Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-06-2016, 08:09 AM   #11
mhd

Default Re: Hitting Targets of Opportunity in Combat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celti View Post
You might find this post by Kromm (and the thread it is within) to be a very good solution to the problem. I know I have!
Is it really worth the additional rolling and pondering?

I could go with a table like this that's done after the choice, but that wouldn't work with things like off-hand attacks (might not fit the combat style or generally be too bad when it comes to risk/benefit).
mhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 10:04 AM   #12
Calvin

This is part of the reason I really like virtual tabletops. I've been using maptool for the game I GM and I've created a macro that handles that sort of thing.

Hit the "Random Hit Location" button and it picks the location, sub location (from the expanded hit table), and then prints out the wound modifiers that apply, and any special effects for that location.

I don't know if I'd want to expand my macro to include the Kromm post. But it wouldn't be hard.
Calvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 04:20 PM   #13
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalzazz View Post
My go to LARP move for 'I need a hit, any hit' is a slash to the shin
That tends to be an artifact of boffer combat.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 07:25 PM   #14
DouglasCole
Doctor of GURPS Ballistics

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
Maybe. One does note that the shins were always armored in ancient times, though, even when more vulnerable areas were protected (though usually behind a big-ash shield.
DouglasCole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 12:05 AM   #15
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasCole View Post
Maybe. One does note that the shins were always armored in ancient times, though, even when more vulnerable areas were protected (though usually behind a big-ash shield.
There are plenty of periods where torso and head armor were vastly more common than leg armor.

I was talking about this a couple of years ago with a guy that I was sparring with and he pointed out that for one-handed swords it's actually really hard to make an effective attack on the legs, you need to be well within striking distance, you are likely exposing yourself to counterattack, the shin itself is a poor target for swords because there aren't any tendons, blood vessels, fat, or muscle, just skin and bone (cutting bone is actually not easy), and worse the lower leg is a mobile target that the opponent can just move while sidestepping into a counterattack. All of which he was able to demonstrate.

The coup de Jarnac was famous because it was a rare event that is difficult to pull off, and it was to the hamstrings, not the front of the shin. If winning duels by cutting legs was ordinarily viable, Guy wouldn't be famous!

This is probably mostly below GURPS resolution though.

Boffer LARPS favor leg attacks by counting light touches which could probably be ignored in a real fight and having weapons that require no recovery, making counterattacks less effective.

Last edited by sir_pudding; 10-07-2016 at 12:10 AM.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 02:00 AM   #16
mhd

Quote:
Boffer LARPS favor leg attacks by counting light touches which could probably be ignored in a real fight and having weapons that require no recovery, making counterattacks less effective.
Never mind that the faster counterattack in a swing to the shin is often a thrust, and you're simply not allowed to do that in most LARPs.

As regarding to armor, any thread about leg attacks always cites the numerous leg injuries in Visby and the later armor that covered everything but the leg in plate. I leave that to my betters.
(I would guess shields play a role.)
mhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 08:03 AM   #17
evileeyore
Banned

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalzazz View Post
My go to LARP move for 'I need a hit, any hit' is a slash to the shin
That tends to be an artifact of combats where one combatant knows neither how to properly stand nor counter-attack an exposed foe that is striking at their shin.

Or, as you put it, Boffer LARPS. ;)

My "go-to" easy strike is the wrist/back of the primary weapon hand. Another artifact of combats wherein one participant knows what they are doing and the other only swings NERF-safe weapons once a month (again, Boffer LARP).
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 08:25 AM   #18
mook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celti View Post
You might find this post by Kromm (and the thread it is within) to be a very good solution to the problem. I know I have!
Ooh, I quite like that, Celti... thanks for dredging it up!
mook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 08:28 AM   #19
Kalzazz

Well, I usually only throw that shot if A - landing it will win the fight, or B - I don't care if I die, as it does present issues for defending, namely my sword is now extended way out towards their shin

Most LARPers basic stance has their sword and shield etc held in front of their torso, so that they usually struggle against a slash towards the shin

But its an extremely easy natural motion, and your throwing the shot with gravity, so usually even if they are expecting it I can pull it off
Kalzazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 08:58 AM   #20
Agent

Sounds like you might have the Trademark Move Perk. :)

Tags
combat, hit location, melee, random, torso