Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 11-05-2014, 03:39 AM   #31
Flyndaran
Untagged

Default Re: [Basic] Advantage of the Week (#17): Brachiator; Clinging; Super Climbing

Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs View Post
Glue? I thought that limpets did simple partial vacuum adhesion. In any case, the game mechanics for Clinging says not one word about van der Waals bonds; it simply says that you can stick to a wall or ceiling, without specifying how.

Bill Stoddard
I said it was how I define it, not how R.A.W. does.
Clinging is the ability to cling to any substance without fail. The only way to do that realistically is with Van der Waals force like geckos.
Old 11-05-2014, 03:40 AM   #32
Flyndaran
Untagged

Default Re: [Basic] Advantage of the Week (#17): Brachiator; Clinging; Super Climbing

Quote:
Glue? I thought that limpets did simple partial vacuum adhesion. In any case, the game mechanics for Clinging says not one word about van der Waals bonds; it simply says that you can stick to a wall or ceiling, without specifying how.

Bill Stoddard
Wikipedia said suction and sticky mucus.
Old 11-05-2014, 02:39 PM   #33
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
I
Clinging is the ability to cling to any substance without fail. The only way to do that realistically is with Van der Waals force like geckos.
Walking is the ability to cross unobstructed even surfaces without fail. There is no way to realistically do this with bipedal locomotion.

GURPS doesn't have rules to see if you can walk under normal conditions, why do you suppose it should have them to see if Spiderman can climb a wall?

Geckos probably also sometimes "trip" too, BTW.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 03:48 PM   #34
whswhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Benj View Post
You have Clinging, Bill?
Yes, but it's aspected. It only works on philosophical points.

Bill Stoddard
whswhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 07:09 PM   #35
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
Walking is the ability to cross unobstructed even surfaces without fail. There is no way to realistically do this with bipedal locomotion.
Okay, Mr. Fellow Pedantic-man: Wall walkers fall significantly more often than even clumsy walker me face-plants after tripping.
Old 11-05-2014, 08:33 PM   #36
Otaku

Quote:
Okay, Mr. Fellow Pedantic-man: Wall walkers fall significantly more often than even clumsy walker me face-plants after tripping.
...so if you're using it to model something real (but much more complex) you look for Limitations to represent this?
My GURPS Fourth Edition library consists of Basic Set: Characters, Basic Set: Campaigns, Martial Arts, Powers, Powers: Enhanced Senses, Power-Ups 1: Imbuements, Power-Ups 2: Perks, Power-Ups 3: Talents, Power-Ups 4: Enhancements, Power-Ups 6: Quirks, Power-Ups 8: Limitations, Powers, Social Engineering, Supers, Template Toolkit 1: Characters, Template Toolkit 2: Races, one issue of Pyramid (3/83) a.k.a. Alternate GURPS IV, GURPS Classic Rogues, and GURPS Classic Warriors. Most of which was provided through the generosity of others. Thanks! :)
Otaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 08:41 PM   #37
Not

I'm actually unsure whether a clinger has to roll to hold on after taking injury. I only remember that he has to roll to catch himself after a fall.
Old 11-05-2014, 08:45 PM   #38
whswhs

Quote:
And if you build a character with Clinging, is it going to add to the fun of playing them if you're constantly having to roll to see if they fall down?

Bill Stoddard
whswhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 09:10 PM   #39
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not View Post
I'm actually unsure whether a clinger has to roll to hold on after taking injury. I only remember that he has to roll to catch himself after a fall.
Failed Knockdown rolls probably mean falling.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 09:20 PM   #40
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
And if you build a character with Clinging, is it going to add to the fun of playing them if you're constantly having to roll to see if they fall down?

Bill Stoddard
Any playable character with clinging won't be realistic. It would be a very odd game if it involved non-sapient geckos. Perhaps he can be friends with the psychic muffin.

Tags
advantage, advantage of the week, brachiator, clinging, super climbing, [basic]