Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game

Old 01-18-2018, 06:02 AM   #1
Jeminai

Default DFRPG vs DF 1-19

Our gaming group previously purchased the DF series as they were being released before the DFRPG was ever a thing.

How do the two compare to one another?
Old 01-18-2018, 06:29 AM   #2
Gnaskar

Default Re: DFRPG vs DF 1-19

The short version: DF1-19 has more stuff in them, but DFRPG is easier for new players.

DFRPG is rebalanced, with new and more sensible magic item costs, armor cost and weight, and more diversity in weapons. On the other hand, the weapons are mostly or entirely from Low Tech and Martial Arts and the armor is a simplified version of the armor creation rules from Low Tech.

Basically, if you have the full DF collection and a decent set of general purpose GURPS books (Magic, Low Tech, Martial Arts), you aren't going to find anything new in DFRPG. In fact, you'll find that a lot is missing, both classes (no Psis, Invokers, Summoners, Innkeepers, etc), races (no player goblins), and content (wilderness adventures).

However, If all you want to do is go down into a dungeon and roll some dice, DFRPG works on its own without needing anything outside the boxed set. If you need to make a new character, everything you need is in one book; gear, powerups, templates, traits. Need to stock the dungeon? You don't have three monsters pdfs and a handful of pyramid articles to search through, but one single book with a wide range of creatures.
Gnaskar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 06:37 AM   #3
Harald387

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnaskar View Post
Basically, if you have the full DF collection and a decent set of general purpose GURPS books (Magic, Low Tech, Martial Arts), you aren't going to find anything new in DFRPG.
This isn't quite true: text on many advantages, disadvantages, and skills was updated and clarified; systems were put into <i>Exploits</i> to cover things like 'conflicting disadvantages' and to add value to some skills; <i>Spells</i> is an overhaul of <i>Magic</i> that solves a lot of the complaints that exist with that book (like how many spells are incompatible with 4e systems); and a lot of the content in DFRPG is collected from various Pyramid articles, which the average person/group may not have access to.

I still found enough new content in it that as someone who already had all of DF, <i>and</i> all of the relevant Pyramid, <i>and</i> most of the other GURPS publications, this was a useful buy.
GP: How can that be?
M2: I don't know man, I didn't do it.
Harald387 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 07:09 AM   #4
LoneWolf23k

Basically, use DFRPG to introduce new players to the game, and run a couple dungeons. Then, as they become more engrossed into the campaign, expand into DF 1-19 materials to expand the setting and give players new options.
LoneWolf23k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 08:11 AM   #5
ULFGARD

I agree wholeheartedly with others who have mentioned that DFRPG offers some great rules clarifications and guidelines for using skills and advantages in a DF context. (There's also the much better slam rules.) That said, if you're already running DF in a group, it probably isn't a great buy. If, OTOH, you're about to start a game, it can be quite valuable, especially if you have players new to GURPS.

DFRPG has enabled me to get a group of Pathfinder players into a GURPS game. With DF 1 - 19, Pyramid, and GURPS in general, I've been able to give one player the Dungeon Alchemist she wanted to play. I was also able to give her an ally (foot soldier), and another player's Druid an animal ally. With very little work on my part, the additions were straightforward and have showcased the strengths of GURPS to the other players, so much so that there have been some general discussions about eventual campaigns in other genres.
Old 01-18-2018, 11:19 AM   #6
Stripe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeminai View Post
Our gaming group previously purchased the DF series as they were being released before the DFRPG was ever a thing.

How do the two compare to one another?
I've greatly enjoyed the shift to DF RPG from nearly all of DF + the expanded combat maneuvers of Martial Arts + the armor and hit locations of Low-Tech + several additions from Pyramid.

Got back to playing the game rather than playing the rules.

I'm really hoping SJG keeps this system light weight. I'd like to see a "Treasure Tables" and a "Henchmen," but other than that, I haven't missed any of the bloat.
if I can't say 'I'm chaotic evil!'"? —Jeff Freeman
Stripe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 04:57 PM   #7
zuljita

I think the only thing I miss is extra effort in combat (Feverish defense in particular), but that's easy to add if you feel like you need it. Pseudonym made a handy blog post talking about this that gets linked a lot (because it's quite complete). You can add back in 100% of the "missing" material while still using the box set as your primary source of rules. Most of what is listed in his blog shows Dependencies of None, in those cases you shouldn't even need GURPS basic set to make them work.
Old 01-18-2018, 05:12 PM   #8
demonsbane

Quote:
Originally Posted by zuljita View Post
extra effort in combat (Feverish defense in particular), but that's easy to add if you feel like you need it.
I think the same. Here are the options of the Basic Set for extra effort in combat, available in this forum.

"Physics is basic but inessential."
Wolfgang Smith

My G+
demonsbane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 05:20 PM   #9
demonsbane

Besides the basic options for extra effort in combat, I miss the Evil Clerics and Unholy Warriors from Dungeon Fantasy 3: The Next Level.

"Physics is basic but inessential."
Wolfgang Smith

My G+
demonsbane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 05:35 PM   #10
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

I feel like we had a thread discussing the mechanical differences but I can't find it.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote