Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Roleplaying in General

Old 03-24-2020, 07:26 PM   #1581
Fred Brackin

Default Re: Memorable Quotes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icelander View Post
s, so maybe that's why Rogue wasn't mentioned. That being said, I don't remember her as being presented as Southern in the movies.
No, she had the accent. Sort of a precursor to the same actress's work as Sookie Stackhouse.
Old 03-25-2020, 11:55 AM   #1582
Icelander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Brackin View Post
No, she had the accent. Sort of a precursor to the same actress's work as Sookie Stackhouse.
Weird that I wouldn't remember that, considering that I've watched objectively inferior media just to see pretty girls speak with Southern accents.

Then again, I've found most superhero movies so aggressively mediocre that I have trouble remembering which of them I've seen and which I haven't. Well, 'trouble' is a bit of an exaggeration, in that my life has literally never been worse in any noticable way because I don't know if I've seen a given superhero movie. It's generally enough to just say 'no' and continue in blissful ignorance.
Old 03-25-2020, 12:14 PM   #1583
Mark Skarr
Forum Pervert
(If you have to ask . . .)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Brackin View Post
Quote:
Weird that I wouldn't remember that, considering that I've watched objectively inferior media just to see pretty girls speak with Southern accents.
To be fair, in X-Men it was neither a good, nor convincing southern accent. The X-Men cartoon from the '90s Rogue, had a much better accent.

And a waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay catchier theme song.
Mark Skarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 03:55 PM   #1584
Phantasm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Skarr View Post
To be fair, in X-Men it was neither a good, nor convincing southern accent. The X-Men cartoon from the '90s Rogue, had a much better accent.

And a waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay catchier theme song.
Just you mentioning it got it stuck in my head! Damn you! :)

Rogue's accent in the 2000 X-Men movie was rather subdued compared to the deep southern drawl she's usually portrayed as having. Not sure if she just needed more voice coaching or if movie!Rogue was meant to be from the Carolinas or Virginia rather than the backwoods of Alabama or Mississippi.

"But mom, I don't wanna go back in the dungeon!"

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Ranoc, a Muskets-and-Magery Renaissance Fantasy Setting
Phantasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 04:00 PM   #1585
Icelander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantasm View Post
Rogue's accent in the 2000 X-Men movie was rather subdued compared to the deep southern drawl she's usually portrayed as having. Not sure if she just needed more voice coaching or if movie!Rogue was meant to be from the Carolinas or Virginia rather than the backwoods of Alabama or Mississippi.
Or, I guess, 2000s Alabama or Mississippi rather than 1970s or earlier.

Regional accents everywhere are flattening, even slowly vanishing, due to mass media.
Old 03-27-2020, 11:19 AM   #1586
Mark Skarr
Forum Pervert
(If you have to ask . . .)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantasm View Post
Just you mentioning it got it stuck in my head! Damn you! :)
Mwa ha, ha ha ha!

My work here is done.
Mark Skarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 08:06 PM   #1587
Icelander

Default It's a Whole New Year

We ended last session just as Lucien Lacoste (PC) had invited Ailsa of the Aes Sith into the home they were having a New Year's celebration at. This is the home of a retired Detective Lieutenant of the local Sheriff's Office and his wife, who have from time to time offered their home as a safe house for fellow officers who have needed to stash a special witness somewhere there is a strong Threshold (Pyramid #3/58: Urban Fantasy 'Safe as Houses') to protect from uninvited supernatural beings and effects.

Just after he invites her in through an open window, but before he opens the door where she has to walk to actually enter, Lucien Lacoste has a rare moment of good sense and enough foresight to actually plan the next few steps. He gives a short speech about the Fair Folk, or at least what his Occultism skill can tell him about beings that have not been seen for centuries, ending with his estimation of how the rules of hospitality will bind their guest as well as them. Then, he tells them this:

Lacoste: "Most important at all. Under no circumstances is anyone to make a deal, pact, contract or agreement of any sort with the Fae."

---

After a formal exchange of guest gifts and considerable talking (about various plot-important, but not necessarily funny, subjects), Lucien Lacoste decides that all this is not contributing toward his awesome party. So he puts on a vinyl record of Motown hits and starts dancing, with commendable enthusiasm, but less expertise.

Lacoste: "Do you see these moves?" [hip thrusts] "Rhythm just comes naturally to me."
GM (rolling dice): "As Lacoste singlehandedly disproves any racist myths about all people of colour being born with innate rhythm, his considerable Carousing skill succeeds in drawing others to the dance floor. Seeing him dance like no one is watching, as indeed everyone tries so very hard to avoid doing, it seems that no one is worried about making a fool of themselves."
Teddy Smith [white ex-Rhodesian]: "As the real African-American of this party; I shall endeavour to show you how it is done."

Smith then proceeds to succeed by 5 against his default Dancing skill and put on a display inspired by Shona tribal dances. Soon, everyone is dancing, except, ironically, the African-American DUSM Shanna Rodgers and DUSM Frank Coleman, of the United States Marshals Service, who still remember that they are on duty, as a protective detail, for the witness who is dancing seductively next to Teddy Smith.

As the minutes pass and the good times roll, eventually, Shanna Rodgers says: "[Fornicate] it!" and drags her fellow Deputy Marshal out of his chair to dance.

Lacoste (as everyone dances): "Yes, yes, good. Give in to your feelings!"

Then Lacoste walks around, distributing the party hats he bought last session.

GM (OOC, with dread): "Do you put one on Ailsa of the Aes Sith, the first representative of the Fair Folk seen on Earth for centuries, if not millennia?"
Lacoste (OOC): "Uh, duh!"
GM (OOC): "Is it a..."
Lacoste (OOC): "Crown? Obviously. She's a pretty fairy princess."
GM (OOC): "Somehow, the world does not end. Ailsa beams her thanks for her new crown." [Sigh] "Because, apparently, the Aes Sith have the same fashion sense as pre-teen girls and Lucien Lacoste, all 300 pounds of brutal, rugged party animal that he is."
Lacoste (OOC): "Awesome. My party hat is a purplish-pink top hat, with more glitter than any other party hat."
GM (OOC): "Of course it is."

---

Ailsa of the Aes Sith seems very taken with Julian 'Dane' Winding on the dance floor, which doesn't really surprise anyone, because, as Lacoste made a point of mentioning (several times, actually), the man is extremely handsome. Tall, blond and built like the cover of a romance novel. He can even dance, although that might be the supernatural grace of his dance partner, which would make anyone look good.

About the only thing she doesn't seem to like about Dane is the iron amulet around his neck. He's not sure if it's only the fact that it is, well, iron, or if it also bothers her that it is a Thor's Hammer and his holy symbol, but, in any case, her body seems to want to be much closer to him, but every time she almost touches the iron amulet, she pulls away.

Ailsa: "That horrible thing around your neck, it hurts me. Can you take it off? For me?"
Dane (OOC): "That really doesn't seem like a good idea."
Lacoste (OOC): "This is a public service announcement: Don't stick your dick in crazy."
Smith (OOC): "Do we even know that she's crazy?"
Lacoste (OOC): "Have you seen how hot she is?"
Everyone (OOC): [Nodding and making voices of agreement]

So Dane Winding, with immaculate courtesy, explains about his religious scruples that prevent him from taking the amulet off. While he is perfectly charming, it is clear that he deeply hurt Ailsa with what she considers to be a personal rejection. After debating with himself whether he should comfort her, Dane ends up excusing himself a short time later, with considerably less sangfroid, ostensibly to look after his men on perimeter security.

Lacoste (OOC): "Good job, pretty boy. Now you made her sad."
Dane (OOC): "What the hell? You're the one who said 'Don't stick your dick in crazy.'"
Lacoste: "I didn't say you had to make that sentiment so clear to her."

---

Even later, Gisella Cortéz, the amnesiac, child-like, innocent, sweet former cult sorceress, who is about thirty biologically, but acts somewhere between 7-17, depending, and who is technically the witness in US Marshal custody, happens to mention to Teddy Smith that the nice fairy lady looks just like the poster in 'her' room.

'Her' room is actually the room she's been given to stay in, which is usually used as a guest room for two six-year-old girls, grandchildren of the couple who own the house. As she says this, she's talking with Smith, alone, in a different room than the rest of the party, holding a gin and tonic (which she makes a face every time she sips), leaning as close to him as possible and looking into his eyes with open adoration.

Teddy Smith: "Why don't you show me that poster up in your room?"

They then go up to her room, holding hands. Lucien Lacoste witnesses this as he comes into the room, but the player honestly doesn't know know whether Smith's player is trying to solve some kind of in-game mystery or if he's trying to seduce the naive amnesiac who seems to have imprinted on him like a baby duck.

Lacoste (OOC): "Can I tell with Body Language if he really means that he wants to look at the poster and I should join them for vital clues?"
GM (rolling dice): "Smith is very hard to read and you get no sense at all about it. Blind people in the next county can tell that Gisella absolutely believes that there were loud and clear air quotes around that 'show me the poster', though. And that she's thrilled about it."
Lacoste (indulgently): "You crazy kids! I'll not get in your way, then."
Teddy Smith (OOC, realizing): "Wait, what?"
Lacoste: "No, no. She's going to 'show you her room'. I'm clearly not needed here."
Smith (OOC): "I hate him so much."

---

Meanwhile, Lacoste has been hatching a plan, while also simultaneously trying to avoid offending Ailsa of the Aes Sith, making DUSM Natalie Garza jealous by too obviously displaying interest in the supernaturally good-looking Fae or doing anything that reveals to Garza's co-workers that they have a very inappropriate workplace romance going on (they're serving on the same task force).

While he can maintain a rapid patter of entertaining and witty banter going on (with a critical success of Fast-Talk), he has some success, but when Ailsa places her hand flirtatiously on one arm and Garza responds by enveloping his other arm possessively, Lacoste flees the room.

Lacoste (without a trace of conviction): "Oh, look! I'm being called away for something super important!"
GM: "Really? You're actually good at Fast-Talk."
Lacoste (OOC): "Let's just not roll her Sex Appeal and then my Fast-Talk with penalties and instead agree that this is exactly what happens."
GM: "I'll allow it."

While alone in the next room, Lacoste finalizes his plan. Garza joins him in the dining room and they have a conversation about feelings that wasn't funny at all, but turned out okay, but after that, we move to a part with more quotes. Because Lacoste decides to bound upstairs, to confer with his best friend, Teddy Smith, about his brilliant plan. He knocks loudly and just at that moment, he remembers that the last time he saw Teddy, he was going off, hand in hand, with Gisella to 'see her room'.

Lacoste (OOC): "They call me Lucien 'The Cockblocker' Lacoste."

Last edited by Icelander; 03-28-2020 at 08:10 PM.
Icelander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 08:07 PM   #1588
Icelander

Default Pimpin' Ain't Easy

However...

Gisella had showed Teddy Smith the poster she was talking about. It was a Frozen poster and she pointed to Elsa, the Disney Princess, who was indeed wearing the same sort of dress and hairstyle as Ailsa of the Aes Sith. Unfortunately, Teddy Smith spent the years of 1995-2018 lost in the Bermuda triangle and Gisella is, as previously mentioned, memory-challenged, so they are two of the only people in the world who do not even have the faintest idea about anything that might happen in this movie.

Oh, and obviously, while Smith was standing close to her looking at the poster, Gisella turned around and with adolescent awkwardness tried to kiss him.

About half an hour ensued of Teddy Smith gently letting down Gisella without hurting her feelings, which was impossible, given that she has the emotional maturity of a child and has no negative memories at all, so no way to contextualize rejection and disappointment. He managed to convince her that he doesn't want to take advantage of her while she doesn't have her memories and that this doesn't mean that he cares for her any less, so she eventually stops crying.

So, when Teddy Smith hears knocking and Lacoste calling loudly for him (Lacoste does everything loudly), his player turns to the GM.

Smith (OOC): "What's Gisella's state?"
[beat]
Smith (OOC): "No, damn it, not her state of dress! I mean is she okay? Can I let anyone in?"
GM: "She looks like a drowned raccoon from crying all over her makeup, but she seems to be calmer now."
Smith (OOC to Lacoste's player): "Can you send Garza with her to do... whatever, so she doesn't have to hear whatever no doubt upsetting plan you are about to present?"
Lacoste: "Natalie, dear, why don't you take Gisella to the bathroom and help her fix her makeup?"

Tough as nails federal agent DUSM Natalie Garza gives Lacoste a disbelieving look, snorts angrily, but takes the sniffling Gisella to the bathroom. This is fortunate, because Lacoste can't wait to present his plan.

Lacoste [giddily drunk]: "Ok, Teddy, I could tell when we were talking about the Cold Ones, she was upset for personal reasons. I think she's their enemy. She said that she liked the world, because it was vibrant and alive and wonderful. She's a good fae!"
Teddy Smith: "She didn't actually say anything about the sort of life and vibrancy that appealed to her. It could be viruses or beetles she likes, not humans."
Lacoste (scoffing): "Bah, she likes us, I could tell! And I've got a plan! She's the enemy of the Cold Ones and so are we. And... the Enemy of my Enemy is... my Friend! We can make an allegiance!"
Smith: "What is literally the only rule you told me to keep in mind?"
Lacoste [frowning in thought]: "Don't make any deals with the fae?"
Smith: "And what do we call forming an allegiance with them?"
[...]
Lacoste: "Awesome?"

Smith: "Well, at least you're discussing this first."
Lacoste: "You're our resident expert on eldritch horrors. I wouldn't make a deal with the fae without you!"

---

After much plot-relevant talking...

Edit: Actually, I skipped a few good lines:

Lacoste (OOC): "So, I tell the story, only leaving out Gisella and Kessler and other stuff like that."
Smith (OOC): "Won't that result in a story that completely leaves out why we were there, on a hazardous quest for this frozen unearthly abomination in his lair?"
Lacoste (OOC): "No, no, she'll get that we were doing that because of how awesome we are."
Smith (OOC): "Heroes gotta hero."
Lacoste (OOC): "Ok, I want it to be clear that I'm telling this story like we're around a campfire and I'm Conan telling stories of his past glories. Wait, [faeces], that wasn't Conan, that was that old wizard dude. Anyway, in my story time, I'm both Conan and that old wizard dude. And it's awesome!"
GM (rolling dice): "Indeed. You actually do have Public Speaking and you succeed by 7."
Lacoste (OOC): "And you might be thinking, does he leave out the part where he rode the Yeti? No, bitch, that's the best part! Half of my story is about when I rode the Yeti!"

---

Lacoste and Smith must find an appropriate gift to present to Ailsa, after she gave them something of great value and owing a fae something sounds like a very bad idea. Dane Winding, the PC, has returned and is sitting with them at a kitchen table, along with Ailsa herself, but Dane's player has turned off the mike on his computer, because he's on the phone.

Smith (OOC): "What do you give an ancient fae of great power?"
Lacoste (OOC): "She seemed to want Dane..."
Smith (OOC): "She wouldn't even have to keep him. Just borrow him for a few centuries."
Lacoste (OOC): "Would giving her a person be slavery? As a person of color when it suits me*, I'm opposed to slavery on principle."
Smith (OOC): "No, man, she'd give him back. It's indentured servitude, at worst."
Lacoste (OOC): "Oooh, if I'm paying in sweet, sexy love, from someone else, I'm basically pimpin'. And my glittery purple-pink top hat gives me at least a +1 bonus to pimpin'!"

*He has the Perk Passing Appearance and is of vaguely ambiguous ethnicity.

Last edited by Icelander; 03-28-2020 at 08:39 PM.
Old 03-29-2020, 02:27 AM   #1589
Irish Wolf

Default Re: Pimpin' Ain't Easy

Quote:
"...She's the enemy of the Cold Ones and so are we. And... the Enemy of my Enemy is... my Friend!"
Maxim 29: The enemy of my enemy is my enemy's enemy. No more. No less.

If you break the laws of God, you go to Hell.

If you break the laws of Physics, you go to Sweden and receive a Nobel Prize.
Irish Wolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 12:21 PM   #1590
Icelander

Default Re: Pimpin' Ain't Easy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Wolf View Post
Maxim 29: The enemy of my enemy is my enemy's enemy. No more. No less.
Ah, but you see, the PC, to match his player, has got a PhD in Leaping to Conclusions, followed by a Research Fellowship at the Institute of Unwarranted Assumptions and a stint at the UN High Jump Commission of Certainty in Spite of Insufficient Data.

In game terms, he has Impulsive, On the Edge, high IQ, extreme Talents in his area of expertise and Intuition (granted by spirits). He also has Overconfidence, so he's always absolutely certain of his flashes of insight, regardless of the complete lack of evidence.

Last edited by Icelander; 03-29-2020 at 12:25 PM.

Tags
actual play, funny