Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-18-2018, 11:04 PM   #11
Daigoro
 
Daigoro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Meifumado
Default Re: Help/Advice with a GURPS Shadowrun Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly Pedersen View Post
Hmm. Personally, I wouldn't use different TL equipment. That's rather too much of a jump, I think.
I wouldn't either, but OP could have a look at the Thinking Machines article from Pyramid 3/37 for how to use fractional TLs (e.g. TL 9.25, 9.5, etc), which can represent tech advances more granularly.
__________________
World Wikis:
Cyberpunk: Duopoly Nation
Fantasy: Dominion Cross
Space Opera: Behind the King's Eclipse
Steampunk: Colonial Steam
Daigoro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 07:38 PM   #12
DAT
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Aiken, South Carolina
Default Re: Help/Advice with a GURPS Shadowrun Game

Well here is an attempt at the Shaman's Spirit Rat Swarm Ally:

Ally(Spirit Rat Swarm) (Power 100%, 6; Appears 12 or less,x2; Summonable, x2) [20]

SPIRIT RAT SWARM [Points 225]
A summonable one hex swarm of 12 spirit rats that can be used to spread out and recon an area, or to mass and attack. Only visible to spellcasters and creatures who can view the Astral Plane.
Attributes and Secondary Characteristics: [-40]
ST: 2 [-80] HP: 12 [20] Speed: 6.00 [0]
DX: 12 [40] Will: 10 [10] Move: 6 [0]
IQ: 6 [-80] Per: 12 [30]
HT: 12 [20] FP: 12 [0] SM: 0
Dodge: 8 Parry: n/a DR: 0
Attack (no roll): 1d6 point cutting damage, ignores DR, +1 FP. The swarm must “step” into the hex with the target.
Advantages:[246]
Astral Entity [171];
- Doesn’t Breathe [20];
- Doesn’t Eat or Drink [10];
- Doesn’t Sleep [20];
- Immunity to Metabolic Hazards [30];
- Insubstantiality (Always On, -50%) [40];
- Invisibility (Substantial Only, -10%) [36]; and
- Unaging [15].
Darkvision [25];
Innate Attack (1D, Cutting +1 FP; Affect Substantial, +40%; Melee Attack C, -30%; Irresistible attack, +300%; Link, +10%;) [25]
Regeneration (Regular; 1 HP per 12 hours) [25]
Skills:[19]
Observation (A) Per+2 [8]=14;
Scrounging (E) Per [1]=12;
Stealth (A) DX+2 [8]=14;
TBD Skill [2]
Class: Spirit.

Any comments or suggestions?

Last edited by DAT; 06-01-2018 at 08:36 PM.
DAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 08:41 PM   #13
DAT
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Aiken, South Carolina
Default Re: Help/Advice with a GURPS Shadowrun Game

Here are some Technomancer entries. Any comments or suggestions?

Technomancer Package 55 points
Advantages:
Ally ([Microbotswarm]; Built on 50%, 3pt; Constantly Available, x4; Special Abilities, +50%; Minion, +50%; Sympathy, -25%: +475%) [10].
Avatar [1];
Mindlink (Microbotswarm; Cybernetic Only, -50%; Magic -10%: -60%) [2]
Telesend (Accessibility, Familiar only, -80%; Can tell if sending is successful, +10%; Magic, -10%:-80%) [6]
Technomacery Enpowerment (Cybernetic Only, -50%;) [10]
Modular Abilities:
- Lightning Bolt: Burning Attack 4d (GBF, -40%; Magic, -10%; Side Effect, Stunning, +50%; Surge, +20%:+20%) [24/5].
Damage 4d burn, Range 1/2D 10, Max 100, Acc 3, RoF 1, Shots N/A, and Recoil 1
- Mind Reading (Cybernetic Only, -50%; Granted By Familiar, -40%; Magic, -10%: -80%) [6/2]
- Mind Shield 5 (Cybernetic Only, -50%; Granted By Familiar, -40%; Magic -10%: -80%) [4/1]
- Possession (Digital Minds, -40%; Granted By Familiar, -40%; Magic -10%; Telecontrol, +50%: -30%) [70/14]
Skills:
Innate Attack (A) DX+1 [4]

Technomancer Microbotswarm “Familiar” 113 points
The microbotoswarm is preprogramed to hover in close formation around its master, forming a body suit, a trailing cloak, or a veil and cloak. It does not interfere with movement: the swarm tracks its master’s body with its sensors and adjusts to your motion. Color is normally monochromatic, but can change to multiple colors or patterns if desired. Swarm provides a base DR 1.
Attributes and Secondary Characteristics: [-118]
ST: 1 [-90] HP: 12 [22] Speed: 6.00 [10]
DX: 10 [0] Will: 4 [0] Move: 6 [0]
IQ: 4 [-120] Per: 12 [40]`
HT: 12 [20] FP: n/a [0] SM: 0
Dodge: 8 Parry: n/a DR: 0
Advantages: [438]
AI [32]
- Absolute Timing [2*];
- Digital Mind [5*];
- Doesn’t Sleep [20*];
- Intuitive Mathematician [5*];
- Photographic Memory [10*]; and
- Reprogrammable [-10*].
Avatar [1];
Doesn’t Breathe [20]
Doesn’t Eat or Drink (“Eat” Yearly] [10]
Flight [40];
Immunity to Metabolic Hazards [30],
Injury Tolerance (No Blood, Unliving) [25],
Injury Tolerance (Damage Reduction 2*; Accessibility, Not versus area attacks, -10%; Limited, Burning, corrosion, crushing, cutting, and toxic, -10%) [40];
Injury Tolerance (Diffuse; Swarm†, +80%) [180];
Mindlink (Master; Cybernetic Only, -50%; Magic -10%: -60%) [2];
Pressure Support [15],
Regeneration (Regular; Accessibility-20%) [20];
Sealed [15]
Telesend (Accessibility, Master only, -80%; Can tell if sending is successful, +10%; Magic, -10%) [6].
Vacuum Support [5]
(* Included in Package)
Disadvantages [-239]
Electrical [-20],
Familiar [–22]
- Sense of Duty (Master) [-2*];
- Special Rapport (Master) [5*];
- Wealth (Dead Broke) [-25*].
Fragile [-50]
Maintenance (Monthly) [-2],
Numb [-20],
Hidebound [-5];
Incurious (6) [-10];
Low Empathy [-20];
No Sense of Humor [-10];
Restricted Diet (Radioactives) [-30],
Slave Mentality [-40].
Social Stigma (Valuable Property) [-10].
(* Included in Package)
Skills [?]
Observation (A) Per [2]=12;

Last edited by DAT; 06-02-2018 at 06:53 PM. Reason: Change "nano" to "microbot"
DAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2018, 08:16 AM   #14
Fred Brackin
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Default Re: Help/Advice with a GURPS Shadowrun Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAT View Post
Here are some Technomancer entries. Any comments or suggestions?

;
It appears to be too advanced for Transhuman Space. Even that doesn't have nanoswarms. Just microbot ones.

Then if you're looking for Technomancer rather than Transhuman Space it's much, much too advanced.

In UT nanoswarms are a TL 11 thing.
__________________
Fred Brackin
Fred Brackin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2018, 06:58 PM   #15
DAT
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Aiken, South Carolina
Default Re: Help/Advice with a GURPS Shadowrun Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Brackin View Post
It appears to be too advanced for Transhuman Space. Even that doesn't have nanoswarms. Just microbot ones.

Then if you're looking for Technomancer rather than Transhuman Space it's much, much too advanced.

In UT nanoswarms are a TL 11 thing.
I was using the THS tech for a Shadowrun game. I am assuming Magic is making up the tech difference. That said, reverting to a "Microbotswam" keeps the feel. Edit made.

Other thoughts?

See any errors I made?
DAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2018, 11:03 PM   #16
Kelly Pedersen
 
Kelly Pedersen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Saskatoon, SK, Canada
Default Re: Help/Advice with a GURPS Shadowrun Game

Some comments:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAT View Post
Ally ([Microbotswarm]; Built on 50%, 3pt; Constantly Available, x4; Special Abilities, +50%; Minion, +50%; Sympathy, -25%: +475%) [10].
It looks like you've done the math here for Minion being only +0% (which is correct, since the microbot swarm does have Slave Mentality). The 10 point cost is correct with that assumption, but otherwise it's off.


Quote:
Originally Posted by DAT
Telesend (Accessibility, Familiar only, -80%; Can tell if sending is successful, +10%; Magic, -10%:-80%) [6]
The Shadowrun technomancers I'm familiar with actually use radio to communicate with computer systems (albeit biologically-generated). Are you changing this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAT
Technomacery Enpowerment (Cybernetic Only, -50%;) [10]
Modular Abilities:
- Lightning Bolt: Burning Attack 4d (GBF, -40%; Magic, -10%; Side Effect, Stunning, +50%; Surge, +20%:+20%) [24/5].
Damage 4d burn, Range 1/2D 10, Max 100, Acc 3, RoF 1, Shots N/A, and Recoil 1
- Mind Reading (Cybernetic Only, -50%; Granted By Familiar, -40%; Magic, -10%: -80%) [6/2]
- Mind Shield 5 (Cybernetic Only, -50%; Granted By Familiar, -40%; Magic -10%: -80%) [4/1]
- Possession (Digital Minds, -40%; Granted By Familiar, -40%; Magic -10%; Telecontrol, +50%: -30%) [70/14]
You're using a variant on Sorcery for this, correct? If that's the case, note that the cost of your highest learned spell can't exceed the total points paid for Sorcerous Empowerment. That means that the Lightning Bolt and Possession abilities, right now, could neither be learned, nor improvised, even with hardcore improvisation. Probably put more points into the "Technomacery Empowerment" advantage. Also note, in the default Sorcery system, the first level of Sorcerous Empowerment is worth 20 points, and all subsequent levels are 10 points. Did you change the Empowerment build to be cheaper?
Kelly Pedersen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 09:53 AM   #17
DAT
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Aiken, South Carolina
Default Re: Help/Advice with a GURPS Shadowrun Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly Pedersen View Post
Some comments:
It looks like you've done the math here for Minion being only +0% (which is correct, since the microbot swarm does have Slave Mentality). The 10 point cost is correct with that assumption, but otherwise it's off.
I was thinking I messed this up, just not sure how.

So I should have: 425% x 3 = 12.75 = 13 points?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly Pedersen View Post
The Shadowrun technomancers I'm familiar with actually use radio to communicate with computer systems (albeit biologically-generated). Are you changing this?
Yes, the player state in his concept that he drew his technomancer powers through his link with the swarm, so that is how I tried to model it for him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly Pedersen View Post
You're using a variant on Sorcery for this, correct? If that's the case, note that the cost of your highest learned spell can't exceed the total points paid for Sorcerous Empowerment. That means that the Lightning Bolt and Possession abilities, right now, could neither be learned, nor improvised, even with hardcore improvisation. Probably put more points into the "Technomacery Empowerment" advantage.
Yes, a variant of Sorcery was the plan. I had missed that restriction. That throws the whole template cost out the window. The goal was the 50-75 point range.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly Pedersen View Post
Also note, in the default Sorcery system, the first level of Sorcerous Empowerment is worth 20 points, and all subsequent levels are 10 points. Did you change the Empowerment build to be cheaper?
Yes, I have the Cybernetic limitations added to if for -50%. I had considered the Granted by familiar and or Gadget limitations too.

Any alternative advice for building a Technomancer with a microbot swarm symbiont/familiar?


-Dan
DAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 11:35 AM   #18
Kelly Pedersen
 
Kelly Pedersen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Saskatoon, SK, Canada
Default Re: Help/Advice with a GURPS Shadowrun Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAT View Post
I was thinking I messed this up, just not sure how.

So I should have: 425% x 3 = 12.75 = 13 points?
No, it should be: Ally (Microbot Swarm; built on 50%, Frequency of Appearance Constantly X4; Minion, Ally has Slave Mentality, +0%; Special Abilities, +50%; Sympathy, -25%) [15]. Note that the multiplier for frequency of appearance is applied to the base cost first, and only then do you apply any modifiers. So, you get a base cost of 12 (3 X 4 for Constantly), and then add the net +25% enhancement that all works out to, for a final cost of 15 (my own math was off before when I said 14, sorry about that).

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAT
Yes, the player state in his concept that he drew his technomancer powers through his link with the swarm, so that is how I tried to model it for him.
Hmm. Is that a matter of all their hacking and stuff has to go through the swarm first? Or does the swarm give them their powers, but they can still communicate directly with computer systems?

If it's the first, you could give them some variant of the Telecommunication advantage, with a -80% limitation, "Only to communicate with microbot swarm", and then give the swarm the full-blown Telecommunication (Radio) advantage. Which version of the Telecommunication advantage you give the character depends on whether you see the connection to the swarm being a basically-supernatural one, that can't be easily blocked or intercepted (in which case, use Telesend), or if it's just really limited, specialized radio, subject to jamming, interception, and so on (in which case it should be Radio).

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAT
Yes, I have the Cybernetic limitations added to if for -50%. I had considered the Granted by familiar and or Gadget limitations too.
Could you clarify which Cybernetic limitations you're referring to? I'm not familiar offhand with any that would add up to -50%. In any case, based on how you've described the relationship to the microbot swarm, I would definitely add the Granted by Familiar limitation to most of the character's powers - it's almost a textbook example of what that limitation is for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAT
Any alternative advice for building a Technomancer with a microbot swarm symbiont/familiar?
Well, here's another idea:

Abilities
Natural Radio: Telecommunication (Radio; Burst, X10, +30%; Reduced Range, 1/20, -40%; Secure, +20%; Video, +40%) [15].
Complex Forms: Modular Abilities (Computer Brain; Accessibility, Only to load programs written yourself, -20%; Trait Limited: Only to add programs) [5 points + 2 points for every level of program above +1, to a maximum of +4]
On-The-Fly Coding: Quick Gadgeteer (Accessiblity, Only to create programs, -70%).

Notes: The Reduced Range, 1/20 limitation on Radio is my own invention, but it follows the progression of the other levels, and I think it's reasonable.

The "Complex Forms" ability assumes that a program is best described as a single-skill Talent (2 points/level), providing its bonus to the specific task the program is designed for.


On top of these abilities, you could then add the microbot swarm Ally, as outlined above. If the character is wedded to their abilities being granted by their connection with the swarm, I'd add the Granted By Familiar, -40% limitation to all the above abilities. If you want to preserve the whole thing about only being able to connect to computers via the swarm, then put the -80% limitation for only being able to communicate with one person on the "Natural Radio" ability, above, and give the full Natural Radio ability to the swarm. I'd add an enhancement to the swarm's version of the ability, "Rebroadcaster", allowing it to act that way, taking signals from some other source and immediately sending them out again, rather than having to accept the signals, then switch "modes" to Send and transmit them out again. I'd price that at +20%.
Kelly Pedersen is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
shadowrun

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Fnords are Off
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:57 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.