Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > In Nomine

Old 10-29-2013, 08:53 PM   #1
Rowan

Default Working towards a 'Word'. Need Advice.

So, let's say that I'm got a player that wants to play, and their long term goal is to work their angel towards having their own word. They want to eventually work towards becoming the Angel of Soul-Mates. Basically, in addition to working for his superior and helping out his fellows in putting down demons, stopping their plots, and whatever else is needed in the campaign .. they sort of want their special work to be .. helping humans find their soul-mates. Essentially they want to be a match maker, and help people find the people they are supposed to be with.

Now to me, this sort of sounds like they should be working for Yves. What with the whole Fate thing he's involved with. I'm also not entirely sure what choir that sort of work might fit. I'm leaning toward suggesting Cherubim or Mercurian?

Are their any attunements Servitor or otherwise, or Songs for that matter, that this player might pick to help with their work of finding soul mates and helping them get together?

Any help's appreciated, thanks. :)
Old 10-29-2013, 09:35 PM   #2
Rocket Man
Petitioner: Word of IN Filk

Default Re: Working towards a 'Word'. Need Advice.

Some possible Superiors:

*Yves, of course, is the obvious one and probably the first choice.
*Novalis, Archangel of Flowers, tends to cover a lot of the "love and joy" aspects since Andre Fell, and this could be described as "blossoming love."
*I'm away from my books, but I believe Ofanim of Khalid, Archangel of Faith, have a "matchmaker" attunement of sorts. (Khalid is in Superiors 3.) Even if you don't put the Word under Faith, the ability could be useful for reference.
*David, the Archangel of Stone, is the dark horse here. He's all about creating communities and bonds between people, and this is one of the most fundamental bonds there is. (He's also about creating strong individuals, of course, so each lover might face some pretty intense tests to prove their worth!)

Author: "What Doesn't Kill Me Makes Me Stronger"

Last edited by Rocket Man; 10-29-2013 at 09:38 PM.
Rocket Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 01:17 PM   #3
johndallman
Night Watchman

As for the right Choir to be, most of the Choirs could probably do it, but the style and interpretation of the word would be shaped by this. A Mercurian would provide the most "human" version; a Seraph or Cherub might be able to use their resonance to discover soulmates; an Offanite would be able to find the way from one to the other, and so on.
johndallman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 02:17 PM   #4
Rocket Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndallman View Post
As for the right Choir to be, most of the Choirs could probably do it, but the style and interpretation of the word would be shaped by this. A Mercurian would provide the most "human" version; a Seraph or Cherub might be able to use their resonance to discover soulmates; an Offanite would be able to find the way from one to the other, and so on.
And an Elohite would be able to see which couple would be objectively best for each other.

Old 10-30-2013, 02:58 PM   #5
Rowan

I didn't realize that an Angel's resonance could be so wiggly. Then I read the Angelic Player's guide under other uses of Resonance. Looks like you're allowed to get creative with it. Right now, the player seems to be leaning towards Cherubim after they read that sophisticated uses of resonance can tell the Cherub other things about the person. I think it's reasonable to assume one of the other things might be ... who this person's soul mate might be. Might work like feeling a tug between the charge and the soulmate, and being able to follow it that way?

does that sound like a reasonable use of a Cherubim's resonance?
Old 10-30-2013, 06:21 PM   #6
johndallman
Night Watchman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowan View Post
does that sound like a reasonable use of a Cherubim's resonance?
It sounds like a reasonable step on the way to acquiring the Word, but I doubt just any Cherub can seek soulmates. You'd have to develop it. Start as a Cherub of an appropriate Superior, work on this kind of case, ask your superior to help you with it, and in a while you'll be getting there.
johndallman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 07:26 AM   #7
alexondria

And for a very outside possibility you could go with Gabriel. The creative generative aspect of her word that she's almost completely abandoned at this point could work well.

OOOH or Eli IST someone.

Last edited by alexondria; 10-31-2013 at 07:30 AM.
alexondria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 03:07 PM   #8
Rocket Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexondria View Post
And for a very outside possibility you could go with Gabriel. The creative generative aspect of her word that she's almost completely abandoned at this point could work well.
Hmmm ... there is a reason they talk about the Fires of passion.

Old 11-01-2013, 10:01 AM   #9
ISNorden

It's a shame you aren't playing in my campaign; I've used a new Archangel of Love (adapted from a fansite), who accepted Andrealphus' former Word during medieval times. Amaré (a Mercurian) is eager to help others find soulmates, so she'd be the one to sponsor that Word if your GM were using her! 0:-)
Old 11-01-2013, 10:04 AM   #10
Rocket Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISNorden View Post
It's a shame you aren't playing in my campaign; I've used a new Archangel of Love (adapted from a fansite), who accepted Andrealphus' former Word during medieval times. Amaré (a Mercurian) is eager to help others find soulmates, so she'd be the one to sponsor that Word if your GM were using her! 0:-)
When you need a true Love,
Blessed by Heaven above,
That's Amare'!

Tags
tips, word-bound