Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin 101

Old 02-08-2013, 07:28 AM   #1
endril

Default Can you assist someone in winning even if it does not allow you to win as well

Hi,

I know it may seem like a dumb question, but after going through a series of games where someone that was level 4 offered to assist someone that was level 9 just so that certain someone would be the one to win, it makes more sense to ask :)

So: can you offer to assist someone that will win the game (is fighting the monster while having level 9) even if you do not also win the game (i.e. be an elf level 9)?

Thanks a lot in advance!
Old 02-08-2013, 08:17 AM   #2
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor

Default Re: Can you assist someone in winning even if it does not allow you to win as well

There is nothing in the rules that says you can't, so while it may not be in the spirit of the game, it's a legal play.

Let people like what they like. Don't be a gamer hater.

#PlayMunchkin on social media: Twitter || Facebook || Instagram || YouTube
Follow us on Kickstarter: Steve Jackson Games and Warehouse 23
Andrew Hackard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 09:20 AM   #3
MunchkinMan

Default Re: Can you assist someone in winning even if it does not allow you to win as well

Munchkins are not known for such generosity, but I guess there is always one weirdo in the bunch. ;-)
MiB #1029
MunchkinMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 09:37 AM   #4
Brf

Don't forget the Faster Play Rules, where you can have a shared victory even if you don't reach Level-10.
Brf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 10:22 AM   #5
MunchkinMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brf View Post
Don't forget the Faster Play Rules, where you can have a shared victory even if you don't reach Level-10.
Yes, but it's not a default rule, it's an optional rule, so you would have to choose to use it, and if that rule is in use, altruism now has its rewards.
MiB #1029
MunchkinMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 02:49 PM   #6
Clipper

There is often some catharsis to be gained via such king making. If there was a third player also at Level 9 in this scenario, and they were the one primarily responsible for me being Level 4 at that stage, then I'd certainly be very happy to help the other guy win.
Old 02-08-2013, 03:12 PM   #7
Mister Ed

Plus sometimes, if it's gone on long enough, and you aren't likely to win, you just want the game to end. ;-)
Mister Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 12:39 AM   #8
endril

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clipper View Post
There is often some catharsis to be gained via such king making. If there was a third player also at Level 9 in this scenario, and they were the one primarily responsible for me being Level 4 at that stage, then I'd certainly be very happy to help the other guy win.
This is what happened during our games, mainly - plain revenge :) I am definitely not a fan of this since in my opinion it spoils most of the fun in the competition if you play with the same people repeatedly, but it's good to know the official point of view!

Thanks again for everything, everyone!

Tags
helper, winning level