Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Play By Post

Old 04-17-2014, 04:56 PM   #1
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Default God Slayers [OCC]

IC thread

The multi-verse is a dangerous place, and it is waking up. Powers long content to rule their own domains are stirring. Things are swelling from the deep. The balance has been upset, and no one knows where it will fall...

You are heroes. At least, heroes of a sort. You have risen up from the multiverse to protect the fragile egg of civilization: a place where men decide their own destiny, where they live in greater numbers and happiness (or at least prosperity) than ever before. You have a vested interest in seeing that they survive and thrive.

That was easier before they figured out how to explore the multiverse, and starting poking sleeping giants ... if only that was all that they poked.

This is a variation on ISWAT. conveyors are in the hands of large governments and corporations. There are no near echoes, and a very limited number of worlds discovered. They are alerting themselves to the presence of cosmic powers that have previously not known about earth. You are the heroes who have stepped up to save earth from their folly....

I'm hoping to see a lot of inspiration from folklore and fiction: I will be happy to see dragons, spirits, vampires, angels, wizards (as powers), genies, demi-gods and so forth. I hope to avoid ultra tech, and classical supers should be framed in a magic-oriented phrasing.

Typical Enemies will include Liches of enormous power, Demons who have already overrun multiple worlds, Rouge Gods, Sneaky Spirits eat fate, and runway curses.

Both investigation and combat will be important, and characters should be decent at both, as well as keeping their heads down: a number of missions will be well behind enemy lines.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!

Last edited by ericthered; 05-25-2014 at 03:24 PM.
ericthered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 04:57 PM   #2
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Default Re: God Slayers [OCC]

Building Characters:
Characters are built as either monsters or men, depending on whether their ability mostly comes from training and skill, or whether it comes from innate powers and abilities. Pick according to whether you need more points in powers, or in skills!

Monsters (1000 points)
A monster can spend up to 200 points on skills, IQ, DX, HT, Will, Per, Talents and skills. After the 200 points have been spent, the cost of skills doubles, and the cost of IQ, DX, HT, Will, Per, and talents triples.

A monster can spend up to 90 points on wealth, appearance, status, rank, languages, cultural familiarity, and similar advantages. These are the only points those items get. It should be more than enough. Spare points from this category can purchase 'flavor' skills or raise a social interaction skill by 12 points.

All of a monsters points must be limited to abilities learnable on their home world, and possibly one other, except for 10, which have been picked up recently. Languages are excepted: they come out of the general pool above. If your dragon knows TL8 guns, computers, or how to use foreign magic items, it comes out of here.

Some disadvantages are worth a lot more than normal. This is because they remain equally limiting at any power level: vows, codes of honor, behavioural disadvantages, and so forth. These give 5 times their normal disadvantage value. Conversely, disadvantages that give more than -4 in reaction penalties are not allowed.

Code:
Skills, talents, attributes:            200
Social, Wealth, Appearance, languages:     90
Cross-World Training:                     10
remaining:                                 700
mental Disads:                             x5 -to powers
Men (600 points)
A character built as a 'Man' can spend up to 100 points in exotic and supernatural abilities. After 100 points are spent the cost of such traits doubles. They can have up to 75 points in cross world training, and get three times the disadvantage for the disadvantages noted above.

Code:
Exotic, Supernatural:        100
Cross World Training:        75
remaining:                    425
Language List

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!

Last edited by ericthered; 05-20-2015 at 12:10 PM.
Old 04-17-2014, 04:58 PM   #3
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

House Rules

Guns:
Guns will do half damage, but have a damage divisor of (2). odd dice become +2 damage. round down, so a gun that did 3d-1 before now does 1d+1. Bullet proof vests will be considered hardened.

Power Modifiers:
Power Modifiers are multiplicative: they apply to the final price of the advantage, not the base cost. For example, putting a -10% modifier on insubtantial( can affect substantial +100%) [160] brings the total to [144], not [152]. Figure out the cost of the advantage, then add the power modifier. Some power types don't work on a number of worlds, and get an additional limitation on them. For now mind reading, mind control, possession, ect. get a -30% limitation with the power modifier. Insubstantial receives a -20%. Both of these are applied with the power modifier: after the total cost of the advantage has been calculated.

Flavor:
Traits and skills that are 'pure flavor' will be allowed for free. This includes age-related traits and skills that have a primarily entertainment purpose. Ask if you're not sure. I'll try to add accepted things here.

Ability Based Rolls:
an advantage that asks you to roll against IQ will instead require you to roll against an IQ/H skill defaulting to IQ-3. This is as in psionic powers. Yes, this drains your precious pool of skills.

Jumper:
Jumper in this campaign should be slow, visible, go a predictable distance, and carry a lot per jump. All instances must take (immediate preparation required) -30%, (one step per jump) -10%, (visible) -10%. This totals to -60% in disadvantages. In addition, you can take up to +60% in enhancements increasing load and duration for free: tunnel, extended duration (on tunnel), carrying capacity, area effect, and so forth. I want characters who can make grand exits and entrances, and carry others with them.

Magic Systems:
Magic is magic as powers or magic as technology. We are not using the standard magic system, RPM, or Imbuments. More on magic is provided below.

Insubstantial
:
There are three kinds of insubstantial in this campaign. Another type may be legitimate and added to the list, but I doubt it. The classes are important because affects insubstantial requires a type to be specified, and insubstantial creatures of the same type can effect each other. If I put 'affects insubstantial' on an attack, I must specify which type of insubstantial its targeting. Please note the power modifier and Insubstantial modifier have not been applied to listed costs.

Solid Magic: This is not truly insubstantial, but is the campaign's version of 'indestructible'. The character is made of solid magic that cannot be harmed by anything except other solid magic, magic designed to do so, or an Achilles heel. Common heels include silver, steel, fire, and obsidian. You should at least be prepared to deal with such foes. The given cost may very slightly for Achilles heels that are more or less common. Insubstantial (Affects Substantial +100%, no Permeation -50%, Achilles heel -10%, Relexive +40%, Partial Change +50%) [184]

Incorporeal:This is classic insubstantial. Your body is that of a spirit. Use normally.

Extended Senses: You aren't actually there. Your body and spirit are somewhere else, you just have a very strong connection with that location. You cannot be injured through the connection, but the connection can be destroyed. To gain this type you do not necessarily need Insubstantial! An Clairvoyant's senses have this form of insubstantial. for full use of powers, following build is used: Dupe ( must use alternate form +0%, construct +60%) [56] + mindlink (self)[5] + telespeak(self only -50%)[15] and an alternate form using insubstantial with normal modifiers.

Allies
100 points 1 point
200 points 3 points
300 points 5 points
400 points 10 points

Last edited by ericthered; 04-18-2014 at 02:52 PM.
Old 04-17-2014, 04:59 PM   #4
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

House Rule Explainations

The Wounding System
:

This wounding system presented here is based on this. There are exceptions, particularly as far as bleeding and FP are concerned. I thought I'd give credit where it is due

Each blow does a given amount of damage. This determines the wound size.

each wound category is twice as bad as the one above it.

six wounds in one category become one in the category above it.

impairment is long term shock, and is resisted with HT

HP/16 -1 shock
HP/8 -2 shock, knockdown none/+0
HP/4 -3 shock, knockdown none/+2, impairment -2
HP/2 -4 shock, knockdown +0/+5, impairment -4, cripples hands, two cripple limbs
HP -4 shock, knockdown +0/+5, impariment -6, cripples, HT or die (vital, brain, neck)
HP*2 as above, HT or die (any), HT-4 or die(vital, brain, neck)
HP*4 as above, HT-4 or die (any), HT-8 or die(vital, brain, neck)
HP*8 you are destroyed. Do not roll.

Costs FP:

you will get a base discount to the advantage for the mere fact the advantage costs FP. This is based on how long the FP cost lasts. For each point of FP spent, you get a point deduction on your ability, as specified. The costs FP limitation is applied in the power modifier step, and cannot reduce the total cost to less than 1/5.

Time advantage lasts per expenditure:
1 sec -50% 6 points
10 sec -40% 5 points
1 min -30% 4.25 points
10 min -20% 3.75 points
1 hour -0% 3 points

Be aware that if you meddle with your FP excessively you will change the math I used. you can do it, just be aware that increasing FP to 50 or taking regeneration will force me to make you a new table-- there is a system behind this. If you are very interested in meddling, I may be able to give you the system, but be aware its big and I'm terrible at explaining rules.... ER works the exact same way, and I'd honestly prefer that if you buy high levels of spare FP you use ER.

For example, a dragon can fly, but finds in exhausting. It costs 2 FP per minute of flight, but is not dependent on magic.

flight (cannot hover - 15%, winged flight -25%) [20] * (costs FP per minute -30%) [14] - 2FP [8] = [6].

if the dragon took 3FP, the discount rasies to [12], and would cost [2], but the 1/5 clause catches it and holds it to [4].

Please note though that this flight will be quite limited in duration, proabably useful only for scaling small cliffs and during battles.

Last edited by ericthered; 04-19-2014 at 10:44 AM.
Old 04-17-2014, 05:01 PM   #5
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Magic!

Magic Items:

World-Based:
world based magic items are made in a single world, and the magic items of one world tend to exploit the same few laws again and again. This can be something as simple as super-hard metal, energy stored in mana organs, the ability to make one area seem like another, or projected senses. Players are free to suggest the magic item set of their home world

Artifacts:
Artifacts are only created by great figures (such as the PCs) for specific purposes, though the benefit lingers afterwards. Each is unique, and will require a bit of research to create. An adequate purpose must be obtained, and the item must be made on the proper world with the proper requirements. Yes, I am making rules for building mcguffins. This requires quick gadgeteer with a cosmic +100% (for 50 points total) and appropriate Thaumalogy specializations.

Creating Artifacts consists of gathering enough instances of the power in action for one of the characters to make a successful Thaumology roll for understanding the power the enemy is using that must be overcome, the place that the item must be created, and the effect that is desired. The more information gathered, the more greater a bonus is granted to these rolls. Any characters with the appropriate skill may make these rolls.

The creator of the artifact must make the concept roll after the power roll has been successfully made. The prototype must be built in the place discovered. The item does not have a specified user. Complexity rules apply as always, though power is also a concern.

Skills:
Power Skill: This is a skill to use a power, as replacing the advantage roll.
Use Skill: This is the skill of using a magic ability. It includes the skills symbol drawing, ritual magic, and alchemy.
Thaumology (power source): This is a deep understanding of how magic works. It defaults to other power sources at -4 or -2 for a particularly related one. It enables Power Stunts and deep analysis of enemy magic-- a core skill for overcoming the most powerful enemies.
Thaumology (general): This allows identification of magic and analysis of how different forms work together. it defaults to power source magic at -3.

Last edited by ericthered; 04-22-2014 at 05:17 PM.
Old 04-17-2014, 09:42 PM   #6
LemmingLord

Saving my spot in line.
LemmingLord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 09:55 PM   #7
the_matrix_walker

Ward: Protection Spell of the Vale

Originally cast as an enchantment of misdirection to protect the secret Elven Vale. Generations have added to it time after time, giving it increased power and access to the ancient libraries to find tactics to deal with potential threats and to tend the vale. Eventually the enchantment's complexity increased to the point that it became self aware
Spoiler:  

Alternate Form Templates
in following Post

Last edited by the_matrix_walker; 05-30-2014 at 01:26 PM.
the_matrix_walker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 01:34 PM   #8
the_matrix_walker

Default Alternate Templates

Warden of the Wood

Not as complex or "natural" as the Mask of the Father, The Warden of the Wood is a visage created for when an illusion will not do for interacting with the Vale, layered with magics to enable Ward to better tend the forest and maintain it as a lush paradise.

Ward must use caution when renewing the land, as the strong connection with the Earth can create a blissful and all consuming communion with natural world.

Spoiler:  

When Illusions would not suffice, and the Visage of the Father proved too vulnerable to deal with some threats, Ward constructed a representation of the Elven war god Avhiall to lay waste to the foes of the vale in times of great peril
Spoiler:  

Mask of the Father

Something Ward hopes some day to perfect

Last edited by the_matrix_walker; 03-03-2015 at 11:38 AM.
the_matrix_walker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 03:05 PM   #9
Poonbahbah

Baba Yaga:
Player: Poonbahbah
Ht: 4’ 10”
Wt: 231 lbs
Size Modifier: 0
Point Total: 600 Breakdown: Attributes 280 Sec. Attr. 0 Lang/culture 1 Adv/perks 201 Disadv/quirks -61 Skill 177 unspent 2

Attributes
ST: 12 [20]
DX: 12 [40]
IQ: 20 [200]
HT: 12 [20]

Secondary Attributes
HP: 12 [0]
Will: 20 [0]
Per: 20 [0]
FP: 12 [0]

Basic Lift: 29 lbs
Damage thrust: d, swing d+2
Basic Speed: 6.00 [0]
Move: 6 [0]

[1]
Social Background
TL: 8 [0]
Cultural Familiarity:
All Human
Fairy [1]

Languages:
All Human Tongues (Native/Native)
Demonic (Native/Native) [0] One of my 2 free languages, the other is included in All Human Tongues

[201]
Advantages
Combat Reflexes [15]
Talant (Jack of All Trades) [30] Raises default skill use by 3
Omnilingual [40]
Cultural Adaptability[10]

(Exotic Supernatural) [103+3]
Ally 400 points (15) [30] Goes by the name Hut but looks like an RV nowadays.
Illusion [46] +100% Mental, +100% Stigmata, +5% Selective, -10% Magic -30% Mental = 25*3.05 = 76.25, 76.25*.6 = 45.75
Mind Reading (Alt to Illusion) [6] +50% Multiple Contacts, -10% Magic -30% Mental = 30*1.5 = 45, 45*.6 = 27, 27/5 round up = 6
Mind Probe [12] -10% Magic -30% Mental
Mind Link (Hut) [3] -10% Magic, -30% Mental
Telesend [6] -80% Hut Only -00% Magic, -00% Mental

Flavor
Unaging

Perks
Efficient (Herb Lore) [1]

[-61]
Disadvantages
Appearance (Ugly) [-8] Stringy hair bad complexion -2 to reaction rolls
Sense of Duty (Humanity) [-45] *3 campaign modifier
Very Fat [-5] -3 to disguise or shadowing, +5 to swimming +3 to resist knock-back Ht may not exceed 13

Quirks
Broad Minded [-1]
Distinctive Feature [-1] Beak of a nose -1 to disguise and shadowing and +1 for others to identify or follow me.
Habit [-1] Fits in "Call me Babushka" into almost if not all her introductions with people.

[177]
Skills
Alchemy (VH) IQ+3 [20]-23
Artist Illusion (H) IQ-1 [0]-19 Power Skill (Regular Illusion) I'm assuming Jack of all Trades doesn't up default to as much as you would get as if you put a point into it. This skill has a generous default like Sex Appeal with stat-3.
Body Language (A) Per+5 [0]-25 Default from Psychology-4
Chemistry (H) IQ [0]-20 Default from Alchemy -3
Computer Programming (H) IQ-2 [1]-18
Criminology (A) IQ+5 [0]-25 Default from Psychology-4
Detect Lies (H) Per+5 [0]-25 Default from Psychology-4
Diagnosis (H) IQ-2 [1]-18
Diplomacy (H) IQ [4]-20 Gives +2 to Reaction rolls
Engineer! (VH*3) IQ-3 [3]-17
Fast Talk (A) IQ [2]-20 Gives +2 to Reaction rolls
Guns (E)
-Rifle DX+4 [8]-16
Herb Lore (VH) IQ+6 [32]-26
Hidden Lore! (VH*3) IQ-1 [12]-19
Interrogation (A) IQ+5 [0]-25 Power Skill (Mind Probe), Default from Psychology-4
Mind Reading (H) IQ+1 [8]-21 Power Skill (Mind Reading)
Psychology (H) IQ+9 [40]-29 Power Skill (Mental Illusions)
Staff (A) DX+3 [12]-15
Surgery (VH) IQ-3 [1]-17
Thaumatology (Mind Magic) (VH) IQ+6 [32]-26
Veterinary (H) IQ-2 [1]-18

Equipment

Combat Load:

Travel Load:

Encumbrance:Combat load - x lbs (none -0 move)

Travel Load - x lbs (none -0 move)

Offense

Defenses
Dodge- 10
Parry () –

Back Story:
Baba Yaga is a witch. And a good one too. Well that is to say competent, very competent. Not really good in the sense of Heroic. Although she has helped several Heroes in her time. Long ago she was a medicine women for her village. Almost as long ago she was abducted by the fay folk who wished to make use of her skills for she was quite competent even than. After a few bargains struck both good and bad she returned some 5 centuries ago to the world we know with Hut in tow. She's watched the world change and has enjoyed changing with it. But know we've started poking our noses around where we're likely to get into mischief and she hopes to help the rest of survive because she isn't that bad.

Appearance
No beauty she would be rather plain looking if not for all the times she's spent around the cauldron brewing various potions which have left her her stringy and her complexion rather poor.

Last edited by Poonbahbah; 05-26-2014 at 01:13 AM.
Poonbahbah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 04:32 PM   #10
LemmingLord

Bigfoot
AKA the abominable snowman
AKA Tunshahn, the Shield Mind

Born long ago, Tunshahn was a commoner who became the most trusted advisor of a great Mayan King... When the Europeans came, Tunshahn could not rescue his people. He used all his knowledge to produce a single potion that he hoped would change one man into a great creature immune to all sickness.... Of course he had to test it on himself. He thought it was a brave act at the time... but centuries of brooding led Tunshahn to the belief that it was an act of cowardice instead.. The king and most of his family were dead before he had more of the transformative potion.. He was able to save a few others this way, but all the Mayan that remain have little knowledge of their history..

Tunshahn became a hermit.. Keeping some of the ancient tomes in his research laboratory in the coldest parts of Canada. He has throughout his long lifespan discovered the philosopher stone, understood the difference between every plant in the forest, to seek out spell components, to teleport there, and to return without a trace. Tunshahn has staid in his beast form for so long now that it is his normal form.

In what the amerikahns call the 1970s, Tunshahn had become particularly spiteful and unleashed HIV on the world. They were breeding too fast. They needed to be slowed down... and perhaps they were. In later bouts of remorse, Tunshahn researched a spell that would take him to another world, what he theorized would be a similar world... where perhaps his people never died.. or perhaps where there are no more humans to remind him of what he'd lost...

st 15 [50] dx 12 [40] iq 15 [100] ht 13 [30]
hp 15 [0] Wil 14* [0] Per 14* [0] Fa 13 [0]

Languages
Ancient Mayan (Native, Literate) [0]
English (Broken, Semi-Literate) [0]
French (Broken, Semi-Literate) [0]
Inuktitut (Broken, Semi-Literate) [0]

Advantages
Bigfoot Species Advantages
St+15 [150]
*only in Bigfoot shape -0%

Bigfoot Extradimensional Stomach [4]
*Payload lvl 2 base cost 2
*Cosmic: no jostling about! +50%
*Cosmic: easy find and retrieve +50%
*Magic -10%
*2*200%*90%

Bigfoot Invisibility [49]
*Invisibility base cost 40
*not vs drunk or major delusional -10%
*blurry vs machines 25%
*extended - leave no prints 20%
*mult pow mod (magical) -10%
40*135%*90%=49

Brachiator [5]
*Base 5

Claws (talons) [8]
*Base 8

Constriction Attack [15]
*Base 15

Night Vision 3 [3]

Resistant (Ingested Poison) [5]
*base 10
*+8 Bonus Only -50%

"Bigfoot Mageskin" [17]
Damage Resistance 2
*Base 10
*Tough Skin -40%
*Hardened 6 120%
*10*180%*90%=17

Resistant (Mind Control) [7]
*base 15
*+8 Bonus Only -50%
*magic -10%
*15*50%*90%=

Resistant (Disease) [7]
*base 15
*+8 Bonus Only -50%
*magic -10%
*15*50%*90%=

Discriminatory Smell [15]
*base 15

Sharper Teeth [1]
Fur [1]
Schtick: Waterproof Fur [1]
Schtick: Easy clean fur [1]
Schtick: Switchable Abomnibable Snowman Fur [1]
Schtick: Amazingly Soft and Comfortable Fur (Acts as Accessory: Pillow) [1]

Spell Advantages
"Epic Detect Life Spell " [50]
*Detect Life base cost 30
*Precise 100%
*material components -5%
*waving hands components -5%
*verbal components -5%
*pow mod (magical) -10%
*30*185%*90%=50

"Epic Lycanthropic Invulnerable Essence Self" [93]
*base insubstantial 80
*costs 40% fatigue -20%
*costs 40% hit points -40%
*achilles heals: silver or obsidian -15%
*affects substantial 100%
*reflexive 50%
*partial change 40%
*no permeation -50%
*mult pow mod (insubstantial) -20%
*80*1.65*.7=93

"Greater Extra Planar Nature's Ally XII Spell" [35]
400 pt Ally Base 10
Different Fantastical Creature Each Time Determined by GM 0%
Summonable 100%
Frequency 15+ 200%
*material components -5%
*verbal components -5%
*10x3.85*.9=35

Epic Plane Shifting [18]
*Jumper Base 100
*Immediate Prep Required -30%
*One Step Per Jump -10%
*Visible -10%
*Extra Carry Heavy free
*Glimpse of Target Space free
*Uses per day: 3 -20%
*material components -5%
*costs 40% hp -0% (already at -80%)
*1 Hour Recharge -0% (already at -80%)
*100*20%*.9=18

"Epic Greater Teleportation" [18]
*Warp Base 100
*Extra Carry Light 10%
*Glimpse of Target Space 10%
*3 Per Day -20%
*material components -5%
*costs 40% hp -40%
*1 Hour Recharge -30%
*100*20%*.9=18

Other Advantages
*Weird Magic Effective Skill 21 Base 4
*Frequency 9- x1
*Usually Reliable x2
*4*1*2=8

Absolute Direction [5]
Absolute Timing [2]
Combat Reflexes [15]
Extra Attack [25]

Fast Gadgetry (base 50), cosmic: artifact creation +100% [100]
*base 50
*artifact creation 100%
*50*200%=100

High Pain Threshold [10]

450 years old [0]
Unaging [0]

Secluded Well-Stocked Lab Up North [1]
Naturalist Based Detect Life Skill [1]
Naturalist Based Discrminatory Smell [1]

Disadvantages
WIL-1 and PER-1 [-10]
Curious [-25]
*base -5
*CR 9 x1
*gm behavior multiplier x5

Compulsive Frolicking [-25]
*base -5
*CR 9 x1

Fear of Crowds [-75]
*base -15
*CR 9 x1

Gluttony [-25]
*base -5
*CR 9 x1

Trickster [-37]
*Base -15
*CR 15- x1/2
*15*.5*5=-37

Quirks
Broad-Minded [-1]
Hates Invaders/Explorers [-1]
Likes Hunting [-1]
Obsession: Keep Earth From Would Be Invaders [-1]
Sasquatch of Few Words [-1] [-1]

Skills

Acrobatics 12 [4]
Alchemy 25 [48]
Area Knowledge (North America, Pacific Northwest, Nessie's Hunting Ground) 18, background [0]
Brawling 14 [4]
Climbing 14* [2]
Dancing 14, background [0]
Detect Life 18 (naturalist-3 default +3 [12]
Hidden Lore (Ancient Magics) 16 [4]
Hidden Lore (Elvis) 16 [0]
Musical Instrument (Guitar) 12 [0]
Naturalist 21 [28]
Plane Shifting 13 [1]
Singing 13 [0]
Stealth 13 [4]
Thaumatology 16 [8]
Throwing (Snowball) 13 [0]
Wrestling 14 [8]

Non-Monster Abilities Passed Limit Penalty [186]

Last edited by LemmingLord; 05-27-2014 at 06:46 PM.
LemmingLord is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
god slayers