Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 08-09-2017, 10:06 PM   #1
Parabola

Default Gadgeteering Question

This may seem a dumb question but I've only got the 4e basic set: characters.

In the old rules (3e), if you bought, say, an energy blast in a gadget, and put enhancements and limitations on it, you would subtract any gadget limitations from the total.

I'll give an example of what I mean.

Laser 5 (6 points per level) bought with the Instantaneous enhancement (+20%) and the unreliable limitation: activation 14- (-10%) would come to 33 points.

Then let's say you have gadget limitations. Breakable: DR 15 or less (-15%) and can be hit at no penalty (-25%). Total -40%.

You would then subtract that -40% from the total of 33 points. The final cost would be 20 points.

In 4e, the gadget section is brief but it does not say that gadget limitations in 4e are treated differently than other limitations the way they were in 3e.

In 4e, are you still supposed to total all other enhancements and limitations and then subtract the gadget limitations from that total? Or do gadget limitations just tally up like all other limitations?
Parabola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 10:10 PM   #2
PK

Default Re: Gadgeteering Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parabola View Post
In 4e, the gadget section is brief but it does not say that gadget limitations in 4e are treated differently than other limitations the way they were in 3e.
Right, because they aren't.

Quote:
In 4e, are you still supposed to total all other enhancements and limitations and then subtract the gadget limitations from that total? Or do gadget limitations just tally up like all other limitations?
The latter. For example, you might represent a jetpack as:

Flight (Breakable, DR 15, SM -6, -20%; Can Be Stolen, Forcibly removed, -10%; Limited Use, 4/day, -20%; Nuisance Effect, Noisy, -5%) [18].

MyGURPS: My house rules and GURPS resources.

#SJGamesLive: I answered questions about GURPS After the End and more!
{Watch Video} - {Read Transcript}
PK is offline   Reply With Quote