Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Warehouse 23 > Pyramid

Old 06-24-2008, 09:42 AM   #11
b-dog

Default Re: Stuff I'd like to see in Pyramid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toadkiller_Dog
Do you mean NPCs, or critters?
Both, I feel you can never get enough bad guys. Plus, I would like to see some ideas of how GURPS players make their bad guys.

Quote:
I could easily write critters, I have dozens statted for 4e for my games, but it might run across problems as they are heavily based on earlier 3e books and just converted and slightly changed. I don't know how kosher that is, so I haven't even attempted it. I mean, would SJG really want me to sell my own version of Wraiths, slightly changed from Undead 3e, back to them? Probably not.
Undead and such could be cool. I think that ndead for use in DF is a little different in DF genre because they would need to have extra DR and possibly regeneration or invulnerabilies because undead would be too weak otherwise. This would be easily justified because DF has more magic available so possibly the unholy energies that make undead give them greater powers.

Quote:
But still, I'd like to see more critters too. You're full of ideas, b-dog, you might take a crack at expanding one of your "idea" posts into a short article. Get the ball rolling. One-two good articles will give you DF supplement money for some time to come.
I wouldn't mind writing some articles but I think that the GURPS crowd prefers complex villains who are only evil because of something in their past or the villians don't realize what they are doing is harmful, whereas my villians tend to be total jerks and are fully aware of it. So I don't think my writings would be printed.
b-dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 12:56 PM   #12
selenite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Masters
There's also a tendency to assume that stuff about fictional settings requires checking by the original creator, but that's weaker. I like to run Transhuman Space material past David if possible, but I can get away with not doing so...
In general, how open are the creators to doing that kind of checking? I've assumed "Please read and comment before I send it to the slushpile" requests would be in the spam category.
selenite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 07:51 PM   #13
griffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by b-dog
How about some good villians like liches, vampires, and other nasties so that they can be used in campaigns along with some ideas for adventures. Also, how about some non-silly DF articles, the Nutrinomicon is only good for Munchkin style DF and would not work well with anyone wanting something more serious. Just my two cents.
I'd like to see some GURPS Cabal villians. DF villans would be OK, but not as interesting to me.
griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 09:34 PM   #14
J. Edward Tremlett

Quote:
I wouldn't mind writing some articles but I think that the GURPS crowd prefers complex villains who are only evil because of something in their past or the villians don't realize what they are doing is harmful, whereas my villians tend to be total jerks and are fully aware of it. So I don't think my writings would be printed.
Well, I for one can appreciate evil jerks :)

Why not just write it up, send it in and see if it flies? The worst that can happen is the editor will say 'no.'
It is a terrible thing to fall into the hands of the Living God (Heb. 10:31)

"Or the light that never, never warms" (Boc. 6:55)

Read SPYGOD. Behold my Linked In

Buy my (SJ Games) stuff.
J. Edward Tremlett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 09:43 PM   #15
Agemegos

Quote:
Originally Posted by selenite
In general, how open are the creators to doing that kind of checking? I've assumed "Please read and comment before I send it to the slushpile" requests would be in the spam category.
That's about what I'd expect, too.

Decay is inherent in all composite things.
Nod head. Get treat.
Agemegos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 05:03 AM   #16
Peter V. Dell'Orto
Fightin' Round the World

Quote:
Originally Posted by selenite
Depends on the author, the article, and the writer. I vaguely remember Werner H. H. Hartmann and I checking with David Pulver about our THS martial arts article, or perhaps Steven Marsh checked for us.

I wouldn't mind checking Martial Arts articles if they are rules expansions or rules options or techniques or historical/real styles, but I'm really busy so it's not always an option. Steven might prefer it if some unknown author submitted an article, but then again, he might not. There is no need for me to check a fictional style - like Phil Masters said, MA is a toolkit, and building your own styles is part of the deal.

In general, though, you probably don't need to, but you can if you want to - and I expect most authors would answer the email or PM, at least, even if only to say "I'm busy, if Steven Marsh wants it, that's fine...good luck" or something to that effect.
My S&C Blog
My Dungeon Fantasy Game Blog
"You fall onto five death checks." - Andy Dokachev
Peter V. Dell'Orto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 05:07 AM   #17
Peter V. Dell'Orto
Fightin' Round the World

Quote:
The only person you really need to impress is Steven Marsh. Instead of posting an entire short encounter area with monsters and stats and treasure and all of that here on the forums, next time, write it up as text with hypertext markups (Bold, Italics, etc.) and send to the pyramid@sjgames.com and see what happens.

Keep the first one short and snappy, and it's even more likely to go in, because there are times Steven needs to fill smaller holes in his wordcount budget, and goodness knows my articles are always 2500-4000 word monsters, so a 500-1000 word villain, monster, or encounter area would be golden.

And besides, some of us like mustache-twirling bad guys who wake up in the morning thinking of how to kill Moose and Squirrel. Er, I mean, thinking of how to deal out evil that day. Go for it.
My S&C Blog
My Dungeon Fantasy Game Blog
"You fall onto five death checks." - Andy Dokachev
Peter V. Dell'Orto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 08:04 AM   #18
Not another shrubbery

Quote:
And besides, some of us like mustache-twirling bad guys who wake up in the morning thinking of how to kill Moose and Squirrel. Er, I mean, thinking of how to deal out evil that day.
Actually... I could use a little of that :|

"I put bomb in squirrel's briefcase and who gets blown up? Me!"
Not another shrubbery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 08:08 PM   #19
capnq

The only articles in Pyramid that I don't read are reviews of products for which I can tell from the title that I wouldn't be interested in buying it. And there are fewer of those than I'd expect.

When we remember we are all mad, the mysteries disappear and life stands explained. -- Mark Twain
capnq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 08:38 PM   #20
b-dog

Quote:
Keep the first one short and snappy, and it's even more likely to go in, because there are times Steven needs to fill smaller holes in his wordcount budget, and goodness knows my articles are always 2500-4000 word monsters, so a 500-1000 word villain, monster, or encounter area would be golden.

And besides, some of us like mustache-twirling bad guys who wake up in the morning thinking of how to kill Moose and Squirrel. Er, I mean, thinking of how to deal out evil that day. Go for it.
Thanks, I'll try to write a few villians. I've got quite a few baddies in mind.
b-dog is offline   Reply With Quote