Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 11-11-2010, 02:40 PM   #1
Jenian

Default How to handle price of lower TL item in higher TL?

As it is in the topic. How to handle price of lower TL item in higher TL? There are guideline rules in GURPS: Basic Set page 27 for situation where character is getting high TL item at lower TL and how this affects the items price. However nothing is said what happens for the price when the situation is other way around.

I have been searching this piece of information for quite some while now and haven't yet found the answer. There is however one place that I have found mention about this sort of thing but it is in 3rd edition Compendium 2 (sidebars page 8-9). This rule seems handy but why haven't I found such in 4th edition books? Has it been forgotten or thought to be an obsolete rule?

Closely related things in 4th edition books that I have found are bladed weapon price drop and quality increase at higher TLs (Basic Set page 274.) But this has sofar been the only one.

I am planning to make this pricedrop with TL to be a house rule unless I manage to find it from some 4th edition books.

Thank you in advance.
Jenian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 02:49 PM   #2
vierasmarius

Default Re: How to handle price of lower TL item in higher TL?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenian View Post
As it is in the topic. How to handle price of lower TL item in higher TL? There are guideline rules in GURPS: Basic Set page 27 for situation where character is getting high TL item at lower TL and how this affects the items price. However nothing is said what happens for the price when the situation is other way around.

I have been searching this piece of information for quite some while now and haven't yet found the answer. There is however one place that I have found mention about this sort of thing but it is in 3rd edition Compendium 2 (sidebars page 8-9). This rule seems handy but why haven't I found such in 4th edition books? Has it been forgotten or thought to be an obsolete rule?

Closely related things in 4th edition books that I have found are bladed weapon price drop and quality increase at higher TLs (Basic Set page 274.) But this has sofar been the only one.

I am planning to make this pricedrop with TL to be a house rule unless I manage to find it from some 4th edition books.

Thank you in advance.
Aside from certain items being available at better quality / lower weight for the same cost as their lower-TL counterpart, I don't think there's any discount for low TL gear. Of course, some obsolete items may be found cheaply through military surplus stores, but that has more to do with the process of military acquisitions and replacement than TL advancement.
vierasmarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 02:54 PM   #3
lexington

Quote:

Thank you in advance.
Theoretically the total value of the economy at higher TLs is greater than at lower TLs, so the price in $GURPS doesn't change. Which, yes, it totally counterintuitive.
lexington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 03:06 PM   #4
Jenian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vierasmarius View Post
Aside from certain items being available at better quality / lower weight for the same cost as their lower-TL counterpart, I don't think there's any discount for low TL gear. Of course, some obsolete items may be found cheaply through military surplus stores, but that has more to do with the process of military acquisitions and replacement than TL advancement.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lexington View Post
Theoretically the total value of the economy at higher TLs is greater than at lower TLs, so the price in $GURPS doesn't change. Which, yes, it totally counterintuitive.
Idea here is to price the obsolete items. For example Radio Communicators from Ultra Tech page 44 at TL10 the price stay same as TL9 but the range is doubled. What happens if I want to buy this TL9 communicator at TL10? Should I pay the same price as the TL10 piece costs? TL9 equipment clearly is obsolete but they are as still as available as the TL10 pieces.

This problem comes every time I try to figure out equipment price for campaigns in Autoduel, Fallout or Reign of Steel for example.
Old 11-11-2010, 03:52 PM   #5
David Johnston2

Quote:
Idea here is to price the obsolete items. For example Radio Communicators from Ultra Tech page 44 at TL10 the price stay same as TL9 but the range is doubled. What happens if I want to buy this TL9 communicator at TL10? Should I pay the same price as the TL10 piece costs? TL9 equipment clearly is obsolete but they are as still as available as the TL10 pieces.
Actually they probably aren't. Ever tried to go out and buy a vacuum tube radio at Walmart?
David Johnston2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 04:07 PM   #6
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
High Tech has rules for this on page 10.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 05:16 PM   #7
Jenian

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Johnston2 View Post
Actually they probably aren't. Ever tried to go out and buy a vacuum tube radio at Walmart?
True. Didn't think it that way. Their fundamental purpose is same but technology they use might function on a whole different principles. Thank you for reminding me what Tech Levels mean. Thank you also for giving me a new perspective on this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
High Tech has rules for this on page 10.
Thank you. I managed to miss this even though I have dug through every sourcebook I have at my disposal.

Still. This leaves me baffeld with few small campaign specific issues but they aren't on-topic anymore. Thank you all for answers.

Tags
4th edition, equipment, pricing, tech level