Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 05-30-2020, 10:17 AM   #11
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Default Re: [Space] Star system with thirty-six inhabitable worlds?

the uniformity is probably the weirdest part. If you make the moon count vary between 4 and 6 it looks better. Actually, it looks better if you use seven to five moons, despite 7 not being a generateable option.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 10:29 AM   #12
Fred Brackin

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndallman View Post
I wouldn't use such a system. Players would immediately be sure that it was artificial, and would regard the mystery of how it came about as fascinating. This would distract from any other kind of story set there.
Long ago my players found a single terraformed GG moon. After determing that it contained no revolutionary tech they were really only interested in how much they could sell it for.
Old 05-30-2020, 12:36 PM   #13
Michael Thayne

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndallman View Post
I wouldn't use such a system. Players would immediately be sure that it was artificial, and would regard the mystery of how it came about as fascinating. This would distract from any other kind of story set there.
You mean the 7-10 planet version? I think it depends on the group of players. The biggest improbability there might be that realistically, many and indeed perhaps the vast majority (GURPS Space says 90%) of the plants would be Tiny or Small. But if your players haven't thought much about it, or read Space carefully, you might get a pass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
If all other systems in the setting are more realistic, then I'd question the curiosity of the players if they didn't assume this one was artificial.
One benefit of such a system is you can have many densely inhabited planets without resorting to FTL travel. So you wouldn't necessarily have to give players any points of comparison.
Michael Thayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 01:01 PM   #14
johndallman
Night Watchman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Thayne View Post
But if your players haven't thought much about it, or read Space carefully, you might get a pass.
My players know a reasonable amount of astrophysics...
johndallman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 02:51 PM   #15
AlexanderHowl

Precursor remnants should be everywhere in many science fiction settings, so finding aesthetically arranged planets in systems that initially had plenty of raw materials available should not be unusual. It would only have been systems with limited raw materials, like the Sol System, where Precursors would have not bothered practicing their art. In such a setting, the reason why the Sol System lacked Precursor artifacts would be because it was just too boring to visit.
AlexanderHowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 03:59 PM   #16
Phantasm

Thirty-six inhabitable worlds in a five-star system? Is this the Firefly 'Verse by any chance? (Mind, in Firefly, most of the worlds, planets and moons alike, were terraformed, including having their rotations changed to match Earth-That-Was's 24 hour rotation.)

"But mom, I don't wanna go back in the dungeon!"

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Ranoc, a Muskets-and-Magery Renaissance Fantasy Setting
Phantasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 05:04 PM   #17
Michael Thayne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantasm View Post
Thirty-six inhabitable worlds in a five-star system? Is this the Firefly 'Verse by any chance? (Mind, in Firefly, most of the worlds, planets and moons alike, were terraformed, including having their rotations changed to match Earth-That-Was's 24 hour rotation.)
Firefly was on my mind when I dreamed this up, though I'm not sure Firefly worried much about the issue of habitable zones.
Michael Thayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 05:49 PM   #18
AlexanderHowl

The level of terraforming technology in Firefly is suspicious. How could they have not saved the Earth with that level of technology? It makes you wonder if they were just the malcontents who were exiled from the rest of human civilization, and that everything that people know about Earth-That-Was is a lie.

One thing to consider is that Medium and Large Gas Giants should probably have more possible major moons than Small Gas Giants, as they would attract more matter during their formation. I would suggest rolling 1d for major moons for Small Gas Giants, 2d for Medium Gas Giants, and 3d for Large Gas Giants. With that change, you could possibly have a quadruple system with 144 standard garden moons.
AlexanderHowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 06:51 PM   #19
Flyndaran
Untagged

Some try to connect all Whedon's works into a single universe. That would make Firefly the descendants of the survivors from the apocalypse of Cabin In The Woods. Propaganda to hide the horrible truth makes a bit of Lovecraftian sense.
Old 05-30-2020, 07:16 PM   #20
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Thayne View Post
Firefly was on my mind when I dreamed this up, though I'm not sure Firefly worried much about the issue of habitable zones.
I'm quite sure Whedon had no interest in such issues.