Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > In Nomine

Old 11-03-2013, 07:15 AM   #11
Whitelaughter

Default Re: Working towards a 'Word'. Need Advice.

Politics means that multiple Superiors will think that the Word should serve them. Opposing Superiors!
David - unity. Blandine - they are each other's dream. Laurence feels that it fits under his angel of Chivalry. Michael wants to know whether it can be forever if unless they will fight to defend each other. And so on, and so forth.

Which works depends on the how the PC intends to interpret the Word. And since getting a Word requires the Seraphim Council approving it, ticking off any of the Superiors is a bad idea.

Meanwhile, Hell will also have 'opinions'. Expect Kronos to have several Servitors going mad with the Bad Company attunement, looking for couples who are damning each other(or will be) and throwing them into the path of the angel. Beleth still has the Dream Joining attunement.

As a GM, be very definite that there is only one way to handle this...but make it a different way depending on which Superior they are talking to. If a Word was easy, everyone would have one!
Whitelaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 04:19 PM   #12
Matthias Wasser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitelaughter View Post
Politics means that multiple Superiors will think that the Word should serve them. Opposing Superiors!
David - unity. Blandine - they are each other's dream. Laurence feels that it fits under his angel of Chivalry. Michael wants to know whether it can be forever if unless they will fight to defend each other. And so on, and so forth.

Which works depends on the how the PC intends to interpret the Word. And since getting a Word requires the Seraphim Council approving it, ticking off any of the Superiors is a bad idea.
One way to play this is as you suggest: lots of different Archangelates want different things, so you've got to engage in a balancing act to be all things to be all people.

Another way is: different Archangelates want different things, so they're sponsoring their own candidates. Are Soulmates going to be about wild crazy love, or optimal online dating algorithms, or learning to grow and love and endure in an arranged marriage, or...? Go out and prove that your ideology works better!

Of course, these are mixable (you have a few clear rivals, and have a few swing votes that you need to balance.)

Admittedly the second sort of competition is more interestingly interactive in the Infernal case.
Matthias Wasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 06:20 PM   #13
cptbutton

Digressing on soulmates, I wonder if the trick of using a double suicide as a solution to forbidden love works. It is supposed to result in you reincarnating next door to each other or something.

Maybe the Word of Soulmates gives you a resonance to see the Red String of Fate.
cptbutton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 09:12 AM   #14
JCurwen3

Quote:
Originally Posted by cptbutton View Post
Digressing on soulmates, I wonder if the trick of using a double suicide as a solution to forbidden love works. It is supposed to result in you reincarnating next door to each other or something.
Ah, maybe that's why that whole boy / girl next door attraction thing exists! ;-)
Old 11-11-2013, 04:02 AM   #15
Whitelaughter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cptbutton View Post
Balseraphs of Death swear solemnly that it does....
Whitelaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 10:52 AM   #16
Matthias Wasser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitelaughter View Post
Balseraphs of Death swear solemnly that it does....
If so, that strikes me as a classic case of Balseraphic self-sabotage, since any future double suicides they bring to fruition will function as a form of encouraging life.
Old 11-11-2013, 03:30 PM   #17
William

Nah, I think "convince somebody that doing something lethal is actually awesome" doesn't change the fact that the act itself is lethal.

Suppose somebody brings me a photo of my Vessel from 60 years ago, I look exactly the same, and I convince him that I have a recipe for a potion of eternal youth. I give it to him, he brews it up, he drinks it, and he dies because it's pure insta-death poison. This was definitely not "encouraging life."
William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 04:14 PM   #18
Matthias Wasser

Whether you believe your own claim seems awfully decisive here. Balseraphs do.
Old 11-12-2013, 07:21 AM   #19
robkelk
Untitled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthias Wasser View Post
If so, that strikes me as a classic case of Balseraphic self-sabotage, since any future double suicides they bring to fruition will function as a form of encouraging life.
If the talking apes haven't met their Fates yet - or, worse, their Destinies - they're probably going to reincarnate anyway. If I tell them about "reincarnating together," then they'll die now!

Or so says the Balseraphs of Death, avoiding Dissonance.
Deming (New Mexico) Headlight, 6 January 1950
No longer reading these forums regularly.
robkelk is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tips, word-bound