Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 08-22-2015, 08:00 AM   #1
Honken

Default GURPS Streaming, n' stuff?

So, now that "that other game" has been released in it's fifth incarnation, and it's interest is higher then ever due to streamers, streaming their games. My question to you is. Are there any GURPS Streamers out there?

/H

We don't stop playing because we grow old,
we grow old because we stop playing!

Honken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 08:36 AM   #2
Desthro

Default Re: GURPS Streaming, n' stuff?

That has to be the strangest thing, like, people actually watch players "From That Other Game" playing tabletop?

Like what? I guess it's no different than watching Golf... ;)
Desthro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 08:40 AM   #3
Bruno

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desthro View Post
That has to be the strangest thing, like, people actually watch players "From That Other Game" playing tabletop?

A hell of a lot more interesting than golf. You've never spectated at a game at a convention or game store? Players make jokes, their characters get into stupid and/or tension inducing situations, people roleplay a roleplaying game (gasp)...
Or if the game is on the tactical side, it's like watching (and listening) to people playing a bordgame or videogame together, and there's a lot of lets-plays like that on Youtube too.

Obviously it depends on the group and the acoustics - if people mumble, have strong accents, and the sound is bad, it's impossible to figure out what's going on.
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 08:50 AM   #4
Honken

Well, I am not saying that you need to like it. It is not for everybody, and i can defenitly say that I don't like all groups I have had a look at. What it does it attract an younger audience. Basicly revitalizing the RPG nerddom.

My favourite one is a Shadowrun 1e game that is up on it's... erm. is it... 20th session.

/H

We don't stop playing because we grow old,
we grow old because we stop playing!

Last edited by Honken; 08-22-2015 at 08:54 AM. Reason: Adding stuff...
Honken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 10:13 AM   #5
evileeyore
Banned

Quote:

I don't really get it either. And I have watched golf... ;)

I only watched the Penny Arcade 4e games and then only because Jerry, Mike, and Scott (the PvP comic artist/writer) are really witty guys that brought the funny to the table. If those three were to do some 5e games I might watch those as well.
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 10:51 AM   #6
jeff_wilson
Computer Scientist

Quote:

Game streaming is useful because it lets people who have never played before see how the game works, and it lets people who have played before see other ways to play it.

The Campaigns of William Stoddard
jeff_wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 10:51 AM   #7
trooper6

If you want to watch some amazing streamed RPGs, I can recommend Critical Role from Geek and Sundry: https://geekandsundry.com/shows/critical-role/

They play a modified D&D 5e. Each session is about 3 hours, and they've had 20 sessions so far...all of which can be watched on the Geek and Sundry site. They stream on Twitch Thursdays at 7pm PST.

They are also all successful and fairly well known voice actors. I watched the first one...and ended up binge watching the rest until I got caught up. They are amazing and Matt Mercer is a great GM. Plus, they have very good production quality. This is professionally done.

What I wouldn't give to see a really, really great GURPS group stream with that level of quality...I think it would do a lot to help popularize our system.
trooper6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 11:44 AM   #8
Propjock

As someone who mostly GMs and doesn't go to cons it's always been difficult to know how others ran their games. But with streaming stuff or podcasts (more my speed since the visuals aren't terribly interesting in most cases) I can get a sense of how others play and run their games.
Propjock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 12:47 PM   #9
sjard
Stick in the Mud

There have been several of various games I've enjoyed watching over the last few years. There have also been some that were really bad. And only one of those did I keep watching because of the train wreck fascination.

Thinking of which, I need to get back to watching the Titansgrave series on G&S. (Not trainwreck, but also not my play style. But fun to watch so far.)
MIB #1457
sjard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 01:36 PM   #10
Kuroshima
MIB
Pyramid Contributor
Mad Spaniard Rules Lawyer

Location: The ASS of the world, mainly Valencia, Spain (Europe)

Well, I would stream my game if I had the necessary hardware, but given that we play in Spanish (with a whole lot of English GURPS terms of art), I don't think people would appreciate it anyway.

As for watching game streams, I get the appeal, specially for games/genres that I have issues running. It shows me the ropes.
My stuff on e23
Kuroshima is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gurps, streaming