Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-08-2017, 08:51 AM   #11
N.H.Alicia

Default Re: GURPS Naruto: Again (assumes some familiarity with the source material)

Ritual magery style system:

There are four base skills of jutsu: Taijutsu (melee combat), Ninjutsu(using chakra to create physical effects), Genjutsu(interfering with an opponent's perceptions) and Chakra Control(everything else involving chakra). Nevermind Fuinjutsu for now.
Each jutsu belongs to one of these categories, and is bought like a spell. Most jutsu have minimum skill prerequisites.
N.H.Alicia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 09:05 AM   #12
Fred Brackin

Default Re: GURPS Naruto: Again (assumes some familiarity with the source material)

Quote:
Originally Posted by N.H.Alicia View Post
Each jutsu belongs to one of these categories, and is bought like a spell. Most jutsu have minimum skill prerequisites.
Some jutsus would have a genetic/family UB requirement. The Sharingan is just the most prominent example.
Old 10-08-2017, 09:49 AM   #13
N.H.Alicia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Brackin View Post
Some jutsus would have a genetic/family UB requirement. The Sharingan is just the most prominent example.
The Sharingan will probably be an advantage.
Some jutsu would have it as a prerequisite, though.

On another note, how would we handle hand seals? Basing them on skills is iffy as Genjutsu and Ninjutsu use the same seals.
I think we can abstract them.
Old 10-09-2017, 01:16 PM   #14
Hide

Quote:

(...) There are four base skills of jutsu: Taijutsu (melee combat), Ninjutsu(using chakra to create physical effects), Genjutsu(interfering with an opponent's perceptions) and Chakra Control(everything else involving chakra). Nevermind Fuinjutsu for now. Each jutsu belongs to one of these categories, and is bought like a spell. Most jutsu have minimum skill prerequisites.
I read the whole Naruto manga since it started, 'till its end; I also have thought 'bout making a ninja following the series archetypes. So I will share mi ideas with you:

ST, DX, HT, FP, etc. if any of these exceeds 10, then it is above the average norm. I would not tamper with it, DX 12 is pretty good already for a regular shinobi; Kakashi might have DX 15. Remember, stats are intimately involved with the 3 dice system, and the attributes variables are tied to the dice value (3-18). In other words, using "ridiculous strength and dexterity" (i.e. DX 20) may take your setting to another level of challenge. Basically (for example) because DX 20 gives you high defaults for almost any skill, and investing 1 point would grant you a large margin for success (dice-wise). Then you will have to think about high-difficulty penalties to make stuff challenging to your players.

I would devise "basic advantages" to delimit those abilities any shinobi must have and which also make them look ridiculously strong or dexterous: Perfect balance, clinging, super climbing, super jumping, lizard climbing...

You mentioned ablative DR, do you want longer battles?

I don't think you need it, your PCs only require a dodge/parry roll to survive innate attacks, and if they are hit, then they will suffer as much as anyone would suffer if hit by any attack. You could enforce specialized parry rules, sometimes you can use a skill to parry (for example using a water ninjutsu to parry the fire ninjutsu).

Regarding shinobi skills

As the source of all jutsu lies within living beings as chakra, ninjutsu is some sort of an innate attack. So, I think this could be more simple if you employ innate attacks which require FP (instead of using the magic system).

Aiming, doing seals (hand gestures) and so on are already handled by regular GURPS stuff (aim maneuver, concentrate maneuver, etc.).

In Naruto, hand gestures were cool, but they started to become irrelevant as the series advanced... I would simply rule you must throw away your weapon if both hands are required for the skill, otherwise add "requires more time" modifier to deliver the skill accordingly.

I would then choose the advantage "trained by a master" to justify access to shinobi skills and add "unusual background" for "blood-lines" and "sennin jutsu".

Other examples:

- Genjutsu is cinematic mind control and/or possession.
- Sealing jutsu are maledictions/afflictions
- Sharingan is a "wild-talent",
- Byakugan is "360° degree vision" with modifiers
- Taijutsu is simply karate/judo @ cinematic levels
- Medic jutsu is a combination of afflicting regeneration as an innate attack and using medic skills of high tech levels.
- Deidara's mouths are the "extra mouth" advantage with modifiers
- Ninja scrolls simply grant you a chance to learn another innate attack

IMO you will need to create character templates by profession and then make some mock characters (ie. Naruto, Hinata, Sasuke, Sakura, etc.) in order to establish the average CP for a regular player.

Hope this helps,
Take care!
- Hide

Last edited by Hide; 10-09-2017 at 01:20 PM.
Hide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 07:57 AM   #15
N.H.Alicia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hide View Post
As the source of all jutsu lies within living beings as chakra, ninjutsu is some sort of an innate attack. So, I think this could be more simple if you employ innate attacks which require FP (instead of using the magic system).

Aiming, doing seals (hand gestures) and so on are already handled by regular GURPS stuff (aim maneuver, concentrate maneuver, etc.).
This is the million-ryo question: Advantages or spells?
The reason I started with spells was to make it easier for ninja to know many techniques, and to make building them and the talents easier.
That being said, my mockup fireball power was very cheap: 3 points/level.

The main problem is talent (balancing the fact that a Ninjutsu power talent could potentially benefit 100 abilities) and training in one specific technique.
(I think hand seals should be abstracted. Trying to determine how many seals a character can perform in one second is too damn tedious for me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hide View Post
Other examples:

- Genjutsu is cinematic mind control and/or possession.
- Sealing jutsu are maledictions/afflictions
- Sharingan is a "wild-talent",
- Byakugan is "360° degree vision" with modifiers
- Taijutsu is simply karate/judo @ cinematic levels
- Medic jutsu is a combination of afflicting regeneration as an innate attack and using medic skills of high tech levels.
- Deidara's mouths are the "extra mouth" advantage with modifiers
- Ninja scrolls simply grant you a chance to learn another innate attack
Most Genjutsu seem more like illusions to me.
I think Deidara's mouths were mostly special effects.
Taijutsu techniques as actual Techniques (basic p.229) works for me, but some (Eight Gates, Asakujaku) make more sense as advantages.

The help is appreciated.
Old 10-10-2017, 03:15 PM   #16
N.H.Alicia

EDIT: Skills for Everyone can be found on page 162 of GURPS Powers.
Power based Jutsu:
Under this system, jutsu are bought as powers with certain suggested modifiers I.E.
Requires Gestures (Both hands, -10%), Requires Activation Roll (???) (Skills for Everyone doesn't actually change the point cost).
Ninjutsu etc Talent costs (x/level) points and adds to the activation roll.
If effective activation skill with a jutsu is 14, it automatically succeeds - only roll if the result is needed for some other reason.

Taijutsu would most likely just be renamed Karate, possibly including some weapons (although Gentle Fist might be a seperate skill). Special taijutsu jutsu (heh) would use Taijutsu as talent.

Certain jutsu would have other jutsu and minimum Talent/Skill prerequisites (Skill or Talent? Have to choose soon...) EDIT: Skills.

Another mockup:
Fireball Jutsu (8 points)
Prerequisites: X Ninjutsu (Talent/Skill)
Special: Fire Release, Uchiha clan
2d6 Burning (10 points base)
Requires Hand Seals (-10%), Costs Fatigue (2 FP, 10%)
Uses Skills for Everyone rules (Not sure about defaults, should probably reduce untrained penalty (anyone who possesses the ability knows how to use the jutsu))

Last edited by N.H.Alicia; 10-10-2017 at 03:30 PM. Reason: Added page reference, made important decision.
Old 10-11-2017, 01:41 PM   #17
Hide

Quote:
This is the million-ryo question: Advantages or spells?
Well, it depends on the objective of your campaign:

In my campaigns, ninjas are an exotic class. But I like it simple, they can have the unusual background "ninja training" and buy certain skills as innate attacks and ninja compliant skills. If their back-story is really nice I can let them have "bloodlines" and other features from Naruto if they are savvy (within their budget, which is 350 CP, including 50 from disadvantages and attributes no higher than 12).

The characters usually remain as they were created. They grow indeed, but they won't gain special skills unless they find a "ninja master" or a "scroll" (rare events), or unless the main plot is over and they go back to their village to train once more.

Since we focus on missions, we play characters which at least have the basic training of their trade and can survive independently; thus, access to training is episodic, or limited to “field experience” or “special events” (i.e. meeting the master of a special skill or using stealth the whole setting along other stealth experts).

If you want to emulate "ninja school life", the “ninja exams” or if your story is about “becoming ninja”. Then it is OK making things “complicated” around ninja skills; Your PC will have ninja masters to learn from, mock missions to try stuff, scrolls, etc. In other words, your campaign will be OK if it provides more challenge to get skills and test them.

Thinking of Ninjutsu as magic, under GURPS magic, you will need magery and 5 skills to throw a simple fireball: Magery (10), shape fire (1), create fire (1), seek fire (1), ignite fire (1). It takes 5 slots in your character sheet, and costs at least 15 points.

So, I would allow a ninja buy "innate attack burn" with an unusual background or trained by a master (which grants other benefits). It is more or less the same cost, and only requires 2 slots (just a matter of taste).

In a 100% ninja campaign, I would allow my ninjas buying innate attack alone, provided “being a ninja is normal”.

Again, perhaps it is a matter of taste; but answering your question, I would take enhanced or limited advantages. Then, I would leave the rest to basic rules (RAW) and imagination. For example, a summoned frog would be an ally with the enhancement “can be summoned”.

For extra spice you could try Power Ups 1, 6, 8 and Dungeon Fantasy Ninjas.

- Hide

Last edited by Hide; 10-11-2017 at 11:21 PM.
Hide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 04:38 AM   #18
N.H.Alicia

I'm intending for all characters to be ninja by default.

Earlier in the thread, I floated the idea of designing both power and magic based systems. I think we'll start with powers.

The main problem with powers? Shadow Clone Jutsu. Even Constructed Duplicates don't handle it particularly well - shadow clones are created when the technique is used, not summoned. It shouldn't cost 10 FP to replace them because they are disposable.

Last edited by N.H.Alicia; 10-12-2017 at 04:43 AM. Reason: Spelling correction.
Old 10-13-2017, 08:47 AM   #19
Gnomasz

Quote:
It shouldn't cost 10 FP to replace them because they are disposable.
Just add Recuced Fatigue Cost to it.
Old 10-14-2017, 12:59 PM   #20
N.H.Alicia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnomasz View Post
Just add Recuced Fatigue Cost to it.
The problem there is that Constructs don't require any fatigue to create, and the cost to replace only applies when constructs are destroyed, not dismissed.
I want clones created on the spot and destroyed when the effect is over.

Tags
naruto