Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 12-17-2016, 11:23 PM   #1
Jaware

Default Ultra tech proximity rounds.

I was curious how ultratech proximity rounds work. I know it says minimum of 40 meters minimum. I also know it says it does a cone attack from the shrapnal etc.

my question is can somone break down the usage of it damage wise down for me.

also, internal explosions count for 3x wounding modifier. But what about shrapnal? And how does it work for ripping out of people?

could somone clarify for me?

for example. 25mm HE rounds set for proximity would blow for 4d cr ex damage and 1d+1 fragmentation. I assume that means for about 7 yard cone of possible shrapnal hits.unless fired from an airburt.

My next question is simple, but could you make shrapnal woth an armor divisor? Like say superfine or hyperdense fragments?

for example, armor piercing hardcore explosive rounds, being shot into someone through their armor. When it explodes they do 3x damage for the cr ex damage. And 1 fragment is guaranteed to hit. Roll for the rest against skill 15 every 3 is another hit. But how does that work inside of someone?

Last edited by Jaware; 12-18-2016 at 12:59 AM. Reason: provided examples
Jaware is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 11:15 AM   #2
The_Ryujin

Default Re: Ultra tech proximity rounds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaware View Post
I was curious how ultratech proximity rounds work. I know it says minimum of 40 meters minimum. I also know it says it does a cone attack from the shrapnal etc.

my question is can somone break down the usage of it damage wise down for me.
Ok, 40 yards is the minimum safe arming distance for the weapons fuse in Airburst mode. This is the minimum distance the shell its self has to move before going boom.

You roll to hit like normal with the +4 for targeting an area rather then a point target. When it goes off you can choose if it attacks in a forward (anti-air mode) or downward direction (anti-ground mode). You ignore the shells crushing explosive damage, it's assumed that it goes off far enough away that the blast doesn't matter, and instead just roll to see if anything is hit by the fragments as normal.

Example: A TL9 Viper 64mm missile armed with a 64mm HE warhead doing 8d×2 cr ex [3d] is fired at an incoming attack VTOL that is 130 yards away in air-burst mode. The missile has a effective skill of 17, base skill of 13 with +4 for being in air-burst mode, and with a roll of 12 hits. The missiles 8d×2 cr ex damage is ignored and instead attacked only by its fragmentation damage of [3d]. This is against a base skill of 15 modified by range, since this is a direct hit now range modifiers apply. Another 12 is rolled which is a MOS of 3, that means that the VTOL is hit with two fragments. 3d is rolled twice, doing 15 and 11 points of cutting damage respectively.

Quote:
also, internal explosions count for 3x wounding modifier. But what about shrapnal? And how does it work for ripping out of people?
Unfortunately, as far as I can tell RAW has not answer for this one but I would rule that the target gets auto hit by a fragment for 3× normal damage as for an internal explosion to represent all the fragments going off inside the target. I would then roll to see if any additional fragments hit and give each extra one that does the same 3×.

As for the ripping out question, I'm not sure I understand the context. Some clarification would help.

Quote:
could somone clarify for me?

for example. 25mm HE rounds set for proximity would blow for 4d cr ex damage and 1d+1 fragmentation. I assume that means for about 7 yard cone of possible shrapnal hits.unless fired from an airburt.
Ignore the cone reference, it's just "fluff" and has no game effect. Just treat the fragments as normal.

Quote:
My next question is simple, but could you make shrapnal woth an armor divisor? Like say superfine or hyperdense fragments?
By RAW, no, but I would double the warheads cost for a hyberdense warhead and give the fragments an (5) AD.

Quote:
for example, armor piercing hardcore explosive rounds, being shot into someone through their armor. When it explodes they do 3x damage for the cr ex damage. And 1 fragment is guaranteed to hit. Roll for the rest against skill 15 every 3 is another hit. But how does that work inside of someone?
See my above reply. I wold like to see an office ruling on this as well.

Normies: Man! The government is filled with liars and thieves! Me: Well yeah, here's what they're lying about, what they're stealing from you, and who's doing it. Normies: Rolls eyes Shut up conspiracy theorist Me: >.>
The_Ryujin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 11:19 PM   #3
Jaware

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Ryujin View Post
Ok, 40 yards is the minimum safe arming distance for the weapons fuse in Airburst mode. This is the minimum distance the shell its self has to move before going boom.

You roll to hit like normal with the +4 for targeting an area rather then a point target. When it goes off you can choose if it attacks in a forward (anti-air mode) or downward direction (anti-ground mode). You ignore the shells crushing explosive damage, it's assumed that it goes off far enough away that the blast doesn't matter, and instead just roll to see if anything is hit by the fragments as normal.

Example: A TL9 Viper 64mm missile armed with a 64mm HE warhead doing 8d×2 cr ex [3d] is fired at an incoming attack VTOL that is 130 yards away in air-burst mode. The missile has a effective skill of 17, base skill of 13 with +4 for being in air-burst mode, and with a roll of 12 hits. The missiles 8d×2 cr ex damage is ignored and instead attacked only by its fragmentation damage of [3d]. This is against a base skill of 15 modified by range, since this is a direct hit now range modifiers apply. Another 12 is rolled which is a MOS of 3, that means that the VTOL is hit with two fragments. 3d is rolled twice, doing 15 and 11 points of cutting damage respectively.

Unfortunately, as far as I can tell RAW has not answer for this one but I would rule that the target gets auto hit by a fragment for 3× normal damage as for an internal explosion to represent all the fragments going off inside the target. I would then roll to see if any additional fragments hit and give each extra one that does the same 3×.

As for the ripping out question, I'm not sure I understand the context. Some clarification would help.

Ignore the cone reference, it's just "fluff" and has no game effect. Just treat the fragments as normal.

By RAW, no, but I would double the warheads cost for a hyberdense warhead and give the fragments an (5) AD.

See my above reply. I wold like to see an office ruling on this as well.
I do appreciate it. That's actually pretty much what I was going to do spot on hahaha. I do thank you quite a lot.
Old 12-20-2016, 11:27 PM   #4
Jaware

This has no real connection in game with the previous question, but maybe this can be answered as it is similar in nature.

I was looking up mortars in ultratech because I had an idea and I had found the two mortars in conventional guns The 4x4 40mm, and the 6x5 64mm.

And this has me scratching my head. But how does the distance work out for missed shots? Do they use the scatter rules? I assume they would. But how so? Say you have effective skill of 13 when you shoot after all of the modifiers come into play. And you roll the average of a 10. Meaning 3 rounds hit at rcl 1.

how do you determine where they stray lands?

and what if you were wanting the blanket an area with the 6x5 using it as an "area denial" weapon as it says in its description?

And to throw more confusion in the mix. What if you used HE Airburst proximity rounds with it? How would you judge scatter with it then? Since the scatter distance is the square of the margin of failure.

And what if you were trying to attack multiple hexes at once anyway so that you c I updated blanket an area with explosion damage and massive amounts of shrapnal?

Last edited by Jaware; 12-20-2016 at 11:30 PM. Reason: numerous spelling errors. Yay autocorrect.
Old 12-21-2016, 12:26 AM   #5
Ulzgoroth

GURPS does not have rules that handle stray explosive rounds from bursts which partially hit. Unfortunately.
Old 12-21-2016, 07:28 AM   #6
Joseph Paul
Custom User Title

You know who I bet has some rules for this? Sir_pudding. Any one know how to pop marker smoke for him to call fire on for this?
Old 12-21-2016, 10:14 AM   #7
clu2415

Quote:
This has no real connection in game with the previous question, but maybe this can be answered as it is similar in nature.

I was looking up mortars in ultratech because I had an idea and I had found the two mortars in conventional guns The 4x4 40mm, and the 6x5 64mm.

And this has me scratching my head. But how does the distance work out for missed shots? Do they use the scatter rules? I assume they would. But how so? Say you have effective skill of 13 when you shoot after all of the modifiers come into play. And you roll the average of a 10. Meaning 3 rounds hit at rcl 1.

how do you determine where they stray lands?

and what if you were wanting the blanket an area with the 6x5 using it as an "area denial" weapon as it says in its description?

And to throw more confusion in the mix. What if you used HE Airburst proximity rounds with it? How would you judge scatter with it then? Since the scatter distance is the square of the margin of failure.

And what if you were trying to attack multiple hexes at once anyway so that you c I updated blanket an area with explosion damage and massive amounts of shrapnal?
This also applies to the 40mm UBGL which has RoF 3 at recoil 1. In your example, I would place 3 rounds exactly on target, then the scatter distance would go up by 1 for each following round. The downside to that approach is that if you empty an entire mortar box, the last rounds are scattering 25-30 hexes! In other words, you have no idea where they're headed.

Incidentally, I wonder why the 40mm mortar box uses tubes of 4 instead of tubes of 5 so it would use the same preloaded tubes as the 40mm UBGL.
clu2415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 12:49 PM   #8
Jaware

Crap.... O well I guess I'll just improvise.

I'll probably end up counting the degrees of sucess as degrees of failure and letting the shooter decide where they fall at in that area.

Like say you fire 4 rounds and it has recoil 1 and you suceed by 2. Meaning 3 rounds hit. I'll let the shooter determine where those 3 rounds hit within a 3 yard radius of the target. And then roll for scatter for the last one. Because it missed by "4" effectivly. It would fall outside the spots chosen.

Maybe that'll work. I don't know. I'll have to test it to make sure.
Old 12-21-2016, 01:22 PM   #9
Ulzgoroth

Quote:
Crap.... O well I guess I'll just improvise.

I'll probably end up counting the degrees of sucess as degrees of failure and letting the shooter decide where they fall at in that area.

Like say you fire 4 rounds and it has recoil 1 and you suceed by 2. Meaning 3 rounds hit. I'll let the shooter determine where those 3 rounds hit within a 3 yard radius of the target. And then roll for scatter for the last one. Because it missed by "4" effectivly. It would fall outside the spots chosen.

Maybe that'll work. I don't know. I'll have to test it to make sure.
By the rules, three rounds hitting means three rounds hitting, not being somewhere close. It's the last one that's not handled.
Old 12-21-2016, 02:19 PM   #10
Jaware

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulzgoroth View Post
By the rules, three rounds hitting means three rounds hitting, not being somewhere close. It's the last one that's not handled.
I agree. I'm just saying for terms of " I want to peper this area here with fragmentation damage centered on this area"

I can do that. Then if the user wanted all of them to drop on target X, he/she can. But they don't have to.

Tags
ammunition, guns, ultra tech