Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 04-12-2011, 01:16 AM   #1
vierasmarius

Default TL9+ Rangefinder

In High Tech, there are numerous firearms or firearm accessories that utilize a laser rangefinder: the H&K M29 Airburst GL, and several computer sights, including two modular systems that can be added to almost any gun. In all cases the rangefinder adds +3 Acc (out to a certain range), cumulative with bonuses for ammo quality, targeting program and weapon scope. However, there is no mention of any such system in UT, despite the inclusion of advanced scopes and targeting programs resembling the HT Computer Sights.

I know that UT came out before HT, so such a system was not yet introduced. My question is how to add it in. My ideas so far:
1) The UT HUD system (ubiquitous on TL9+ firearms) states that it will display the range to the target if combined with a laser sight or active sensor. Does this function as a Rangefinder, giving +3 Acc?
2) Include it in the CTS and ETS systems, since these most closely resemble the Computer Sights from HT. Perhaps require the addition of a Targeting Program to make use of the range data and claim the +3 Acc?
3) Make it a separate module, adding cost and weight. How much would be appropriate for this? And what other systems would be required to make use of it?
vierasmarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 01:53 AM   #2
SuedodeuS

Default Re: TL9+ Rangefinder

Tactical Shooting, page 27, outlines how rangefinding works. The only thing UT stuff might be missing would be the necessary Ready maneuver to set range. The HUD is effectively auto-adjusting sights, so it should turn this into a free action (provided it has range data from a laser sight/active sensor). As CTS and ETS link up with the HUD, the only question is if they have the ability to feed the HUD range data. As both mention an alternate use as a "passive" sensor, this implies they normally function as active sensors and thus would give the bonus.

So, with ETS, you're looking at Acc+6 on the first round of aiming at TL 9-10. Nasty.
Old 04-12-2011, 02:12 AM   #3
vierasmarius

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuedodeuS View Post
Tactical Shooting, page 27, outlines how rangefinding works. The only thing UT stuff might be missing would be the necessary Ready maneuver to set range. The HUD is effectively auto-adjusting sights, so it should turn this into a free action (provided it has range data from a laser sight/active sensor). As CTS and ETS link up with the HUD, the only question is if they have the ability to feed the HUD range data. As both mention an alternate use as a "passive" sensor, this implies they normally function as active sensors and thus would give the bonus.

So, with ETS, you're looking at Acc+6 on the first round of aiming at TL 9-10. Nasty.
Ah, I see. So the +3 Acc granted by TL8 laser rangefinders is specific to the computerized scopes (ie, they auto-adjust the range). Would this be possible at TL9 with just a HUD, or would you need a Targeting Program for it to adjust automatically?
vierasmarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 09:14 AM   #4
jacobmuller

Is it possible that HT simplified the waffle in UT? eg at TL9-10 the CTS grants +2Acc and the integral laser rangefinder +1Acc but you have to read a lot and hurt your brain to figure it out wheras HT just says the mini-computer with laser rangefinder = +3acc...
And with Targeting software, the HUD bonus becomes +1 or +2 Skill instead of Acc (very nice because the HUD Acc bonus is replaced by the #TS bonus). With ETS that nets up to +2 Skill and +5 Acc. If using Gunner you can use double Acc for the weapon. (good grief UT118 Graser: Acc18...)
jacobmuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 09:46 AM   #5
SuedodeuS

Quote:
Originally Posted by vierasmarius View Post
Ah, I see. So the +3 Acc granted by TL8 laser rangefinders is specific to the computerized scopes (ie, they auto-adjust the range). Would this be possible at TL9 with just a HUD, or would you need a Targeting Program for it to adjust automatically?
I'd assume the targeting program necessary to auto-adjust for range would already be part of the HUD, although I could be mistaken. Seeing as Complexity 0 is good enough to give a +4 to Precision Aiming (from Tactical Shooting), I'd say range-adjuster probably wouldn't be much more - and C0 takes up so little processing speed (a Tiny computer at TL9 could run 2000 such programs at a time) and costs so little ($3 at TL9, $1 at TL10, etc) I'd just assume it comes standard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobmuller View Post
Is it possible that HT simplified the waffle in UT? eg at TL9-10 the CTS grants +2Acc and the integral laser rangefinder +1Acc but you have to read a lot and hurt your brain to figure it out wheras HT just says the mini-computer with laser rangefinder = +3acc...
I think HT is less likely to have gone with abstract simplifications than UT. Additionally, knowing (and adjusting for) range precisely is explicitly stated to give +3 in Tactical Shooting.