Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 08-17-2018, 04:27 PM   #1
Erling

Default Several questions about limb injuries

These rules' wordings seem quite clear, but I'd like to know for sure whether I get them right.

1) If one uses basic rules for injury, repeated hits to the limb can inflict injury over crippling threshold.

Example: Joe has 11 HP and takes two hits in the same leg. First one scores 8 HP, which is reduced to 6 HP. Second one scores 5 HP. Joe is at 0 HP now.

The point is that only excessive injury per one hit is lost.

2) If one uses Accumulated Wounds optional rule, repeated hits to the limb can't inflict injury over crippling threshold.

Example: Joe has 11 HP and takes two hits in the same leg. First one scores 8 HP, which is reduced to 6 HP. Second one scores 5 HP, which is reduced to 0 HP and ignored (by RAW that also means no additional shock). Joe is at 5 HP now.

The point is that any excessive injury is lost, regardless of whether it's caused by a single hit or repeated hits.

3) If one uses Last Wounds optional rule, he should choose whether last 1/3 HP can be removed by either an injury over crippling threshold, injury over 1/3 HP or injury caused by a critical hit.

That is, there are 3 variants of this rule, and players choose which one to use. Also this rule is to be applied regardless of which injuries (to what body parts) had reduced current HP to 1/3 HP.

Am I right?
Wave your arms and shout.

Last edited by Erling; 08-17-2018 at 04:31 PM.
Erling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 05:21 PM   #2
Dalzig

Default Re: Several questions about limb injuries

If your group is using the optional Last Wounds rule, there's no player choice. There are three things that further injure limbs below 1/3 HP. If any of them happen, you are injured.
Dalzig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 08:11 PM   #3
Mr_Sandman

Default Re: Several questions about limb injuries

I agree with Dalzig about the last wounds rule. There's no choice, any of the three possibilities result in injury.

I've always interpreted the rule as further injury to an crippled limb should be ignored, whether you're using the accumulated wounds rule or not. Although a literal reading of the rule probably supports the OP's interpretation, I'd rather not allow wounding an already crippled limb to take someone down. If I wanted to get detailed, I'd probably allow attacks that hit a crippled limb to inflict shock penalties, maybe let dismembering attacks do more damage, and perhaps use the veins and arteries hit location rules from Martial Arts to allow the potential for greater damage on hits to crippled limbs.
Mr_Sandman is offline   Reply With Quote