Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Other Munchkin Games

Old 01-26-2009, 10:18 PM   #11
morleydotes
Moderator Emeritus

Default Re: Loaded die to start the game

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Hackard
(And, honestly, I don't know why you'd waste a LD on that roll when there are so many other die rolls in Quest that are way more important.)
First turn gives the advantage of setting the stage so to speak. I've played over 25 games, won 3. Each time, I started, set up the stage and KNOWING that I was going first, played certain cards to my character first. These are cards that I would have held back on playing until later if I was going second or third in the game.

I have demo'ed 20 times and found that folks compete to go first.

Pat
morleydotes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 05:04 PM   #12
O'Keefe

Default Re: Loaded die to start the game

Quote:
Originally Posted by msw
This is just a silly question that got us laughing a bit when we started a game of Munchkin Quest. When reading the rule book, starting from first page, reading each page top to bottom, the order of action during the setup and start phase of the game is as follows (among other actions):
  • In the setup section. "A starting hand of three Treasure cards and three DxM cards.
  • In the following section. "Each player rolls a die. The highest roll goes first."
So, technically, you can have a Loaded Die on your hand when you roll for who starts. A Reloaded Die would be the same, so focus is on Loaded Die only to simplify my question.

If you want to go first, could you play the Loaded Die to make sure you get the highest roll? Have the game actually started at that point, so you can't really play cards yet? Would there actually be any advantage in controlling start order, if you could?

My thoughts on the last question would be, for example, that maybe you can get a head start in gear and level by going first, therefore offer more help to the next player in turn order that other players do, and in turn get even more cards early on. Or would you rather make sure you don't start, because you can visit cleared rooms and search for treasure early on without being bothered by monsters? Or is it actually worth it at all?

This would, I assume, apply to all Munchkin variants where there are Loaded Die cards if the setup and start phases are written in similar order, not just Quest.
Not getting into the argument about the value of going first, but I would totally let someone Loaded Die a "see who starts roll".

THIS IS MUNCHKIN!!!
will@sjgames.com
O'Keefe is offline   Reply With Quote