Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 04-22-2021, 08:02 AM   #11
Christopher R. Rice

Default Re: [MH] Inhuman Template: Spore

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_matrix_walker View Post
That was my first thought too, but it needs special adjudication. Normally, Weaponized (-80%) would require Ranged (+40%), and Leech requires Malediction (+100%) to take ranged, and then you would add Melee (Melee, cannot parry, -35%) to put back the need for contact, and likely another limitation to put the "continuous contact" clause back in place...

It makes a big mess that ends with a significant limitation priced out to being an enhancement. Calls for a more simple ruling. I could hand-wave the Contact-no contact and ranged-not ranged, but then -80% off for Weaponized (DR Protects) seems too generous a discount.
Fair point.

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 08:30 AM   #12
Varyon

Quote:
I could hand-wave the Contact-no contact and ranged-not ranged, but then -80% off for Weaponized (DR Protects) seems too generous a discount.
Going from functionally having Cosmic (Ignores DR) +300% to treating DR normally is arguably a -75% Limitation (+300% is the same as x4; going from x4 to x1 is x1/4, or -75%), so the -80% of Weaponized sounds about right. That said, the offensive applications of Leech are arguably only part of the cost - its ability to heal you is probably worth at least half of it. And, while you need to harm a foe to be able to heal yourself, you can readily use it on captured/incapacitated foes (or even animals, provided lack of other Limitations), avoiding DR issues. So changing the Limitation value to -40% or so may be appropriate.
Old 04-22-2021, 11:01 AM   #13
Christopher R. Rice

This also brings up the question: how much HP leeched is considered to per pound, ounce, whatever of the target eaten. I always shied away from abilities like that because it gets messy. Of course if it's just "I'm nomming HP!" then whatever. I know I worked out about how many HP per pint of blood for characters for my Ceteri campaign because damn it that seemed important. Same consideration might be for this.

Become a Patron!
Old 04-22-2021, 04:17 PM   #14
Sorenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher R. Rice View Post
Weaponized from Psionic Powers should do what you're looking for despite the name.
Quote:
That was my first thought too, but it needs special adjudication. Normally, Weaponized (-80%) would require Ranged (+40%), and Leech requires Malediction (+100%) to take ranged, and then you would add Melee (Melee, cannot parry, -35%) to put back the need for contact, and likely another limitation to put the "continuous contact" clause back in place...

It makes a big mess that ends with a significant limitation priced out to being an enhancement. Calls for a more simple ruling. I could hand-wave the Contact-no contact and ranged-not ranged, but then -80% off for Weaponized (DR Protects) seems too generous a discount.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Varyon View Post
Going from functionally having Cosmic (Ignores DR) +300% to treating DR normally is arguably a -75% Limitation (+300% is the same as x4; going from x4 to x1 is x1/4, or -75%), so the -80% of Weaponized sounds about right. That said, the offensive applications of Leech are arguably only part of the cost - its ability to heal you is probably worth at least half of it. And, while you need to harm a foe to be able to heal yourself, you can readily use it on captured/incapacitated foes (or even animals, provided lack of other Limitations), avoiding DR issues. So changing the Limitation value to -40% or so may be appropriate.
I agree with Varyon and his numbers seems reasonable. One problem I noticed with Leech is that it requires the subject to be alive, but Christopher R. Rice has the Necrovore enhancement that can solve it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher R. Rice View Post
This also brings up the question: how much HP leeched is considered to per pound, ounce, whatever of the target eaten. I always shied away from abilities like that because it gets messy. Of course if it's just "I'm nomming HP!" then whatever. I know I worked out about how many HP per pint of blood for characters for my Ceteri campaign because damn it that seemed important. Same consideration might be for this.
My first thought would be that since "total body destruction" happens at -10xHP, divide 150 lbs (average human weight) by 110 (average human HP*11) for ~1.37 lb per HP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zarawesome View Post
Would Social Stigma (Monster) be counted? The moment you're revealed for who you are, you have to run.
It shows up on other inhuman templates so I think it's appropriate, yes.
Sorenant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 08:34 PM   #15
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorenant View Post
I agree with Varyon and his numbers seems reasonable. One problem I noticed with Leech is that it requires the subject to be alive, but Christopher R. Rice has the Necrovore enhancement that can solve it.
Oh, yeah. I wrote that up. I forgot. >_>

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorenant View Post
My first thought would be that since "total body destruction" happens at -10xHP, divide 150 lbs (average human weight) by 110 (average human HP*11) for ~1.37 lb per HP.
I'd round that up to 1.5 lbs. per HP or therebouts.

Become a Patron!

Tags
inhuman, monster hunter, racial template