Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Car Wars

Old 12-09-2013, 04:02 PM   #1
ElLoboGordo

Default Super-Scale CW in Oklahoma in March

www.twistercon.com is the website for Oklahoma's only dedicated gaming convention, happening next in late March 2014. The schedule is starting to fill in, and I'm bringing 8 or 10 1:24 scale models and running in Super-Scale all day Friday.

This'll be a new step for me; I typically play this on a 35' square piece of floor, but darnit if I'm not getting too old to be down on the floor anymore (among other issues I've found with floor-based play at this scale). So I'm pushing together over 30 tables to create a track 6 feet wide with 25-foot straights. I love that A) this con has the space to let me actually do that (with the track ends on and space to move I'm occupying a 45'x30' space), and B) the convention center has enough tables that I can do this and not rob the rest of the con.

So if you live in the free oil states and you want to come do some x8-scale action, reserve today. :) The rest of the con is likely to fill up with classic tabletop wargaming (like in the Napoleonics vein--this is a slightly older crowd), but there's also the obligatory Warhammer/Warmachine stuff if you're into that, too.

As the date approaches I might even hit the boards here with some design challenges based on my models. I've used the same designs for ten years now, and it might be time to change it up some.

And if you're in flyover country, consider linking into Tornado Alley Game Guild!
ElLoboGordo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 05:05 PM   #2
43Supporter

Default Re: Super-Scale CW in Oklahoma in March

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElLoboGordo View Post
This'll be a new step for me; I typically play this on a 35' square piece of floor, but darnit if I'm not getting too old to be down on the floor anymore (among other issues I've found with floor-based play at this scale).
Suggestion: Get some 4'-5' poles (wood or metal); drill holes in the top-center points of the models; run the poles down into the models; boom -- instant means of moving models without having to bend over. :)

79er

The Jeremy Clarkson Debate Course:
1) I'm Right. 2) You're Wrong. 3) The End.
43Supporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 09:05 AM   #3
nidan71

ELLobo,

I've had a bit of experience running CW tournament games at 3X scale on the table and 12X scale for the floor. I'd like to offer my insight while you are in the planning stage.

At the table, 6 feet wide is about the maximum arena size someone can comfortably reach to the middle (3 feet).

At the scale you are planning (1:24 aka 7.5X rounded up to 8X), the maximum scale width of your track is 9 car lengths. This makes for a very long and narrow track. Is this by design? I've had instances of a very well themed track that made combat almost impossible at certain times, because the track was long and thin. I have found that a more squared off arena is better, or at least a rectangle no thinner than a 2:1 ratio.

You might find a more playable surface on the floor, and have you or your convention invest in the interlocking foam pads for kneeling.

My home convention company has an inventory of them on hand as part of a road theme for other games, and we borrow them to support old knees.

That's my two cents. Have a great convention.

If you're interested in using a great design tool and you have access to MS Excel, drop me a line at curtlindmark@gmail.com and I can send you the MadHat Designer.

Drive offensively.

Curt
nidan71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 09:59 AM   #4
LokRobster

I really hope to make it, OKC is only a few hours away... but I may or may not be travelling. From today's estimate of next year's projects, in late March I could be in Portland, Maine, Pocatello, Idaho, or Portland, Oregon. About equal chances for all three, so it's pretty impossible to commit. :(

Sounds fun though!
Old 12-12-2013, 11:08 PM   #5
fionn320

Lok, if you're in Portland, Oregon that weekend, please consider dropping in to Gamestorm just across the river in Vancouver, Washington. http://www.gamestorm.org/
fionn320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 12:54 AM   #6
43Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fionn320 View Post
Lok, if you're in Portland, Oregon that weekend, please consider dropping in to Gamestorm just across the river in Vancouver, Washington. http://www.gamestorm.org/
Maybe I can get more than one player for my _CW_ event, then.... ;)

79er

The Jeremy Clarkson Debate Course:
1) I'm Right. 2) You're Wrong. 3) The End.
43Supporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 03:26 PM   #7
ElLoboGordo

Man, there will probably only be two CW events in 2014, and they're on the same weekend? Awesome.

And if you're in flyover country, consider linking into Tornado Alley Game Guild!
Old 02-03-2014, 08:10 PM   #8
ElLoboGordo

Update: I've acquired SJG-specific swag! So now my event prizes will include AADA shot glasses (black and gold) and schweet Illuminati dice!

(BTW, SJG's prize people are super easy to work with. Run stuff at your local cons, and ask them for support. Seriously.)

Old 02-10-2014, 11:14 AM   #9
ph423r

I definitely going to try and make it.
ph423r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 08:09 PM   #10
ElLoboGordo

Just a bump to say TwisterCon is about a week out, and there will be Car Wars there. :) Sadly, my '76 Gremlin model has not come together in time for this years' show, but I'll have 8 predesigned cars ready and waiting for anybody who wants to come pull the trigger.

Tags
conventions, super-scale