Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-27-2009, 03:20 PM   #21
Mailanka

Default Re: [DF] Homebrew Monsters

(My apologies if some of the monsters are a little on the omnomnom sexy side, as that's how my group rolls ^_^)
Mailanka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 03:26 PM   #22
Kuroshima
MIB
Pyramid Contributor
Mad Spaniard Rules Lawyer

Location: The ASS of the world, mainly Valencia, Spain (Europe)

Mailanka, you should really take all this, give it a good re-read and polish, and send it to SJGames. I would gladly pay for it (though I'm not complaining about getting it for free). Excellent stuff!
My stuff on e23
Kuroshima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 03:32 PM   #23
Mailanka

Dire Beasts

Dire Beasts are really big animals with nasty tempers. They consist of generic animals with the Dire or Giant template slapped on them, making them astonishingly easy to create. For creepy mutant animals or cunning animals, consider tossing a further template on, just for fun.

Animals, Mutant Animals, Giant Animals and Dire Animals are all affected by Animal spells, Animal Empathy, and Animal Handling skills. Hybrid animals must be affected by special subsets of the Animal Spells, but otherwise are identical to other animals.

See also the Basilisk, the Gryphon and the Strix (GURPS Campaigns), and the Rukh and Chimera (GURPS Fantasy). Dungeon Fantasy 5: Allies contains many interesting beasts.

Titan Spider (Worthy)
Some old caverns give rise to some very large, very strange creatures. The Titan Spider is one particularly noteworthy monstrosity, vastly larger than any mundane spider, growing to nine feet across and astonishingly intelligent for a beast. Titan spiders often lay careful traps for their larger prey, and if that prey just happens to be delvers... fortunately, these glistening, black-carapaced monsters are frightened of light, and will flee from a powerful light spell.
Code:
ST: 15      HP: 20    Speed: 6.5
DX: 14      Will: 10  Move:  6
IQ: 8       Per: 12
HT: 12      FP: 12    SM: +1
Dodge: 9   Parry: 11  DR:  2

Fangs (17): 1d impaling
Silk (16): Binding, range 10, no range penalties

Traits: Ambidexterity, Bestial, Binding 5 (Engulfing, Jet), Clinging, Dread (Light), Extra Legs (8 legs, cannot kick), Night Vision 3, No Physical Attack (arms), Semi-Upright, Super Climbing 3

Skills: Brawl DX+3 [8]-17, Innate Attack (Projectile) DX+2[4]-16, Stealth DX+4 [12]-18

Class: Giant Animal

Notes: Willing to give up one batch of food for another. Surprisingly cunning.
Roc (Worthy)
This enormous bird has a huge, twenty-foot wingspan, able to carry away a human without much trouble. Some fly with winged elves or reside on mountains with Hill Elves, serving as their mounts. They prefer to use their flight to their advantage in battle, gliding high and then pouncing on their foes with a dive. Use Aerobatics when dodging.
Code:
ST: 23      HP: 25    Speed: 7
DX: 14      Will: 11  Move:  3/15/30
IQ: 6       Per: 14
HT: 12      FP: 12    SM: +2
Dodge: 10  Parry: NA  DR:  3

Bite (16): 2d+1 Large Piercing
Claws (16): 2d+1 Cutting

Traits: Acute Vision 4, Enhanced Move (Air), Flight (Winged), Foot Manipulators, Ham-Fisted -2

Skills: Aerobatics DX-1 [2]-13, Brawling DX+2 [4]-16, Flight HT+1 [4]-13

Class: Giant Animal

Notes: Animalistic. Willing to negotiate if someone in the party can deal with or handle animals. Makes a fantastic mount. See also the Rukh (GURPS Fantasy)
Snow Serpent (Worthy)
Snow Serpents are strange, massive and deadly snakes found in the frigid Northlands. Northlanders value them for their deadly venom and sturdy leathers.
Code:
ST: 17      HP: 17    Speed: 5.75
DX: 12      Will: 10  Move:  4
IQ: 4       Per: 10
HT: 11      FP: 11    SM: +1
Dodge: 9   Parry: NA  DR:  2

Bite (13): 1d+2 Impaling (Requires a HT-4 roll to avoid taking 3d damage once a day over the next 4 days)

Traits: Constriction Attack, Vermiform

Skills: Stealth DX [2]-12, Wrestling DX+1 [4]-13, Brawl DX+1 [2]-13

Class: Dire Animal

Notes: Animalistic. Willing to negotiate if someone in the party can deal with or handle animals. Successful bite counts as a “hand” for grapple. Hide can be harvested for high quality leather that is resistant to the cold.
Old 10-27-2009, 04:20 PM   #24
Mailanka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuroshima View Post
Mailanka, you should really take all this, give it a good re-read and polish, and send it to SJGames. I would gladly pay for it (though I'm not complaining about getting it for free). Excellent stuff!
You make it sound like I should stop posting :P
Old 10-27-2009, 04:29 PM   #25
Mailanka

Dragons

Nothing terrifies adventurers like the whispered names of dragons. Vastly powerful, almost godlike, some dragons are even worshiped in some parts of the world. They collect vast hoards of gold, steal away virginal maidens and pluck cattle right out of a field. Whenever a Dragon appears, the world calls out for a hero to slay it, and their amazing hoards certainly tempts heroes to do just that, but more than one foolish hero has grossly underestimated the prowess and cunning of his draconic foe.

Dragons are always bosses. If you want worthy or fodder Dragons, use Dragon-Blooded. Even a generic dragon benefits from the inclusion of a single template, but tossing an epic template atop a dragon makes it an unholy terror.

Dragons always come with hoards, its value measured in thousands of GURPS dollars, sometimes millions. The GM should consider simply raising the wealth value of everyone who succeeds in capturing a Dragon hoard by 1 for free, as well as handing out magical items and such.

Dragon (Generic Boss)

This is generic Dragon, modified from GURPS Fantasy. Lacking skills, it really needs at least one basic template to round it out, but the inclusion of just one is sufficient to make this boss a solid challenge for an entire party of Delvers. Many Dragons are Brutes.
Code:
ST: 40      HP: 40    Speed: 6
DX: 12      Will: 13  Move:  6/24
IQ: 10      Per: 13
HT: 12      FP: 12    SM: +4
Dodge: 9   Parry: 10  DR:  10

Long Talons (12): 4d+5 cutting, 4d+5 impaling, Reach C-4
Fangs (12): 4d Impaling, Reach C-3
Tail (12): 4d+1 Crushing, Reach C-5 (Equivalent to 8 lb weapon)
Fire Breath (12): 5d Burning, Cone: 1/D 10, Max 20, width 5, 6 uses per day.

Traits: Bad Grip 3, Discriminatory Smell, Eidetic Memory, Extra Attacks (1), Extra Legs (4), Gluttony (12), Greed (12), Horizontal, Miserliness (12) Winged Flight, Hard to Kill +5, Magery 1, Night Vision 8,

Skills: N/A

Class: Mundane (Dragon)

Notes: This Dragon lacks any skills, and relies on its DX to strike targets. Needs a basic Template. Extra Attacks means that it gets 2 attacks for free every turn. Magery means that dragons make good casters.
Chevalier (Epic Boss)
Chevalier is the breathtakingly beautiful noble protector of dragons. Scintillating, pearlescent scales cover his powerful, sinuous muscles and his eyes gleam with an inner beauty. The Dragon-Blooded worship him as a saint and guardian.
Chevalier is noble and just. He often arbitrates between disputes and protects those dragons weaker than himself. He considers humans and other mortal creatures far beneath his interests, but if they can amuse him in conversation, they may grow in his esteem until they're a valued pet.

In battle, Chevalier is terrifying. His eyes gleam with predatory death and his roar summons devastating storms. His magnificent scales are nigh impenetrable by anything but the most beautiful of weapons.
Code:
ST: 41      HP: 55    Speed: 6.5
DX: 12      Will: 22  Move:  6/24
IQ: 14      Per: 17
HT: 14      FP: 14    SM: +4
Dodge: 9   Parry: 10  DR:  30
Long Talons (16): 4d+6 cutting, 4d+6 impaling, Reach C-4
Fangs (16): 4d+1 Impaling, Reach C-3
Tail (16): 4d+2 Crushing, Reach C-5 (Equivalent to 8 lb weapon)

Traits: Appearance (Handsome, Impressive +3), Bad Grip 3, Code of Honor (Chivalry) Discriminatory Smell, Eidetic Memory, Extra Attacks (1), Extra Legs (4), Gluttony (12), Greed (12), High Pain Threshold, Horizontal, Miserliness (12) Winged Flight, Hard to Kill +5, Lecherousness (12), Magery 1, Night Vision 8, Sense of Duty (Dragon-Kind), Vulnerability (Ornate Weapons x2)

Special Powers: Typhon's Grasp

Skills: Brawling DX+3 [8]-16, Wrestling DX+2 [8]-14, Intimidation Will+1 [4]-23, Savoir-Faire IQ+2 [4]-16, Tactics IQ-1 [2]-13, Traps IQ [2]-14, Leadership IQ+1 [4]

Notes: Chevalier is certainly willing to negotiate (he prefers it to combat), especially if the party has a pretty woman, especially a maiden. If he defeats the party, he'll attempt to keep the woman as a conversational partner. Chevalier never starts a fight unless protecting a charge, or he feels his opponents are worthy. And yes, between his extra attacks and Typhon's Grasp, he's attacking four times a turn. Have fun.
Old 10-27-2009, 04:38 PM   #26
Mailanka

(Dragons cont'd)

Tenebrous (Epic Boss)

The mention of Tenebrous's name stills even the tongues of dragons. If Chevalier is their lord and protector, then Tenebrous is their devil, their terrifying assassin. Jet black scales seem to swallow the light around him as he moves with a sleek, serpentine grace, long fangs flashing as he speaks, forked tongue dancing and, pale, maggot-white eyes with long, snake-like slits watching unblinkingly.

Tenebrous is cruel and lethal. He silently whispers to cultists everywhere, promising them power, wealth and knowledge if they follow him, and he's built quite a band of Dragon-Blooded thieves and quietly works to make inroads in human criminal organizations. Tenebrous wants wealth, food, and to listen to the screams of his victims.

Tenebrous's sins have shorn him of the draconic protection against death. He lacks the impossible durability of even his lesser kin, so he uses dirty tactics to win. His eyes miss nothing, not even in the deepest of darkness, and his sinuous grace ensures that his blows strike home accurately. When he screams his unearthly scream that makes the very soul tremble, shifting shadows fall wherever he calls them, often around himself, shrouding everything in complete darkness. Within this shadow, he makes no sound, not even the softest slither, as the massive, reptilian assassin stalks his prey, occasionally letting the shadows fall away so his victim gets one last look into his terrifying, white eyes before dying.
Code:
ST: 40      HP: 40    Speed: 7
DX: 15      Will: 15  Move:  7/26
IQ: 12      Per: 22
HT: 12      FP: 12    SM: +4
Dodge: 10   Parry: 12  DR:  10
Long Talons (19): 4d+5 cutting, 4d+5 impaling, Reach C-4
Fangs (19): 4d Impaling, Reach C-3
Tail (19): 4d+1 Crushing, Reach C-5 (Equivalent to 8 lb weapon)
Fire Breath (18): 5d Burning, Cone: 1/D 10, Max 20, width 5, 6 uses per day.

Traits: Appearance +1 (Attractive, Impressive, Universal), Bad Grip 3, Dark Vision, Discriminatory Smell, Eidetic Memory, Extra Attacks (1), Extra Legs (4), Gluttony (12), Greed (12), Horizontal, Miserliness (12) Winged Flight, Magery 1, Sadism (12), Silence +6, Terror (-2 to Fright Check)

Special Powers: Swallowing Void

Skills: Innate Attack (Breath) DX+2 [4]-18, Brawl DX+4 [16]-19, Fast Talk IQ+2 [8]-14, Intimidation Will +2* [4]-17, Stealth DX+3 [20]-18,

Notes: Tenebrous is willing to, and very capable of, negotiating, but he may use the time to learn of the delvers' weaknesses and set up an ambush. Truly Evil.
Sylvaine (Epic Boss)

Deep in the wildest of forests where the faerie folk frolic and the sun casts golden, dappled shadows upon the forest floor, there lurks a great and powerful beast. Her scales glimmer with the brightest of greens and blues and just a hint of soft violet. Magnificent, fetching eyes reflect dozens of fascinating colors in their jeweled depths, and her huge, colorful wings spiral with pastel patterns. Her slim body moves gracefully, flowing through the trees as she treads lightly on her claws, her faerie and shoulder dragon entourage clearing the way for her queenly passage.

Sylvaine, like many dragons, has a hoard, but she collects less based on a base lust for gold (though she does enjoy the weight of it in her claws) and more for an indelible fascination for beauty. She collects everything that catches her fancy. While she can be reasoned with (and, indeed, enjoys a good conversation), she doesn't really consider mortals worth listening to... unless they too are beautiful, in which case she often snatches them up and flies them away. When she isn't collecting works of art or fascinating people, she's gathering occult secrets or writing illuminated grimoires.

Sylvaine is understanding and gentle, if somewhat greedy, and very well-learned. Those who think she cannot be roused into a rage, however, will find themselves facing her implacable occult might, her reality twisting magics and swiftly learning that her claws are as deadly as that of any dragon! She tends to save her greatest rage for Chevalier, though, whom she feels is as pompous as he is beautiful.
Code:
ST: 39      HP: 39    Speed: 6
DX: 12      Will: 17  Move:  6/24
IQ: 13      Per: 16
HT: 12      FP: 14    SM: +4
Dodge: 9   Parry: 10  DR:  10

Long Talons (14): 4d+5 cutting, 4d+5 impaling, Reach C-4
Fangs (14): 4d Impaling, Reach C-3
Tail (14): 4d+1 Crushing, Reach C-5 (Equivalent to 8 lb weapon)
Traits: Appearance (Beautiful, Universal +3), Awe, Bad Grip 3, Discriminatory Smell, Eidetic Memory, Empathy, Extra Attacks (1), Extra Legs (4), Gluttony (12), Greed (12), Horizontal, Miserliness (12), Obsession (Gathering beautiful things), Winged Flight, Hard to Kill +5, Magery 2, Night Vision 8,

Special Powers: Wild Caster, Reality Shift

Skills: Brawl DX+2 [4]-14 Diplomacy IQ+2 [8]-15, Occultism IQ+1 [4]-14

Spells: Illusion Spells! IQ+1* [12]-14

Notes: Sylvaine is a good example of a non-physical dragon, using her beauty, her sophistication and her occult prowess to secure victory. While she isn't the sort of malevolent monster that heroes normally face, she certainly has a conflict of interests with delvers, whom often want to acquire beautiful and powerful objects from the same dungeon she might be plundering. And her treasure trove certainly holds all sorts of wonders... Willing to negotiate.
Old 10-27-2009, 04:46 PM   #27
Kuroshima
MIB
Pyramid Contributor
Mad Spaniard Rules Lawyer

Location: The ASS of the world, mainly Valencia, Spain (Europe)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mailanka View Post
You make it sound like I should stop posting :P
Well, if it hurts you chances of getting it published, then maybe you should. In fact, I've written a new adventurer template for DF, a sort of arcane fighter in the vein of the (Un)Holy Warrior, that uses Imbuements, for my campaigns. The reason I haven't posted it in the forums, is that I hope I can get it published in the Thaumatology issue (The article is also out of my hands, so until I know it has been rejected, I have no right to distribute it). Now, I just have to wait until I get some sort of reply on the issue (and I'm real bad at waiting).
My stuff on e23
Kuroshima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 05:29 PM   #28
RedMattis

If the demons have "Cannot Harm Innocents (truly good or holy people only), how can they challenge the Cleric and Holy Warrior in the party?

Love what you've given us here by the way.
Old 10-27-2009, 05:38 PM   #29
Gold & Appel Inc

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedMattis View Post
If the demons have "Cannot Harm Innocents (truly good or holy people only), how can they challenge the Cleric and Holy Warrior in the party?
If they're truly good, they'll probably want to get involved when the monster threatens other people, listen to its attempts to negotiate (and possibly fall prey to trickery), surrender if it manages to get somebody else at its mercy, etc.
Gold & Appel Inc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 05:39 PM   #30
tjbuege

This is really awesome! Thank you so much for sharing this!
tjbuege is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bestiary, dungeon fantasy, homebrew, monsters