Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 04-22-2021, 09:12 AM   #21
hal

Default Re: Pricing Magery for Low Mana Only

In any event, I would suggest, that if people wish to further discuss the "errata" issue or anything else raised in this thread as an aside, I suggest simply opening up a new thread and hashing it out there. I probably shouldn't have brought up the issue if it is going to derail the original poster's intent in this thread - fairly pricing a different price for the Magery Advantage that functions only in Low Mana regions. My apologies, and if anyone wishes me to engage in this discussing further, private message me or start a new thread. If it says GURPS MAGIC in the title, I'll likely will at least look at it.

For now, I'm unsubscribing from this thread because I sort of derailed it a little. Nudge nudge - back to the thread's original intent. :)
hal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 09:32 AM   #22
maximara
On Notice

Quote:
Originally Posted by hal View Post
So, Clerical magic was already outlined under GURPS MAGIC 1st edition well before GURPS FANTASY 2nd edtion was published. Nothing stated thus far makes it seem as though the "errata" is even necessary, largely what ever the errata is supposed to fix, is not broken.
I think it was to fix this:

"A simple clerical advantage is to allow non-mage clerics to use spells of one (or a few) colleges as though they were mages. So, even in normal and low-mana areas, a cleric of (for instance) a healing-oriented power can cast Healing spells. Any cleric with magical abilities can also learn Recover ST. Appropriate cost is 10 points for one college, 12 for two, 15 for three. Spells of other colleges can be learned, and used as prerequisites, but not cast except in high-mana areas." Classic Magic p 95

It has been expressly stated that Power Investiture does not exist on Yrth (Banestorm pg 183). So these non-mages in normal and low-mana areas who know spells must, at least as far as the Classic version of Yrth in concerned, have this old Classic version of Clerical Magic. Q.E.D.
Help make a digital reference for GURPS by coming to the GURPS wiki and provide some information and links (such as to various Fanmade 4e Bestiaries) . Please, provide more then just a title and a page number.
maximara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 10:51 AM   #23
hal

Quote:
Originally Posted by maximara View Post
I think it was to fix this:

"A simple clerical advantage is to allow non-mage clerics to use spells of one (or a few) colleges as though they were mages. So, even in normal and low-mana areas, a cleric of (for instance) a healing-oriented power can cast Healing spells. Any cleric with magical abilities can also learn Recover ST. Appropriate cost is 10 points for one college, 12 for two, 15 for three. Spells of other colleges can be learned, and used as prerequisites, but not cast except in high-mana areas." Classic Magic p 95

It has been expressly stated that Power Investiture does not exist on Yrth (Banestorm pg 183). So these non-mages in normal and low-mana areas who know spells must, at least as far as the Classic version of Yrth in concerned, have this old Classic version of Clerical Magic. Q.E.D.
quod erat demonstrandum? "Which was to be demonstrated." ?

I think the cart got put before the horse.

So, step by step logic train:

1986:
Pg 70 of GURPS FANTASY 1st edition, sidebar "How Religion works" includes the options "Non-intervention", "Some intervention" as well as "Magical Intervention" - where magic is itself, of Divine Origin. In short, GURPS FANTASY had protype rules of sorts, for simulating clerical magic.

Page 84-84 GURPS MAGIC 1st edition - rules for how to integrate Clerical magic into a GURPS Campaign.

GURPS MAGIC 2nd edition: rules for clerical magic pgs 94-96. I've already quoted the specifics in GURPS FANTASY 2nd edition that refute your quote of the errata. The key phrase is "in High Mana" - somehow - sans "in High Man" is copied almost verbatim from 2nd edition into 1st edition...

2005 - GURPS BANESTORM is published, using strictly 4e Material. And this somehow supports the assertion that the "errata" is proven to be correct?

Et incredulos manere
hal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2021, 03:57 AM   #24
maximara
On Notice

Quote:
Originally Posted by hal View Post
quod erat demonstrandum? "Which was to be demonstrated." ?

I think the cart got put before the horse.

So, step by step logic train:

1986:
Pg 70 of GURPS FANTASY 1st edition, sidebar "How Religion works" includes the options "Non-intervention", "Some intervention" as well as "Magical Intervention" - where magic is itself, of Divine Origin. In short, GURPS FANTASY had protype rules of sorts, for simulating clerical magic.

Page 84-84 GURPS MAGIC 1st edition - rules for how to integrate Clerical magic into a GURPS Campaign.

GURPS MAGIC 2nd edition: rules for clerical magic pgs 94-96. I've already quoted the specifics in GURPS FANTASY 2nd edition that refute your quote of the errata. The key phrase is "in High Mana" - somehow - sans "in High Man" is copied almost verbatim from 2nd edition into 1st edition...

2005 - GURPS BANESTORM is published, using strictly 4e Material. And this somehow supports the assertion that the "errata" is proven to be correct?

Et incredulos manere
Sure back when the magic system was written Power Investiture/Sanctity (Religion, 1994), Voodoo (1995), Mana Enchancer (Compendium, 1996), and Magery 0 (1997, unofficial) didn't exist. But if we go back to the time when

Even as late as 1994 if you had GURPS 1e Fantasy, the errata, Religion, GURPS Magic second edition, and Super to work with, Occam's Razor pointed to Blessed as being the answer on how twice as many people had spells as had Magical Aptitude (Magery)

Classic Magic 2e pg 4-5 expressly stated that one need to have Magery to learn a spell that had Magery as a prerequisite.

More over Blessed at its most basic level cost 10 points and a non-mage Cleric got one college of spells for 10 points; so that more or less lines up. If that is not enough in 4e blessed does on Yrth (Banestorm p 212)

A special of form of Blessed does explain, per the errata of 1989, how double the number of people on Yrth with Magery had spells. Heck, that was how a reconciled how Clerics worked before Religion came out.

On a side note The Various Magic Systems in GURPS gives the Cliff notes on how magic in general evolved in GURPS. I think I am one of the few that remembers Magic Power at 40/level that the 1e Supers gave us.
Help make a digital reference for GURPS by coming to the GURPS wiki and provide some information and links (such as to various Fanmade 4e Bestiaries) . Please, provide more then just a title and a page number.
maximara is offline   Reply With Quote