Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Ogre and G.E.V.

Old 11-23-2016, 11:08 AM   #1
Aleph
Administrator

Default New Scenario: Ogrelympics

New Scenario: Ogrelympics

You can find this new Ogre scenario at the link above. Please play it and comment - on game balance, clarity of instructions, or whatever else you think of - here in this thread.
Aleph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2016, 12:56 PM   #2
offsides

Default Re: New Scenario: Ogrelympics

Is the armor allowed to attack the opposing armor, or just the Ogre? And can the Ogres go after each other in the non-CP scenario? I know it might be a bad idea since it would necessarily slow you down to cross the board rather than forging straight ahead, but depending on how things play out it might be worthwhile...
Joshua Megerman, SJGames MIB #5273 - Ogre AI Testing Division
offsides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2016, 01:50 PM   #3
HeatDeath

I would tend to assume, in the absence of verbiage to the contrary, that anything not expressly forbidden is allowed.

The choice between attacking the opposing armor and staying in place to waylay the Ogre coming at you sounds actually pretty interesting. As it says, "Lots and lots of units are going to get blown up here very quickly."

Last edited by HeatDeath; 11-23-2016 at 02:10 PM.
HeatDeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2016, 05:34 PM   #4
Dave Crowell

The only prohibitions I see in the scenario are that armor units can't shoot at the CPs, and Ogres can't leave the map with the enemy CP still standing.

Interestingly enough you can take Missile Crawlers if you want to... Up to four of them in fact.

If armor units are allowed to shoot at other armor units I doubt many crawlers will survive past turn 2, if that. But, if you get very lucky, the enemy Ogre will be slagged.
Dave Crowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2016, 05:57 PM   #5
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

I'm surprised (disappointed?) that there isn't an option for the PanEuro player to use a PanEuro Ogre, there are very few scenarios that actually use them...
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2016, 07:29 PM   #6
Dave Crowell

I was thinking that variant scenarios using other Ogres would be fun. Why should the Mk Vs have all the fun?

I suppose part of the reason we don't see more Paneuro Ogre variants in scenarios is that other than the Fencer ODE/6e doesn't include them in chipboard. That and several of them are mechanically equivalent to their Combine Counterparts.
Dave Crowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2016, 03:44 PM   #7
wolf90

Quote:
Originally Posted by offsides View Post
Is the armor allowed to attack the opposing armor, or just the Ogre? And can the Ogres go after each other in the non-CP scenario?
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatDeath View Post
I would tend to assume, in the absence of verbiage to the contrary, that anything not expressly forbidden is allowed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Crowell View Post
The only prohibitions I see in the scenario are that armor units can't shoot at the CPs, and Ogres can't leave the map with the enemy CP still standing.
HeatDeath and Dave are correct, offsides. The few restrictions placed are there just to prevent a Munchkin-type win. But the expectation is that there will be lots of shooting between all forces.

D.
Proud sponsor of Ogre KS $4.5k Sheet #3 - Bringing the Vatican Guard, a Tiger-striped mercenary unit, and of course pink GEVs, to a game near you! Orders may be placed here.
wolf90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2016, 03:45 PM   #8
wolf90

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
I'm surprised (disappointed?) that there isn't an option for the PanEuro player to use a PanEuro Ogre, there are very few scenarios that actually use them...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Crowell View Post
I was thinking that variant scenarios using other Ogres would be fun. Why should the Mk Vs have all the fun?
Excellent suggestions. This is why you're here helping out! I'll work on adding them as variants for Steve's final product.

D.
Proud sponsor of Ogre KS $4.5k Sheet #3 - Bringing the Vatican Guard, a Tiger-striped mercenary unit, and of course pink GEVs, to a game near you! Orders may be placed here.
Old 11-26-2016, 08:23 PM   #9
dwalend

Dumb question: Is the Combine ogre trying to exit the west side of the board (and the Paneuropean ogre trying to exit the east side)? Or are both racing to the north? Or south?
dwalend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2016, 10:12 PM   #10
wolf90

They are both racing to the North.

D.