Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin 101

Old 06-09-2014, 08:34 PM   #1
wcuchick

Default Munchkin Rule Clarifications

I want to apologize in advance if any of these questions have been previously asked, but I didn't have time to read through all the posts. After almost a year of playing munchkin, the group I play with always has disputes over certain rules and we wanted them clarified, I figured it'd be easier to just post them all in one thread.
1) Can the elf reach the winning level by helping kill another monster?
2) When you get cursed to lose one small item, does it have to be an item you're equipped with or can it be an item you have turned to the side you're not using or in your hand?
3) If you use a super munchkin card with just one class does the "no disadvantages" rule only apply to fighting monsters? For example, if I'm a "super thief" can I use the singing and dancing sword?
4) Can you change what item your heirling is carrying?
5) Can a thief steal the really impressive title?
6) Do you get the bonuses of heirlings? Example, if I have a thief heirling can I steal?
7) Can you cary, but not use an unlimited number of items? (the items you have turned sideways on the table) Example, we've had cases where one person had over ten items turned sideways and not in play on the table
8) I know a thief can only attempt to steal one item once, but can he continue to attempt to steal other items from the same victim?
wcuchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 08:48 PM   #2
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor

Default Re: Munchkin Rule Clarifications

As a general rule, we would prefer that people ask unrelated questions in separate threads to make it easier for other folks to find the answers when they search. And don't apologize for asking questions -- that's what Munchkin 101 is for!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wcuchick View Post
1) Can the elf reach the winning level by helping kill another monster?
Yes.

Quote:
2) When you get cursed to lose one small item, does it have to be an item you're equipped with or can it be an item you have turned to the side you're not using or in your hand?
It cannot be a card from your hand -- those can't be targeted unless something specifically includes them. It can be a small Item that's turned sideways. It can also be a one-shot Item you have in play but haven't used yet, which can be turned sideways but doesn't have to be.

Quote:
3) If you use a super munchkin card with just one class does the "no disadvantages" rule only apply to fighting monsters? For example, if I'm a "super thief" can I use the singing and dancing sword?
Yes.

Quote:
4) Can you change what item your heirling is carrying?
Yes.

Quote:
5) Can a thief steal the really impressive title?
No. It's not an Item because it doesn't have a printed value, not even "No Value" (which is the same as zero Gold Pieces).

Quote:
6) Do you get the bonuses of heirlings? Example, if I have a thief heirling can I steal?
You can do exactly what the specific Hireling card says, and nothing more.

Quote:
7) Can you cary, but not use an unlimited number of items? (the items you have turned sideways on the table) Example, we've had cases where one person had over ten items turned sideways and not in play on the table
As long as the player is following the rules for Big items (only one on the table at a time unless you use Cheat! or a Hireling, or are a Dwarf), there is no limit to the unequipped Items you can have in play.

Quote:
8) I know a thief can only attempt to steal one item once, but can he continue to attempt to steal other items from the same victim?
Actually, a Thief isn't required to name the target of his theft until after he rolls successfully, so he could theoretically keep trying to steal the same card until he succeeded or ran out of cards to discard to power the attempt.

Let people like what they like. Don't be a gamer hater.

#PlayMunchkin on social media: Twitter || Facebook || Instagram || YouTube
Follow us on Kickstarter: Steve Jackson Games and Warehouse 23
Andrew Hackard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 04:56 AM   #3
MunchkinMan

Quote:
Andrew's answer was a little brief, but what he was responding to the last question, and not answering both (which would be conflicting): Yes, you can use the Singing and Dancing Sword if you're a Super Thief. It also applies to Monsters getting bonuses against/giving penalties to a Thief. Once you add a second Class along with Super Munchkin and Thief, you'd have to turn that Singing and Dancing Sword sideways. Of course, in the above text you can replace Thief with any Class when you have just that Class with Super Munchkin (and, of course, talk about a different Item).
MiB #1029
MunchkinMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 01:20 PM   #4
wcuchick

Thanks for all the help! Really cleared up a lot, just one more question though, in the answered to question 2 you mentioned that a curse can affect a one shot item on the table but not used yet. I was under the impression that one shot items had to stay in your hand, could you please give me an example of a one-shot item you can lay on the table?
wcuchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 01:36 PM   #5
MunchkinMan

Any one-shot Item, since they are Items. The rules say:
Quote:
Any Item card may be played to the table as soon as you get it, or at any time on your own turn other than in combat (unless the card itself says otherwise).
And;
Quote:
One-shot items, such as potions, may be played directly from your hand during combat. You can also use one-shot items that you already had in play.
And, finally:
Quote:
Any one-shot Item can by played during any combat, whether you have it in your hand or on the table.
MiB #1029
Old 08-30-2014, 01:32 PM   #6
l2thomas

1. So can a super warrior use a card that says usable by thief only?

2. When hit with the lose one small item curse can I use a one shot that is either in my hand or on the table?
l2thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 03:48 PM   #7
MunchkinMan

1. No. He's not a Thief. He can use Items that specifically say not usable by Warrior, but not something that specifically says it is only usable by some other Class.
  2. No. Just because you can play them from your hand does not make them Items for the purposes of Curses or Bad Stuff.
MiB #1029
Old 08-30-2014, 07:31 PM   #8
l2thomas

So for #2, I can still use a one shot with a value on it that is already on the table to satisfy the curse of losing one item, and it can't be from the player's hand. Is this correct?

Thank you for the help
l2thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 07:25 AM   #9
MunchkinMan

One-shot Item cards in play are Items, so yes, they can be discarded to "pay" for a Curse, Bad Stuff, or other card effect that requires you to discard an Item.
MiB #1029
Old 09-01-2014, 01:26 PM   #10
Rebel792

I also need help understanding the rule about carrying potions. Are you saying that I can place a potion or one shot item on the table and turn it sideways to carry the item but not equip it "in order to free up space in my hand" and still use that item when i am in combat?

two other questions,

1. can two other players team up to use a "wandering monster card" against another player. for example I have a wandering monster card, player "B" has a lvl 18 monster. Can I give player "B: my wandering monster card in order to player it against Player "C".

2. and this kind of ties in to question 1. is trading or giving cards to other player even allowed?

Last edited by Rebel792; 09-03-2014 at 08:47 AM.
Rebel792 is offline   Reply With Quote