Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-24-2017, 12:24 AM   #1
userpay

Default Monster Hunter (video game) Style Character?

So had a thought to perhaps make a character based off of the Monster Hunter series for a world hopping game however my experience in GURPS so far has been limited to Ultratech and High Tech and I'm having trouble wading through the rest of the books. For those that aren't familiar with MH it's essentially a game of fighting huge monsters, gathering materials from said monsters and the environment, and crafting weapons and armor out of said parts. Notably the issue I'm having is replicating the weapons (which are oversized in most cases) and the character itself considering that the people from MH seem super human if you take the 'it's a game' aspect out of the equation. My friends and I have joked that the setting is actually post apoc and all the people are nanite enhanced beings generations separated from the event. Anyway I'll do basic details about different aspects of what I'm doing. I'm hoping that I can stay competitive with a Ultra Tech TL9 character with 200 points and -100 drawbacks.

Character (effectively a super human/warrior?)
Obviously a mixture of high str and lifting given how big the weapons are.
I've been told that there's a perk for using bigger weapons than normal so that may be something to spend points on.
One amusing quirk is that no matter how far you fall you don't take fall damage.
May take gigantism, in game the people don't seem bigger than normal but compared to 'normals' who knows.
Relatedly may take things like increased consumption if I run with the idea that they really are nanite enhanced.
Not sure how to represent crafting, especially for ammo, though I assume gadgeteer/gizmo may work? I'd probably mostly use crafting for maintaining what I start with + ammo rather than making new weapons and armor.
Probably would give them a climb speed and something for grappling given how well they climb much less mount and hold onto a large creature. Maybe some sort of hookshot style grappling hook(?) as well given the recent next game reveal.
Possibly some innate DR and high HT to represent their high durability.

Greatsword
I assume using a greatsword at least two SM higher than the character may be what I'm looking for? Bigger? Smaller? For all intents it is a little longer than the character (handle tends to retract when not in use) and almost as wide as one.
With sufficiently big weapons is there a way to use them like a shield?
How does one create 'rider effects' (ie does fire damage ect) for melee weapons?

Bowgun
Off the top of my head, again limited to my experience with High Tech and Ultra Tech, the closest approximation I know of is the payload rifle. Is there anything else that effectively acts as a mini cannon and uses a variety of ammo types? Suggestions on making a custom one with the different ammo types in MH as consideration?
I'm curious how crafting ammo would work especially since crafting in MH tends to be with seemingly random items.
Doubly curious about specialty ammo similar to MH though UT alone does cover at least a chunk of them (similar issue as greatsword I suppose with creating 'rider effects', could also apply to the bowgun itself to).

Armor
Might run with normal armor but was curious about armor that 'enchances' the character beyond battlesuits. Covered by 'magical' armor with the effects being innate to the material perhaps? What would be a good starting point for that? 'Magical' stuff could cover a good chunk of what I need and my alternative character that I might make instead for this game would be a mage anyway.

Bonus Sample Videos
Honest Game Trailers
Great Sword
Bowgun
userpay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 08:02 AM   #2
zoncxs

Default Re: Monster Hunter (video game) Style Character?

Ok! This is up my alley. I love the series and even created a MH template! Buuut I think I deleted it a long time ago.

First, You don't really need to have crazy high stats, I managed to recreate a few wyverns for a game a couple of years ago (yian Kut-ku) and didn't need to give it ST in the hundreds. So a character can have ST between 10-20 and still work. Depending on the weapon.

The perk is called "Huge Weapons" and two different version can be taken twice, they can be found in Power-Ups 2 pdf. Take both twice.

The falling thing I would leave out, BUT! take Cat fall advantage to actually help and a level or 2 of super jump as well (Vertical only).

You could and maybe should take Giantism.

In the game you never craft anything, you give the material to someone else to craft for you, that gives a reason to take an ally!

Super climbing advantage is a must! You can also give the the climbing line perk and swinging perk and Brachiator advantage.

High HT and maybe a few levels of DR with tough skin is good too, as well as Fit! (very Fit!)

There are rules for creating oversized weapons in Low Tech companion 2.
zoncxs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 09:34 AM   #3
userpay

Default Re: Monster Hunter (video game) Style Character?

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoncxs View Post
Ok! This is up my alley. I love the series and even created a MH template! Buuut I think I deleted it a long time ago.

First, You don't really need to have crazy high stats, I managed to recreate a few wyverns for a game a couple of years ago (yian Kut-ku) and didn't need to give it ST in the hundreds. So a character can have ST between 10-20 and still work. Depending on the weapon.

The perk is called "Huge Weapons" and two different version can be taken twice, they can be found in Power-Ups 2 pdf. Take both twice.

The falling thing I would leave out, BUT! take Cat fall advantage to actually help and a level or 2 of super jump as well (Vertical only).

You could and maybe should take Giantism.

In the game you never craft anything, you give the material to someone else to craft for you, that gives a reason to take an ally!

Super climbing advantage is a must! You can also give the the climbing line perk and swinging perk and Brachiator advantage.

High HT and maybe a few levels of DR with tough skin is good too, as well as Fit! (very Fit!)

There are rules for creating oversized weapons in Low Tech companion 2.
Excellent! I will look into those if I've got the books or perhaps ask around the game group to see if someone has them.

On crafting however it's true you don't craft the weapons and armor yourself but ammo and supplies are. Especially ammo.
userpay is offline   Reply With Quote