Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Ogre and G.E.V.

Old 06-20-2018, 07:00 PM   #31
ColBosch

Default Re: Ogre Playmat M1 Preorders at Warehouse 23

There are no stretch goals. This is not a Kickstarter campaign. If you don't think you'll like it, then don't buy it, but there has been constant demand for the past six years for something like this. If it's successful, then this opens up new options for Ogre maps.
ColBosch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 07:08 PM   #32
Izzy_B

I’m not gonna fuss that this may not be geomorphic or not chipboard. I am happy our favorite game is getting a new map.
Izzy_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 07:12 PM   #33
wolf90

Yes, this is definitely "rollable". (It's actually kind of the point for this project)

Obviously, these are not perfectly matching with the chipboard maps. But the differences are minor for those that wish to do so. As mentioned previously, these are not intended to pair with the "hard" maps. We are experimenting with new options for producing and releasing maps that are affordable for us to make and for you to purchase. Assuming this gets adequate fan support, we hope to be able to provide a number of maps in this manner. (And yes, I will endeavor to make sure they can mix and match with each other in some way!)

As far as the standard, "hard" boards go, we have maps G3 and S3 scheduled for release with the forthcoming Battlefields supplement. It is certainly possible that we will release more in that style as well, but they will be notably more expensive.

D.
Proud sponsor of Ogre KS $4.5k Sheet #3 - Bringing the Vatican Guard, a Tiger-striped mercenary unit, and of course pink GEVs, to a game near you! Orders may be placed here.
wolf90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 08:07 PM   #34
ColBosch

If we can get a new "M" map every few months for $25, I'll be a happy camper.
ColBosch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 08:23 PM   #35
Buzzardo

It's a map. Done. :)

Want a random dungeon? How about some tables for that? How about a random encounter?
Buzzardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 08:28 PM   #36
sparky00

You guys are killin' me!

First, its the unexpected Miniatures Rulebook KS, with a second chance for Set 2 minis (yea!). Violence to the tiny gaming budget.

Then a sudden, sinister 50-75% off sale on Ogre stuff- cant pass that up.

Just when I thought I'd have a little time to rebuild my devastated gaming budget before the MK VI KS - you go and spring this!

Seriously, if it plays well and gets us new maps, I'm all for it. Integrating it with existing mapboards is not a priority for me. Having it work well with overlays , counters & minis is a priority. I'm always interested in new scenarios/maps. If this a viable alternative that gets us new maps, bring it on! I'll have to actually play on it before I can decide how well I like the surface.

That doesn't mean I've lost any love for the hard mapboards. They are a joy to set up & play on, and I'm looking forward to the G3 & S3 boards in Battlefields. I'll buy any hard mapboard you choose to make. Ever. I know they are expensive - but I love them.
sparky00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 08:33 PM   #37
sparky00

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf90 View Post

We are experimenting with new options for producing and releasing maps that are affordable for us to make and for you to purchase. Assuming this gets adequate fan support, we hope to be able to provide a number of maps in this manner. (And yes, I will endeavor to make sure they can mix and match with each other in some way!)

D.
You know, the Icepick scenario map is one that works really well as a standalone, due to its atypical terrain.

just sayin' ;-}
sparky00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 09:04 PM   #38
TheAmishStig

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf90 View Post
Yes, this is definitely "rollable". (It's actually kind of the point for this project)

Obviously, these are not perfectly matching with the chipboard maps. But the differences are minor for those that wish to do so. As mentioned previously, these are not intended to pair with the "hard" maps. We are experimenting with new options for producing and releasing maps that are affordable for us to make and for you to purchase. Assuming this gets adequate fan support, we hope to be able to provide a number of maps in this manner. (And yes, I will endeavor to make sure they can mix and match with each other in some way!)

As far as the standard, "hard" boards go, we have maps G3 and S3 scheduled for release with the forthcoming Battlefields supplement. It is certainly possible that we will release more in that style as well, but they will be notably more expensive.

D.
It's a fun experiment, one that people have been asking for as long as there has been talk of new maps!

That does concern me about the commercial viability of Battlefields, though. Even if they're 'slightly more'...say $30 a pop for the hardboard...with 3 counter sheets, that's an MSRP somewhere in the neighborhood of $80. For people who aren't adoring fans, that's gonna be a hard sell for an expansion to a $50 game.

I'm hoping what's at play is that the economies of scale are hurting the neoprene experiment. A lot of 100 is not a lot of lot, and that can't be helping the price per unit.

Not gonna stop me from getting a couple, though. I'll probably snag at least a 2-pack of both Battlefields and M1.

And if it flops, there's always poster paper...flimsy, but cheap and very easy to store...or O6E-thickness maps!
MIB Agent #0460
Ogre 134th Battalion

Lancaster, PA
Imgur: https://agent0460.imgur.com/
TheAmishStig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 09:19 PM   #39
dwalend

That river cutting through the map makes tanks depend on the bridges. There are four, but they are flimsy. The southern edge and northwest corner are good tank ground, but not the middle.

When those bridges fall, they'll block GEVs on the river. The big city and all that forest will channel the GEVs into chokepoints. There's a good east-west GEV corridor in the north, but the southern route has a narrow neck. North-south there's no good GEV route.

MHWZ and MSL could be interesting in the city. There are plenty of roads and the MHWZ only moves one hex a turn anyway.

This map is an infantryman's map.
dwalend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 09:32 PM   #40
wolf90

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky00 View Post
You know, the Icepick scenario map is one that works really well as a standalone, due to its atypical terrain.

just sayin' ;-}
Already on my radar. As is Iron Mountain.

<grin>

D.
Proud sponsor of Ogre KS $4.5k Sheet #3 - Bringing the Vatican Guard, a Tiger-striped mercenary unit, and of course pink GEVs, to a game near you! Orders may be placed here.
wolf90 is offline   Reply With Quote