Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > In Nomine

Old 11-23-2010, 06:32 PM   #11
Andygal

Default Re: absolute and relative Word strength

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
People are still persecuted for witchcraft in Sub-Saharan Africa, I suspect that drought is probably as good enough an excuse for a witch-hunt as any.
Yes, but witch hunts really aren't the same thing.
Old 11-23-2010, 06:46 PM   #12
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andygal View Post
It probably depends on how you define "human sacrifice". Since pacifists often draw parallels to organized warfare, I'd say the concept is pretty broad. Something that the Demon of Human Sacrifice probably encourages.

That's something that's pretty interesting to me overall about the memetic theater of the War, as words change in meaning Words can wax and wane. Therefore a lot of the War seems to be about promoting certain concepts or altering the public perception of them.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 06:49 PM   #13
malloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andygal View Post
And actually, drought is probably a very rare excuse for a witch hunt. I'd actually be pretty suprised if somebody could produce a clear cut example. In most religious systems witches inflict sickness, and it's a quite personal attack, typically involving the witches and/or victim's soul. Cursing an entire community with drought would be quite out of pattern.

Taboo violations can sometimes do something to a whole society, but that isn't the same thing. But witchcraft? Well, maybe occassionally where a witch has targeted a sacred king and his illness is reflecting in the land, but it's definitely unusual.
Old 11-23-2010, 08:42 PM   #14
JCD

Let me clarify for the pendantic. <Sigh>

Up to about 70 years ago, Agriculture was an enormously important concept on a very personal level to pretty much everyone. With the advent of the McCormick reaper, fewer and fewer people needed to be involved in it in the Western world (and increasingly in other areas, though rice production seems to resist mechanization).

How important? So much so that there were grand sacrifices to ensure the harvest, including Aztec and other sacricial ceremonies.

Please excus my inept segue.
JCD is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
word-bound