Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin 101

Old 12-12-2012, 11:29 AM   #1
gwtwins

Default Couple Questions from a Newb

Hello everyone. I want to start by saying that this forum has been a great help so far in learning rules for different situations.

I have a few questions if its not too much trouble. I know I saw the answers to a couple of these somewhere on this forum but I can not seem to find what thread I saw them in.

Here goes:

1) Discarding a race/class card. when you discard a race or class because you do not want to be it anymore can you just discard it or must you give it as charity or trade it? During combat do the same rules apply?

2) When discarding a race during combat can you play another race card immediately or do you have to wait until the combat is over.

3) This one is confusing I see mixed answers. One shot items. Can these be carried? I have seen a thread that said you can carry them on the table (to avoid charity) and play them when in combat then I saw another thread that stated you can not carry one shot items they have to be in your hand or played to get rid of them. Which is correct??

4) When giving charity can you give a card from your hand or must it be from the table?

Sorry for the long questions.
gwtwins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 11:42 AM   #2
Enzzo

Default Re: Couple Questions from a Newb

1. Per the rules, you can discard your current (in-play) Race or Class at any time, for any reason, even in combat. When you do, it just goes to the discard pile. You may NOT trade it. You may NOT give it as charity (see #4 below).

2. Yes, you can play another race immediately as long as it is your turn.

3. You can carry one-shot items on the table. Note that an Item has to have a value in Gold Pieces (or say No Value). There are treasure cards (such as GUALs, Midnight Munchkin Madness and Feline Intervention) that are one-shot cards but are not Items because they have no Gold Piece value. These cards must be held in your hand until played; you cannot carry them on the table.

4. It must be from your hand. Only give charity at the end of your turn, during the Charity phase, if you have more than 5 cards in hand, and only give enough cards to bring your hand size down to 5. :)

Also this thread might be of interest, as it contains the answers to many of these questions, and others :)
Enzzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 12:10 PM   #3
gwtwins

Thanks for such a quick response.

One more follow up if its not too much trouble.

So any card can be carries as long as it has a value on it our says "no value" got it.

Can you give a race or class card from your hand has charity if you are over 5 cards?
Old 12-12-2012, 12:29 PM   #4
wanderingmosaic

Quote:
Can you give a race or class card from your hand has charity if you are over 5 cards?
It's a card in your hand. So there isn't any restriction on giving it away for charity. It's one of my favorite kinds of charity. Giving away a race/class card to someone who has no intention of using it, thus allowing me to keep all of the good stuff in my hand (wandering monsters, enhancers, etc).
wanderingmosaic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 12:57 PM   #5
Clipper

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwtwins View Post
Thanks for such a quick response.

One more follow up if its not too much trouble.

So any card can be carries as long as it has a value on it our says "no value" got it.
Note that there are a few exceptions, based on an Item's other types, though. You can usually only carry one Big Item at a time, for example. You can also usually only have one Steed Item and one Ship Item. You can't put a Steed Enhancer or any other type of Item Enhancer (those Item cards that say to play them on another Item) that is itself an Item into play by itself. I think that covers all the major exceptions (others would be clear from the card text on the card itself).

Quote:
If you have over 5 cards in your hand, then any card in your hand qualifies for Charity, be it a Door, Treasure, Fairy Dust, Spell or any other type of card. I can't think of any exceptions at all to this one.
Old 12-12-2012, 01:27 PM   #6
gwtwins

Quote:
If you have over 5 cards in your hand, then any card in your hand qualifies for Charity, be it a Door, Treasure, Fairy Dust, Spell or any other type of card. I can't think of any exceptions at all to this one.
So you can give a monster as charity? I thought I read somewhere here that you couldn't give another player a monster card
Old 12-12-2012, 01:54 PM   #7
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor

Normally, you cannot give Class, Race, Curse, or monster cards (or ANYTHING except Items in play) to another player. However, Charity is an exception -- you're giving away extra cards, without regard to what kind of cards they are.

Let people like what they like. Don't be a gamer hater.

#PlayMunchkin on social media: Twitter || Facebook || Instagram || YouTube
Follow us on Kickstarter: Steve Jackson Games and Warehouse 23
Andrew Hackard is offline   Reply With Quote