Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Car Wars

Old 03-04-2020, 02:44 PM   #1
Skexy

Default Bootleggers and J turns

I got to play at Pax and just caught the tail end of the stream today. As I was walking home the other night thinking about the game I played i got to wondering how different things might have gone if I could pull a bootlegger early in the game. Is there a rule for these maneuvers? or do you pretty much have to lose control and fishtail out?
Skexy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 02:03 PM   #2
43Supporter

Default Re: Bootleggers and J turns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skexy View Post
I got to play at Pax and just caught the tail end of the stream today. As I was walking home the other night thinking about the game I played i got to wondering how different things might have gone if I could pull a bootlegger early in the game. Is there a rule for these maneuvers? or do you pretty much have to lose control and fishtail out?
The bootlegger reverse has been in the game since Day One -- p.7 of the Pocket-Box rules, IMSMC.

79er

The Jeremy Clarkson Debate Course:
1) I'm Right. 2) You're Wrong. 3) The End.
43Supporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 05:34 PM   #3
TheAmishStig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skexy View Post
From my experience with 6E, the closest you can get to a Bootlegger is a pair of D4s. The nice thing is, you're not forced to stop cold and re-accelerate again, but the downside is it's killer on the tires and a 1-car-length shift instead of a 1-car-width shift.

Seems like something that'd be ripe for a Driver special ability, so maybe we'll see them back.
MIB Agent #0460
Ogre 134th Battalion

Lancaster, PA
Imgur: https://agent0460.imgur.com/
TheAmishStig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 11:37 AM   #4
Magesmiley

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAmishStig View Post
From my experience with 6E, the closest you can get to a Bootlegger is a pair of D4s. The nice thing is, you're not forced to stop cold and re-accelerate again, but the downside is it's killer on the tires and a 1-car-length shift instead of a 1-car-width shift.

Seems like something that'd be ripe for a Driver special ability, so maybe we'll see them back.
Well... I can think of one other way to do it. And which gets a result much closer to the old effect.

It's effectively a d4 with a 4 point spin out. Trying to land exactly 4 points without getting to 5 is definitely tricky.

The rules state that you must spend control tokens to maintain control, which implies that it's not optional and that you can't apply a lesser result. Which only really leaves ace tokens to be able to adjust the number of S results. Which could even be used to reroll non-S dice to get a higher S result.

An interesting notion in regards to the control token discard might be to let a player deliberately apply a lesser effect than the number of tokens that they were required to discard (i.e. I discarded 3 tokens but only apply the results of 1 of them). Or even to discard additional control tokens to increase the number of S values rolled. (Possibly even paying a premium, such as an extra token to exercise these options). Just a thought. Assuming that the tire damage was still applied, I don't think that this would break things, as the tire damage would add up pretty fast.

Watch your handling and remember to Drive Offensively!

Last edited by Magesmiley; 03-19-2020 at 10:51 AM.
Magesmiley is offline   Reply With Quote