiki and provide some information and links (such as to various Fanmade 4e Bestiaries) . Please, provide more then just a title and a page number.
maximara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 06:42 AM   #4
Anders

I'm not so sure about that. The ice-man Ötzi's axe was made from copper, and the Egyptians used copper-tipped spears, copper helmets and copper tools (notably chisels).
Old 09-08-2020, 06:51 AM   #5
Tyneras

Copper has the advantage of being easily repairable. If your stone axe cracks in half, you need a completely new axe. If you copper axe gets bent, you can pound it back into shape and sharpen. The need to frequently sharpen copper would be annoying, but how does that compare with needing to knap dulled stone tools?
Old 09-08-2020, 08:55 AM   #6
Dustin

Copper's low melting point probably contributes to its scarceness in the archaeological record. I expect most of it ended up recycled into later bronze items, unless it was lost at sea or under similar unfortunate circumstances (as with Ötzi).
Old 09-08-2020, 09:30 AM   #7
The Colonel

Quote:
Originally Posted by maximara View Post
The Chalcolithic period is interesting in that is lasted around 1,000 years but as you mention copper just doesn't seem to have used for armor or weapons.
I'm pretty sure there were some copper disc breastplates kicking about in ancient Mesopotamia and a couple of other fertile crescent civs seem to have used copper maces, axes and similar weapons - as Dustin suggests, I'm tempted to blame recycling. Plus, it wouldn't surprise me if anyone using something as soft as copper to make weapons wasn't used to recasting them every now and again.
The Colonel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 03:46 PM   #8
weby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustin View Post
Copper's low melting point probably contributes to its scarceness in the archaeological record. I expect most of it ended up recycled into later bronze items, unless it was lost at sea or under similar unfortunate circumstances (as with Ötzi).
I think that this is a big reason.

As for copper making worse tools or weapons than stone, they have one huge advantage: Repairability. A broken stone tool usually means having to make it again whereas a copper tool can be often hammered back to shape.
Old 09-08-2020, 04:41 PM   #9
Rupert

Quote:
Originally Posted by weby View Post
I think that this is a big reason.

As for copper making worse tools or weapons than stone, they have one huge advantage: Repairability. A broken stone tool usually means having to make it again whereas a copper tool can be often hammered back to shape.
And of not, then it can be melted down and remade into a new tool.

"A pessimist is an optimist with a sense of history."
Rupert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 06:40 PM   #10
DanHoward

They worked out pretty early on that some ores produced better tools and weapons than others. There are plenty of copper deposits with contaminants like arsenic that produce weapons that are almost as good as bronze, and plenty of physical examples in the archaeological record. Copper makes perfectly functional body armour too, but there is nothing to suggest that body armour of any kind was used before the second millennium - well after the Bronze Age began. The only evidence for armour in Mesopotamia is helmets (made from copper), definitely no body armour.

As far as GURPS goes there is no functional difference between bronze and copper except that copper is less durable and requires a lot more maintenance.

Last edited by DanHoward; 09-09-2020 at 12:50 AM.
DanHoward is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
armor, copper, weapons