Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-15-2022, 08:53 PM   #41
Agemegos

Default Re: Games that should NEVER Be done in Gurps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Day View Post
One of the fun things about those games is the way dice explode. I don't think it's something that GURPS could easily adapt itself to.
What we need are d-sixes of which the pips are holes drilled to fit small pistol primers….

Decay is inherent in all composite things.
Nod head. Get treat.
Agemegos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2022, 09:40 PM   #42
maximara
On Notice

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenclary View Post
(To take the thread topic more literally, and also be a little spicy.)

Dungeon Fantasy.

I think GURPS can do great at various smash-and-grab-and-fight-stuff-along-the-way style of games (D&D, Shadowrun, and other games come to mind). But I think it's a really bad idea to try to emulate the mechanical tropes of wildly different games --- e.g. building your dungeon crawl around race/class/level.
This I agree with. In fact, the GURPSwiki points out why trying to emulate the mechanics of race/class/level in GURPS is such a bad idea:

"Because of the flexibility in GURPS there is simply no way to convert a class level combo into a point total especially given that D&D has effectively five versions: OD&D, 1e/2e, 3x, 4e, and 5e. It is better to convert concepts than actual raw power."

Take the Classic version of Dia Blackthorn in the context of AD&D1:

Dia's Traps skill (62.5%) is on par with a 8th level Thief and in the areas of Pickpocket ( 83.8%), Lockpicking (90.7%), and Stealth (Move Silently and Hide in Shadows; 95.4%) Dia is slightly better than a 10th thief for Pickpocket, a 14th level thief for Lockpicking, and a 16th level thief for the last two combined.

Hear Noises (a perception roll in GURPS) is so pathetic that a 25pt GURPS character with an IQ 11 is better than a 17th level thief which of course puts Dia with an IQ 12 right off the AD&D1 thief table. Interestingly this 160 pt character (when converted to 4e) is not even to 1st level Thief standards in his climbing ability (83.8% vs 85%).
Help make a digital reference for GURPS by coming to the GURPS wiki and provide some information and links (such as to various Fanmade 4e Bestiaries) . Please, provide more then just a title and a page number.
maximara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2022, 02:13 PM   #43
J. Edward Tremlett

Games whose mechanics are fiendishly simple because that's half the fun of the game.

I'm thinking of Murderhobos here, but there are quite a few others.
It is a terrible thing to fall into the hands of the Living God (Heb. 10:31)

"Or the light that never, never warms" (Boc. 6:55)

Read SPYGOD. Behold my Linked In

Buy my (SJ Games) stuff.
J. Edward Tremlett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2022, 06:33 PM   #44
agentdenton
Banned

Gurps macho women with guns.

If you did it, you'd have to model the top-heavy disadvantage from it. You really don't want that rule canonized in gurps.
agentdenton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2022, 10:42 PM   #45
Donny Brook

GURPS LARP: Chainsaw Juggling

(To be honest, I think I could have stopped after LARP.)
Donny Brook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2022, 12:46 AM   #46
Phantasm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donny Brook View Post
GURPS LARP: Chainsaw Juggling
To be fair, some people juggle geese.... </Wash>

"But mom, I don't wanna go back in the dungeon!"

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Ranoc, a Muskets-and-Magery Renaissance Fantasy Setting
Phantasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2022, 01:22 AM   #47
fdsa1234567890

GURPS 5D Chess with multiverse time travel. (So repeating what someone else said about heavy use of time travel.)

More seriously, my real choice would be any game in which the physics are completely irrelevant to the narrative. My two go-to examples are Avatar The Last Airbender and Star Wars. While I know people have done the latter, and I'm sure people have also at least experimented with the former, I don't think either work because neither setting makes as much sense if you try and add real numbers to the story.

Star Wars especially breaks when you use real numbers, because while you could estimate things like acceleration or firepower figures you wind up with nonsense in which it would have taken Luke mere seconds to circumnavigate the entire Death Star trench based on the fact that ships can reach orbit in less than a minute. Firepower similarly alternates between heavier than a grenade launcher and smaller than real world firearms, while starfighters are either shooting WW2 machine guns or tactical nuclear level firepower depending on the context. While you can try to rationalize this by things like power settings and the dangers of combat maneuvering, it winds up becoming vastly more trouble than it is worth in terms of building a game when compared with the ease of using a more narrative focused system.

It actually reminds me of a comment about how Mass Effect started derailing. It was saying that Mass Effect in the first game was a details first setting, while the second game and beyond is more likely to use drama to justify things rather than starting from good worldbuilding. GURPS is generally at its best when it is used as a details first system.
fdsa1234567890 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2022, 01:57 PM   #48
Phantasm

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdsa1234567890 View Post
More seriously, my real choice would be any game in which the physics are completely irrelevant to the narrative. My two go-to examples are Avatar The Last Airbender and Star Wars. While I know people have done the latter, and I'm sure people have also at least experimented with the former, I don't think either work because neither setting makes as much sense if you try and add real numbers to the story.

Star Wars especially breaks when you use real numbers, because while you could estimate things like acceleration or firepower figures you wind up with nonsense in which it would have taken Luke mere seconds to circumnavigate the entire Death Star trench based on the fact that ships can reach orbit in less than a minute. Firepower similarly alternates between heavier than a grenade launcher and smaller than real world firearms, while starfighters are either shooting WW2 machine guns or tactical nuclear level firepower depending on the context. While you can try to rationalize this by things like power settings and the dangers of combat maneuvering, it winds up becoming vastly more trouble than it is worth in terms of building a game when compared with the ease of using a more narrative focused system.

It actually reminds me of a comment about how Mass Effect started derailing. It was saying that Mass Effect in the first game was a details first setting, while the second game and beyond is more likely to use drama to justify things rather than starting from good worldbuilding. GURPS is generally at its best when it is used as a details first system.
This reeks of One True Way-ism. "You're not trying to make a fully detailed ultra-realistic setting, so you're doing it wrong."

As someone who prefers Action, Space Opera, and Superheroes - all genres which call for Rule of Cool and over simulationism - saying "GURPS should never be used for Rule of Cool" is a patently false claim.

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Old 07-18-2022, 03:04 AM   #49
scc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantasm View Post
This reeks of One True Way-ism. "You're not trying to make a fully detailed ultra-realistic setting, so you're doing it wrong."

As someone who prefers Action, Space Opera, and Superheroes - all genres which call for Rule of Cool and over simulationism - saying "GURPS should never be used for Rule of Cool" is a patently false claim.
Personally I'm convinced that a large chunk of the idea that GURPS can't do Supers is because people come to the table with wildly different ideas for what to make, which have wildly different point costs. GURPS also makes the classic brick very expensive, as it probably should be.
scc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2022, 04:39 AM   #50
Phantasm

Quote:
Originally Posted by scc View Post
Personally I'm convinced that a large chunk of the idea that GURPS can't do Supers is because people come to the table with wildly different ideas for what to make, which have wildly different point costs. GURPS also makes the classic brick very expensive, as it probably should be.
You're not wrong. This is why I went with "X for before powers, powers budget based on concept" in my superhero game. Whether that's 250 pt Action characters or 50 pt average high school student, that depends on the game (f'rex, whether you're going Avengers or Teen Titans).

So you can have the 400 pt blaster alongside the 750 pt. super-normal, 1500 pt brick, or 2500 pt weather manipulator without breaking the game, since they're all built on the same base pre-powers points.

Last edited by Phantasm; 07-23-2022 at 02:39 AM.

Tags
adaptions, meta