Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Warehouse 23 > Warehouse 23 Digital

Old 11-14-2013, 02:03 PM   #1
templar

Default Printing Earlier GURPS PDF Issues

Hi Everyone,

I am having some issues printing some of the earlier GURPS PDFS. I am trying to get several of them done at a POD printer but when being printed in Grayscale the text comes out very light. After opening the files in Acrobat, I noticed that the text isn't solid black, it has % of all 4 CMYK colors (Later PDFS do not exhibit this). Viewing the files with Output Preview, and removing the CMY Plates show about what the image will print like on my printer at home (set to grayscale, black only), or on a POD press. I was wondering if anyone else had similar issues, and what they did to correct it for print?

As a note; here are some of the files I have been having issues with
Dungeon Fantasy 5
Lands out of Time (I needed to embed the fonts in that one as well)
Power Ups 1-2
templar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 02:37 PM   #2
PK

Default Re: Printing Earlier GURPS PDF Issues

I moved this to the e23 forum, where it's more likely to be seen by the e23 and support staff.

Note that we do prefer technical issues to be emailed to e23@sjgames.com.

MyGURPS: My house rules and GURPS resources.

#SJGamesLive: I answered questions about GURPS After the End and more!
{Watch Video} - {Read Transcript}
PK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 02:44 PM   #3
templar

Quote:
Originally Posted by PK View Post
I moved this to the e23 forum, where it's more likely to be seen by the e23 and support staff.

Note that we do prefer technical issues to be emailed to e23@sjgames.com.
I'm sorry. It was more of a shout out as I know other people have printed their PDFs before and I suspected a solution was already found.

Also some of my older PDFs have been updated (DF1-4), but others alas have not. I was trying to get them to the printer this weekend so any fix would be most appreciated ;-)
Old 11-14-2013, 03:23 PM   #4
SCAR

I've got printed copies of DF5, PU1 & PU2, done on a standard laser printer and they all seen just fine. Certainly DF5 looks to be as dark as DF1 to DF4.
SCAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 03:37 PM   #5
ericbsmith

Location: Binghamton, NY, USA. Near the river Styx in the 5th Circle.

In my Dungeon Fantasy Omnibus I had printed at Lulu I had no issues with DF5. I don't see any difference between DF5 and the other DF books.
Kaboom-baya.
ericbsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 03:54 PM   #6
templar

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericbsmith View Post
In my Dungeon Fantasy Omnibus I had printed at Lulu I had no issues with DF5. I don't see any difference between DF5 and the other DF books.
I can post images from my copy. It also happens when I print it on my home computer as well. And again it only happens on the older PDFs. I even downloaded the most recent versions of all of the PDFs, it seems that all of the non-updated ones share this issue.

The only difference I can see between the earlier and the later ones is the text not being pure black.
Old 11-14-2013, 03:56 PM   #7
Steven Marsh

We'll be looking into this tomorrow; hopefully I'll have something to report soonish.
Steven Marsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 04:02 PM   #8
templar

Further update,

I just re-re downloaded DF5. It is still giving me issues. I suspect that printing will vary with the printer being used. When I change the Output preview in Acrobat to gamma 2.2 it looks fine, and I suspect the printers you are using are outputting it correctly, but it doesn't always output correctly on all printers, like the later ones do.

I used to work in a print shop, and I know acrobat can be fickle with these things. Any suggestions on forcing the profile, or converting the text without making the images too dark would be most appreciated ;-)
Old 11-14-2013, 04:05 PM   #9
templar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Marsh View Post
We'll be looking into this tomorrow; hopefully I'll have something to report soonish.

You Sir are awesome! Again, it is basically the older stuff from 2008 and before, and it appears to be the CMYK fonts.

On a small side note Lands out of Time needs some fonts embedded as well. I was able to do it through Acrobat, but someone without access to it, or who doesn't know how to import through distiller might have problems.
Old 11-15-2013, 01:12 AM   #10
Peter Knutsen
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCAR View Post
I've got printed copies of DF5, PU1 & PU2, done on a standard laser printer and they all seen just fine. Certainly DF5 looks to be as dark as DF1 to DF4.
I'm pretty sure the OP's problem is with scanned PDFs, from the 3rd Edition era. At least I know that the original PDF of GURPs China was a scan, with no OCR, and so was a huge file and may well have been difficult to print.

edit: Okay, apparently it's very recent PDFs, which does sound very strange.
Peter Knutsen is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
print on demand